Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by deniseann Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

Hi

we are holidaying in Malaga in a couple of weeks but just came across a problem

hoping to hire a car for 2 weeks, ringing around to book, have been told the driver needs the debit card. As my husband has no card of his own, I have the debit card but he is the driver.

also I have only a visa debit card so does anyone know around Malaga airport  where we can hire a car with cash or my debit card as it is too late my hubby to get his own card now

thanks

This message was last edited by deniseann on 28/09/2011.

Like 0      
29 Sep 2011 10:20 AM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar

I would say hire the car with you as the driver and name your husband as the additional driver.

Like 0      
29 Sep 2011 12:24 PM by carolandrichard Star rating in West Yorkshire and P.... 93 posts Send private message

Even with the car hire in your name with your husband as named driver you may still have an issue as you only have a debit card, they generally want a credit card. You've probably got time to apply for a pre-paid mastercard. I recently got one through Monarch and I received it after about 3 or 4 days. This would also be useful if you load it up with your spending money as you do get a better exchange rate. http://www.monarchcard.co.uk/ explains all.

Like 0      
29 Sep 2011 1:32 PM by Fighter2 Star rating. 237 posts Send private message

You will only get a car with a credit card which they will take the imprint of and can charge for any unaccounted fees .... excess damage charges , parking or speeding fines etc etc.

Barry

Like 0      
06 Oct 2011 11:56 AM by deniseann Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

I have enquired re a pre-paid mastercard and they do not accept them as  a credit card for car hire

As I do not drive then I cannot hire the car and we are staying an hour from Malaga the other side of velez malaga so need a vehicle

if no-one knows of a little car hire place who will not charge the earth in deposit but will take cash in malaga or nearby then please let me know - desperate now as travelling nect week

other than that how are buses etc as I have to get to las chozas

Like 0      
06 Oct 2011 12:28 PM by Lorraine56 Star rating in Granada Spain. 51 posts Send private message

Deniseann, Avis will accept a pre loaded mastercard. I have recently hired from them when my van broke down and needed to get my daughter to Benalmadena. My daughter paid on her pre loaded Thomas Cook Euro master card which can be obtained from any thomas cook travel agents and I was the driver. They are slightly more expensive than the other hire companies but it could be a solution for you. 

Like 0      
06 Oct 2011 1:01 PM by deniseann Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

Hi Lorraine

just looked at Avis website and it states credit card needed and only pre-paid card when returning car - don't know why - but need CC to pick up car -

also I have found a car hire company who will accept cash but a 250 ero deposit and the car hire is 190 - I think that is a lot and afraid we may not get deposit back or all of it

This message was last edited by deniseann on 06/10/2011.

Like 0      
06 Oct 2011 1:25 PM by Lorraine56 Star rating in Granada Spain. 51 posts Send private message

Hi Deniseann,

When I hired with them I did it at the desk and not through the web site, they were a last resort as everyone else was fully booked but they had vehicles for rent and they did not queiry the pre paid euro card although we did ask if it was ok to use it and were told it was not a problem. The only thing I would say with Avis is make sure you take out extra insurance as they have a €500 excess and will charge for any dings or scratches.

Like 0      
06 Oct 2011 1:53 PM by deniseann Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

thanks Lorraine

prob is best to book when there always on website there are more rules

will get a prepay card and hope for the best - will take your advice on insurance

Like 0      
06 Oct 2011 1:54 PM by deniseann Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

oops

forgot to ask are they at malaga airport ?

Like 0      
06 Oct 2011 2:09 PM by Lorraine56 Star rating in Granada Spain. 51 posts Send private message

Deniseann, I would have thought they are. My booking was done through their desk in Granada airport but I think you will find them in the main concourse as you come through Malaga Airport.

Like 0      
06 Oct 2011 2:29 PM by oliverson Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

I'm so sick and tired of being ripped off and inconvenienced by the car hire companies in Malaga that I'm going to buy a car and leave it in my underground parking space at my apartment.  It's not a big issue getting there from the airport as the train service is fantastic.

Next up is buying a plane so I don't get ripped off on card fees, etc by the rip-off airlines!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Property on sale (Andalucia, Spain) - 0 posts
sierra nevada - 0 posts
Free Car Hire - 6 posts
el paso los alcazares - 1 posts
School grants for the Bachillerato. - 0 posts
Fuengirola Feria - 2 posts
Rental agreements - 1 posts
Rental agreements - 0 posts
SMOKE ALARMS - 7 posts
Closing a bank account from the UK for a deceased relative - 7 posts
SKY+ HD BOX - 4 posts
WANTED - 6 month rental between Girona and Valencia - 0 posts
WANTED - very long term townhouse in Duquesa or near - 0 posts
New Mobile Phone coming - 1 posts
Banks settling with properties - 26 posts
o2 Roaming - 5 posts
Michael and Margaret - 1 posts
Changing Name on NIE & Residencia - 5 posts
another great trip - 5 posts
EWTELCO - 10 posts
GPS and Satnav - 19 posts
English speaking solicitor needed, Villamartin area - 2 posts
Fast UK VPN? - 23 posts
Bank Security... - 5 posts
Terminally ill - 13 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x