Kindle in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 May 2011 12:00 AM by TJ222 Star rating. 317 posts Send private message

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but the better half wants a Kindle. We can buy it in the UK, but can you use it in Spain full time to download books etc and will both the wifi and cellular connection work here. I'm not clear if there are any licenceing problems. Anyone have and use a Kindle in Spain. Comments gratefully received.

TJ222

Like 0      
19 May 2011 5:03 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Haven't tried to download anything to ours in Spain yet but it worked OK in the US and Scandinavia so think it will be OK in Spain as long as you can connect to a wifi.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
19 May 2011 5:13 PM by Hammersfan Star rating in Body in Essex, Heart.... 160 posts Send private message

I always bring my Kindle  when I come out, MUCH easier than a case full of books. I have never downloaded from Amazon while  over there, but I do use the Kindle's internet capability via 3G, so as long as you either have a 3G signal or a wi-fi connection there is absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work.

If you haven't bought one yet, I would recommend that you get the 3G version unless you have  regular access to a wifi in Spain.

There will be no licencing issues at all. If you get the 3G version, you don't even have to pay for the call, Amazon have arrangements with 3G providers in loads of countries including Spain, specifically so that users can download in those locations at no cost.

Like 0      
19 May 2011 9:23 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Did you know that you can down load the Kindle app. on your pc? You don't  need a Kindle thingy. I've done it here in spain, (and down loaded from amazon) ok, so it's not very portable. Just thought you may be interested.

Regards, Febe.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
19 May 2011 10:27 PM by connas007 Star rating. 43 posts Send private message

I have used my 3g Kindle in Spain with no probs even used it to browse the web on 3g, although very slow for browsing it did the job when i was stuck. downloaded trial  of mail online for 14 days then cancelled at the end of our stay before i was charged, free daily papers , ill try the Times online next time.

Like 0      
20 May 2011 6:26 PM by TJ222 Star rating. 317 posts Send private message

Thanks everyone for the replies. We are going to buy one and give it a whirl. We have a permanent wifi connection, so probably won't need the 3G. Feeling a bit behind the times here lol!

Like 0      
20 May 2011 7:56 PM by pjy Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hi TJ

Take care where your amazon account is based - the prices for books vary dramatically. For example, to get the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo on Amazon UK account was recently about £3. To buy it with an international account (I have no idea where Spain figures in that) it was $15!

Check it out before you buy, because the Kindle is automatically linked to the account you buy it through (although you can probably change it).

Peter

Like 0      
20 May 2011 8:42 PM by TJ222 Star rating. 317 posts Send private message

Ta PJY - we will be getting a UK account i guess.

Like 0      
21 May 2011 10:16 AM by chordiant Star rating in La Torre Golf Resort.... 40 posts Send private message

chordiant´s avatar

Bought my wife a Kindle at Christmas from the UK via my Amazon UK account.

No problems whatsoever in downloading books here in Spain (Residents).

There you have it - simples! Tch.!

Like 0      
22 May 2011 9:00 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Hi

http://www.smashwords.com/

lots of good free books to download from this site for the Kindle.

Irene

Like 0      
22 May 2011 10:26 AM by chordiant Star rating in La Torre Golf Resort.... 40 posts Send private message

chordiant´s avatar

Thank you very much.

Like 0      
22 May 2011 10:31 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

09 Mar 2012 8:12 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

There is a Beta site called Kindleman.com.  You can download newspapers on a daily basis currently for free.  It asks for you to sign up but says it is not taking any new signings.  However, if you go to the newspaper you want and then download the mobi file to your computer, you can then copy the paper to your Kindle (make sure you put them in Kindle documents).  It has 137 newspapers to choose from.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

will I get healthcare? - 2 posts
south of Spain Help - 11 posts
LFO - 1 posts
Valencia airport to Murcia airport - 9 posts
playpen - 0 posts
UTILITY CONNECTION FEES - 2 posts
cheap guest house / hotel in manilva area. - 3 posts
Mattress 190 x 135, brand new - 0 posts
properties in monda with no habitation licence - 5 posts
Spanish youth rally in Madrid echoes Egypt protests - 11 posts
Honda Goldwing Trike for sale - 1 posts
JUST TWO QUESTIONS I WOULD LIKE YOUR READERS TO APPLY TO - 0 posts
Dispute with a hotel fee - 2 posts
Using Facebook to rent out your property to holidaymakers - 6 posts
New-nationally introduced health, safety and security training for workers in Spain - 0 posts
Any info on Almerimar? - 10 posts
Any lawyer/someone with experience who could be kind and help explain the squatting rights in Spain please - 8 posts
Pet supplies - 2 posts
cant wait to leave uk for good - 0 posts
Televes satelite receiver Spain. uk programmes - 1 posts
Tipping in spain.What do you do? - 7 posts
Healthcare for ex Servicemen - 2 posts
carpet fitting in spain - 6 posts
Norman Sands - 45 posts
help anyone ENDESA - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x