Community fees at completion

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 May 2007 12:00 AM by ef Star rating in Oxfordshire / Casare.... 150 posts Send private message

Can anyone please tell me, what is the normal situation in Spain for the date you became liable for community fees, ie is it from date of completion, date of being given notice to complete, or from some other date? ie At the time of completion do you just pay for future fees or did you have to pay some back fees?

Thank you

Like 0      
24 May 2007 9:42 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I can only tell you my experience.  The properties we bought were all new so any community fees owing before that should be paid by the developer.  When a new "urb" is built, a committee is formed and an administrator takes over the running of the fund.  As soon as this comes into force, the community fees are payable.  If properties are unsold, the developer (or builder) is supposed to pay the community fees for those properties.  This can sometimes be detrimental to the community as the builder can have the most votes at meetings (1 vote per property), but that's another subject.  When you take over your property, you then become liable for community fees if a committee has been set up.  If you are buying a resale, the previous owners are responsible for fees up until you have paid and move in.  This is the reason for having a good solicitor to check it all out because, once you've bought the property, you are liable for any unpaid bills whether community fees, electric, water or rates.  Your solicitors should ensure there are no outstanding bills to pay.

So, in rather a long winded way, you are responsible when you move in and should not have to pay back fees as these are the responsibility of the previous owner or developer.  Our community is €400 annually payable twice a year in advance.

Like 0      
25 May 2007 12:11 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Just to add to Bobaol's post, if you are buying a resale, insist on a certificate from the community administration, signed by the president, stating that all community fees are paid up to date by the seller. The notary should ask for this anyway, but it's best to find out before you're sitting with pen poised in the notary's office! Some communities charge a small fee for this certificate (which is a bl**dy rip off if you ask me!)

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 May 2007 8:02 AM by ef Star rating in Oxfordshire / Casare.... 150 posts Send private message

Thank you, that makes perfect sense, although not the answer my developer-friendly-solicitor gave me, which is why I posted the question in the first place.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Oldest rock band destined for chart stardom - 7 posts
Trevorcra - 3 posts
Long Term Lets/ Long Term Problems? - 0 posts
Short Term Rentals - 5 posts
Free Language Courses For Your MP3 - 1 posts
new to webb site - 4 posts
we sell ford focus trend wagon 1.8. We buy Family Car - 0 posts
Clare and Mike Aldridge - 0 posts
Is there anybody out there? - 12 posts
MARIA - 4 posts
When exactly are taxes due? - 10 posts
Taxation on two properties - 1 posts
Land Registry - 0 posts
Importing an English plated car - 3 posts
hi,new to site purchased in cox - 9 posts
Refund of Deposit - 1 posts
What is this ? - 5 posts
Any good Employment Agancies in the CDS? - 10 posts
anyone bought / moving to San Miguel de Salinas (Angelina apartments)? - 20 posts
Importing a car derived van into Spain - 45 posts
Private Message - 2 posts
information about the Condado de Alhama resort - 8 posts
We're new and buying in La Tercia Real! Anyone else?? - 10 posts
Gardening - 2 posts
Spanish will - 16 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x