MOT / NCT requirement

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 May 2007 12:00 AM by gunnerfitzy Star rating in Cork, Ireland & Form.... 70 posts Send private message

gunnerfitzy´s avatar
Hi all,

I'm driving to Spain through France next week and I may be in a bit of a bind.

My 1997 jeep is being NCTed (MOTed) in Ireland on Sunday afternoon and due to leave for Spain on Monday morning. Basically if it fails I won't have time to get it retested before it goes on the ferry. Now as far as I know the strict legal position is that a foreign registered vehicle should have its national vehicle worthiness test complete while been driven. Can anyone tell me if this is indeed the case and is it strictly enforced? Are there many random checks?

Hopefully it will pass on Sunday but if not I would just like to know of peoples experiences in this area.

Many thanks

Michael

Like 0      
26 May 2007 12:06 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Hi  gunnerftzy.  They dont check very much in Spain on MOT  cert.  not sure about France , your biggest problem might be the UK  as  the Police  and different  towns in the UK (proberly Ports also ) now use the number plate recognition system  for  untaxed vehicles / no  MOT / insurance , that  also depends if  Ireland is on the system  as it might be due to the old problems, its only somethink to about.  Hope it  you have no problems passing the  MOT.     Safe trip .  Rosi n

Like 0      
26 May 2007 5:35 PM by gunnerfitzy Star rating in Cork, Ireland & Form.... 70 posts Send private message

gunnerfitzy´s avatar
hi rosin thanks for the info. I don't think we have anything as fancy here in ireland. the jeep is ready for the test tomorrow so hopefully it will all go well! I do think also that any problem will be during the journey to the ferry port. fingers crossed :-) mike

Like 0      
26 May 2007 5:45 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Mike, don't want to sound all doom and gloom, but if you chance the journey, with the vehicle having failed the test, won't that invalidate your insurance?  Wouldn't you then have problems if you are involved in an accident of any sort?  One would think that if your vehicle hasn't passed it's "roadworthiness" test, then it technically shouldn't be on the road!

I can tell you that we drove a French registered car from Paris to Gibraltar and back and weren't stopped at all in Spain for any random check.

I would still check out the legal position regarding your insurance, though.  Sorry if that's not an issue in Europe (although I would think so), but it would be here.

Like 0      
26 May 2007 6:06 PM by gunnerfitzy Star rating in Cork, Ireland & Form.... 70 posts Send private message

gunnerfitzy´s avatar
yet again rosin we are behind the uk on this one. lack of nct or mot in ireland does not invalidate insurance here. funny but true!! :-)

Like 0      
26 May 2007 6:11 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
But does your insurance cover you in mainland Europe, Mike? 

(And it's Pitby here, now!!  LOL)

This message was last edited by Pitby on 5/26/2007.

Like 0      
26 May 2007 6:38 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Just tell us your route & we'll stay out of your way if the 4x4 fails the test & you are intent on going anyway. 

I certainly would've thought that you'd need the MOT/NCT to be valid if you are driving on public roads.

Like 0      
27 May 2007 4:34 PM by gunnerfitzy Star rating in Cork, Ireland & Form.... 70 posts Send private message

gunnerfitzy´s avatar

apologies for the mix up pitby :-)

Insurance covers me for up to 31 consecutive days in continental europe.

Well the jeep went down on the test because.... wait for it.... the tyres are over the arches. real serious stuff!!! I might just take the car and leave the jeep for another day!!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Associated Costs for bits needed in the house - 4 posts
Community fees at completion - 3 posts
Oldest rock band destined for chart stardom - 7 posts
Trevorcra - 3 posts
Long Term Lets/ Long Term Problems? - 0 posts
Short Term Rentals - 5 posts
Free Language Courses For Your MP3 - 1 posts
new to webb site - 4 posts
we sell ford focus trend wagon 1.8. We buy Family Car - 0 posts
Clare and Mike Aldridge - 0 posts
Is there anybody out there? - 12 posts
MARIA - 4 posts
When exactly are taxes due? - 10 posts
Taxation on two properties - 1 posts
Land Registry - 0 posts
Importing an English plated car - 3 posts
hi,new to site purchased in cox - 9 posts
Refund of Deposit - 1 posts
What is this ? - 5 posts
Any good Employment Agancies in the CDS? - 10 posts
anyone bought / moving to San Miguel de Salinas (Angelina apartments)? - 20 posts
Importing a car derived van into Spain - 45 posts
Private Message - 2 posts
information about the Condado de Alhama resort - 8 posts
We're new and buying in La Tercia Real! Anyone else?? - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x