Blood tests

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by degato34 Star rating in West Yorkshire (God'.... 35 posts Send private message

I have a home in Spain but I don't live there.
I've just started on Warfarin and although at the moment
I've been told not to travel abroad I am hoping to do so as
soon as my blood count is correct. However, I will still have
to have regular blood tests. Does anyone know where this is
done, and the procedure? I was told that it costs about 12 euros.
I'm near to Torremolinos. John

Like 0      
09 Sep 2011 6:23 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Unfortunately I am nowhere near you (Costa Blanca), but can pass on the benefit of my experience with the Spanish system.  Like you, we don't live in Spain, but have a place there and we usually go for 2 months at a time when it's neither too hot, or too cold.  You do not mention how long you are likely to be on Warfarin, how long you are going to be in Spain or the test frequency.  I have been taking it for 33 years and have been subject to regular testing all that time.  However, as I get older, I get less stable, so I cannot go for 2 months without a test like I used to.  I did try to get the INR test done on the NHS in Spain, but was defeated by the bureaucracy.  The village health centre sent me to one in the nearby town, who told me to apply for a SIP card.  They do not accept the EHC except for emergencies, but may do at the hospital, I could not be bothered, so I went to the local private clinic where they charge 20 euro's for the test and 20 euro's for the dosing advice.  Unless you are experienced at it, you may need the advice and some places are not happy to do the test without reviewing the dosing (so 40 euro's a pop!).

When I got back to the UK I bought a Roche Coaguchek XS on a deal through Anticoagulation Europe (UK) at www.anticoagulationeurope.org/It costs about £300, but some health authorities do it for free and after a bit of pushing, the test strips are also available on the NHS.  It's an excellent device and now I monitor the INR myself with great success.  If you are likely to be a long term patient, you might like to follow my example.  You can also become a member for £9 pa and get 4 editions of their magazine the INR Review, which I found most informative. If you want any more information please let me know. Can you PM me yet?  If not post here without too many details and I will try to get in touch with you.

We are off to Spain on Sunday from Portsmouth (wind allowing), but I can pick up messages there as well.

Mike

Like 0      
09 Sep 2011 8:00 PM by degato34 Star rating in West Yorkshire (God'.... 35 posts Send private message

Hi Mike. Thanks for your prompt and comprehensive reply. I've only been on Warfarin for 3 weeks but my anticoag card says 'long term' so I guess as I'm 73 it's probably here to stay. I've been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and still having tests. The consultant says I'm not suitable for cardiooversion.
I was due to fly to Malaga on Monday but will not be going. Maybe can make a later flight of okay. I'll bear in mind what u say about Roche Coaguchek.
John

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish Taxes - 8 posts
Replacing a President wita Committee structure - 8 posts
60% of property value - 0 posts
Fine on sale of apartment called "Liq De Transmisiones Gestion" - 0 posts
Capital Gains Excemption if reinvesting profits in a property out of Spain? - 3 posts
Real Estate Agent responsibilities and % commission? - 4 posts
Al Andalus Car Hire - 1 posts
Best Spanish PAYG SIM? - 1 posts
Recovery of Deposit - 46 posts
Long Term Rental Qanted from 18th October Algorfa - 1 posts
help needed Urgently please - 10 posts
Scruffy Dop needs a home - 0 posts
Non resident capital gains - 2 posts
Calanova Palm..........Bank Guarantee - 0 posts
Amazon coming to Spain next week - 39 posts
hotel or guest house - 2 posts
Short Term Residency in Spain - 6 posts
Self employed tax - 3 posts
Tax in Spain - 11 posts
Lawyers for Conveyancing - Different types? - 11 posts
Lawyers - different types - 0 posts
Satellite tv, white card, loss of channels Andalucia - 8 posts
Looking for 2B Apt Marbella San Pedro area, to move around 16/09/11 - 0 posts
conversacion español-ingles en Skype - 0 posts
Non-Resident Income Tax - A Guide - 20 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x