Long Term Lets/ Long Term Problems?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 May 2007 12:00 AM by brian755 Star rating in your mind and any wh.... 52 posts Send private message

brian755´s avatar

Hello every one!

As an owner I do prefer to rent out long term rather than the logistics of the short term rents.

You do not get as much money, but at least it’s a one off client and then sorted until that year has passed.

Make sure you get a contract signed, but never do it for just a straight 12 months. Do a 10 month with an optional 2 months.

This way the client will have to honor the contract and leave if you so wish at the end of the 12 months.

If you do not do what I am suggesting then you will have a lot of trouble if the guest decides to stay on, apparently a 12 month contract gives them extra rights to stay on. Please seek expert advice on this matter as I am not a lawyer. I am just trying to be helpful.

Also it’s very easy just to see the euros in front of your eyes when accepting a long-term rental but I urge you to not only consider your own welfare of your own property, but if you are in a communal area then please consider your neighbors.

There’s nothing worse that having noisy or badly behaved tenants for all concerned.

It’s actually not even fair for the renters if they are not aware of community rules, only to find out that they also are not suited to the environment.

Please be aware of your own responsibilities when you are an owner renting out, if you take the attitude of “I’m alright Jack” then ok you might think you are being clever but to who? It will come around only to bite you in the a-s-! One day soon, so have a little hind site here and try your best to get suitable tenants as it works both ways for all concerned.

Below is a copy of  another thread called “Short Term Rentals “so if you have read it before then just ignore it, if you have not here it is because its relevant  also:

Hello People! 

This is just a quick guide to help fellow owners that rent out short term.

If you take your calendar mark out your high seasons, mid seasons weeks and your low seasons it’s a good start.

This at least gives you a plan of action or a strategy for POSSIBLE rentals.

In the ideal world it gets rented out all year round, but even if this is the case (and that’s very doubtful) getting the turn around factor right can be a logistical nightmare.

Especially if you are trying to organize it from overseas.

It can work but it can also go wrong and when it does EVERY body loses out, the Guests, the Owners, The Cleaners, key holders etc

Ultimately the Guest is or should be your main concern because although money matters how can a family holiday ever be compensated fully?

Holidays are vital to every body’s welfare and most families save up all year for it, so it’s always special.

So beware of thinking that you can make a great return from continual short term rentals, it’s tiring, time consuming and not as easy as you may have been told.

I would say the worst tales told from sellers, mostly the big companies, but also from the smaller ones as well is that all you need to do is buy a place, register it at 2 or 3 agents and that will pay for your mortgage payments that you have taken out. Or if you are lucky enough to buy it cash great but again the return you have been promised from the rentals is just not going to happen.

I speak from experience, My first experience was being taken to Resort Properties by a roundabout near La Zenia, now unless they have changed I can not recommend them as I paid 500 euros for them to hold my keys do so called regular checks and ultimately get me clients. NOT ONE CLIENT in 12 MONTHS, but they did take my euros! Now I went with them because they were supposed to be set up for golfers, I have a place on a golf course so it seemed an obvious choice, but like I have said not one enquiry. I will stay away from agents asking for key holding money now because in my mind its easy money to take from a client and return the client with nothing.

Just think 100 sets of keys at 500 euros a time in one year will return them 50,000 not bad!  This is exactly what happened to me I promise you, so please do not get caught out. So because of false promises, lack of genuine agents for me any way I had no luck on the rental side. Album was another agent that offered empty promises, another 12 months and nothing, they finally went bust.

I am not tarring all agents with the same brush I am however pointing out that you can never be 100% sure unless you do it your self.

That’s what I ended up doing and I strongly advise any one starting out to do the same.

Yes it’s handing back the responsibilities to yourself but at least you are in control. It’s so easy to fall into the trap of thinking “well it will be ok, its there business so they know more than I do, so they will do what they say, they will get me business” Wrong! They MIGHT but they might NOT. Take control yourself by hanging a nice big quality looking board out side your place with your telephone number on it.

Once you have first contact you can then keep tracks on what’s going on, but remember to get their tel number before the end of the enquiry otherwise you may of lost them forever, so be warned.

Appoint a trusted person/ agent/ friend to hold your keys and do the business etc.

But please take heed of just doing what I and others have done.

Spain is great, the properties are great, the life is great and can hold all your dreams but if you get it wrong you can slip up big time.

My place is now for sale on this great site after just 4 years. It is currently priced at 50,000 euros less than the recommended price last year, so it’s quite a bargain.

If you want to look at it for a long term let or if you want to buy it then look at this link: http://www.eyeonspain.com/Property-for-sale-details.aspx?ref=SP462

Well I hope this helps many new buyers or owners that are thinking about rentals. Good Luck, take care and know that you are never alone. (Until it’s your round) LOL

Best Regards

Brian 755

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Short Term Rentals - 5 posts
Free Language Courses For Your MP3 - 1 posts
new to webb site - 4 posts
we sell ford focus trend wagon 1.8. We buy Family Car - 0 posts
Clare and Mike Aldridge - 0 posts
Is there anybody out there? - 12 posts
MARIA - 4 posts
When exactly are taxes due? - 10 posts
Taxation on two properties - 1 posts
Land Registry - 0 posts
Importing an English plated car - 3 posts
hi,new to site purchased in cox - 9 posts
Refund of Deposit - 1 posts
What is this ? - 5 posts
Any good Employment Agancies in the CDS? - 10 posts
anyone bought / moving to San Miguel de Salinas (Angelina apartments)? - 20 posts
Importing a car derived van into Spain - 45 posts
Private Message - 2 posts
information about the Condado de Alhama resort - 8 posts
We're new and buying in La Tercia Real! Anyone else?? - 10 posts
Gardening - 2 posts
Spanish will - 16 posts
New Channel - 3 posts
Anyone moving to Lebrrija? - 27 posts
Veronica - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 1

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x