non residents tax

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by noonoos1 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hi

I have been paying my non residents tax each year but last year we couldn't get out to Spain and unfortunately we didnt pay. I have just paid this year, got the forms 210 from the tax office etc but want to know can we can 2 more forms and backdate them?

Many thanks to anyone who can help, dont want to have any nasty surprises if we ever come to sell!

Like 0      
11 Sep 2011 10:24 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

My personal view  (which is not my professional opinion!) is why bother?

The only problem you might have is you have paid some previous years but I don't think they will notice you have stopped.

I have yet to find one person who has ever received a demand for not submitting non-resident tax returns.

The only time we get challenged is on submitting CGT refund claims (3% retention on sale) and then we might have to submit outstanding years.

Even if they do catch you you will still be quids in becuase you'll have saved the professional fee which for most people is as much as the tax itself (especially for those using expensive lawyers to submit return!)

Non resident tax is a real mess becuase even though someone has obtained an NIE number does not mean they are registered at the tax office - that is a job in itself.

At the ned of the day it depends on your view topaying all your taxes and some people like to .....

Like 0      
11 Sep 2011 11:29 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

When my son paid his Patrimonio/non residence property tax in 2008,  for2007, in error he showed the previous year, 2006,  for which he had already paid. He got a letter from Hacienda regarding the tax for the year which he should have paid, 2007

(so in 2008, he duplicated the payment for  2006  instead of showing it as 2007. He got letter re no tax  paid for 2007)

It took quite a lot of effort for me to get Hacienda to accept my son's error.

My point is that if you do not pay there is a chance it will be picked up. A fine plus the tax plus interest. Not worth not paying.

I suggest you shop around and find a gestor who will do the return (its five mins work) for about 30 euros.

NIE. With that number the Hacienda can look at every bank account you have in Spain and maybe a lot more too. So don't think they are stupid and you smart.

Like 0      
11 Sep 2011 3:34 PM by noonoos1 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

thank you for you replies. Last year was the only year we missed, i have done this years. We dont use a gestor anymore I go to the tax office and pay the 1.50 euros for the forms (210) and complete them myself then go to the bank to pay them. I was just wondering if I get more 210 forms could I fill them out for last year or is it too late, I would rather not be subject to the 3% retention if we do sell.

Many thanks for your time in replying

Like 0      
12 Sep 2011 8:31 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

As a non-resident you will always be suject to the 3% non-resident retention!

The only difference is that being up to date with your non-resident tax returns means that it should speed up any refund you are due (but the tax office say they have no money to pay out refunds hence DELAY!)

At the moment it's taking 6+ months to process refunds (malaga)  and that's when everything is in order and more like 12 month  when not in order.

I would say only about 50% of non-resident owners pay the non-resident tax. As per Johnnx's posting it would also be quite easy to run a few reports on non-resident property owners not paying buy they don't.

Likewise it would be very easy to go after all the non-residents who live full-time in Spain and don't declare themselves as resident but they don't.

Like 0      
12 Sep 2011 8:44 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Faro,

I hope that no one will be persuaded by your post not to pay a tax which they are legally required to do.

I cannot imagine where you got the confirmation to be able to say that 50% don't pay,  nor that people are not being penalised for not having paid.

As you may have seen elsewhere, Patrimonio Tax is almost certainly coming back. I do hope you will not advise people not to pay as well

Like 0      
12 Sep 2011 9:40 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

johnnz

this is based on my experience of doing business in spain.

if I look at cgt reclaims then rarely do I receive a file where non-resident tax has been paid in the past and does it cause a major problem NO!

If someone asks me should they pay the tax then I say Yes they should ....

If someone asks me will I get away without paying then I would say probably ....

One day maybe the Spanish tax authorities will take a greater interest in non-resident taxes but for now they don't seem to bother.

But when the Spanish tax authorities play fair then so will I.

I submit many inheritance tax returns (modelo 652) where the time to pay has expired - that's the best inheritance tax solution of all. Again I don't advise people to wait 4+ years but many do and get away with it and also the plusvalia tax!

It's their rules and we just play the game!

They shaft us on additional transfer tax and sometimes impose artifiical values for CGT/sale - so it all balances up!

I do quite a bit of tax filing and that's where I get my facts - I do have a vested interest in people filing as then I also get a fee ......

Like 0      
27 Sep 2011 10:44 PM by michelle17 Star rating. 52 posts Send private message

oops sorryy

This message was last edited by michelle17 on 27/09/2011.

Like 0      
28 Sep 2011 10:53 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Faro.

When I comment here it is based on my professional experience in UK and that of working as a voluntary translator with the police here in Spain for about 17 years.

Laws should always be complied with.

If ones chooses to do otherwise that is their own choice. That Some people 'get away with it' is the way life is, but there are also those who, though lack of knowledge, or for other reasons, do not comply and get caught.

However, I do not believe for one moment that anyone who gets caught would have any chance of avoiding retribution by using your argument, 'When they play fair so will I. '

But that's just my opinion.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Overbuild - 3 posts
Internet in Spain - 15 posts
Where to go for Spanish conversation practice - 2 posts
Does anyone knows or read about the wherabouts of Technologia Urbanistica? - 10 posts
Major disappointment with Peach Groves Development - 2 posts
Trafico in Almeria - 0 posts
Will I have to pay tax if I move boat to Gib - 0 posts
Dia de San Pedro del Alcantara - 2 posts
CHARGES TO PAY WHEN SELLING A PROPERTY - 6 posts
How To Get The Best Rate When Transferring Euros to Canadian Dollars - 0 posts
Hi all - 0 posts
Will we qualify for Healthcare? - 4 posts
Blood tests - 2 posts
Spanish Taxes - 8 posts
Replacing a President wita Committee structure - 8 posts
60% of property value - 0 posts
Fine on sale of apartment called "Liq De Transmisiones Gestion" - 0 posts
Capital Gains Excemption if reinvesting profits in a property out of Spain? - 3 posts
Real Estate Agent responsibilities and % commission? - 4 posts
Al Andalus Car Hire - 1 posts
Best Spanish PAYG SIM? - 1 posts
Recovery of Deposit - 46 posts
Long Term Rental Qanted from 18th October Algorfa - 1 posts
help needed Urgently please - 10 posts
Scruffy Dop needs a home - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x