Desperate sale

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Apr 2011 12:00 AM by mbpen Star rating in england. 12 posts Send private message

I am desperate to sell my property in Granada on the Medina Elvira development. 

I have a 2 bed 2 bath property on the Fairways which i can no longer afford to keep.  Peninsula, the developer, have changed the contract meaning i won't receive a guaranteed 5% rental return immediately, i have to wait 6 months on the variable scheme.  This means i can't afford the mortgage repayments.

Are there any others  out there who are in the same predicament as me?

cheers

mbpen

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 4:01 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

I am afraid there are, all over the south of Spain to be precise.

99% of the guaranteed rental schemes have been changed or cancelled.

Have you tried speaking to your bank to see if they can do anything? Maybe a small interest only preiod until things pic uk?

Joan

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 5:52 PM by JazII Star rating in Mar Menor and UK. 133 posts Send private message

JazII´s avatar

Can they legally change the scheme after you signed up?

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 6:07 PM by mbpen Star rating in england. 12 posts Send private message

I have been to the bank and they offered me a short term interim mortgage if i met there new lending criteria, which i unfortunately don't.  i am now stumped!!!!

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 6:09 PM by Honeywater Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

Most units on the Medina-Elvira development were sold on the back of what, at the time, seemed a solid, insurance-backed guaranteed rental scheme. This was one or two years before the worst financial crisis since the 1930s changed the financial world as we knew it.

I would suggest that you explore with a good lawyer your right to demand that the develpers fulfills their obligations, as, under Spanish law, any marketing promises are considered part of the contract. I wonder if Maria de Castro from Costa Luz lawyers could throw some light on this?

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 7:28 PM by mbpen Star rating in england. 12 posts Send private message

I need a good lawyer or a miracle.  I did question my lawyer if they were allowed to change the contract and she wasn't really forthcoming with a positive answer, basically Peninsula seem to be able to do what they like.  I only bought the apartment because of the guaranteed 5% rental return. 

Peninsula sacked the company who were going to run the lettings for them and decided to do it themselves.  This is the reason they say the guaranteed rental return won't be in place until you have been on the variable scheme for 6 months, plus the guaranteed rental return is now only 4%.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2011 8:17 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Publicity is part of the contract in Spain since 1977. Everything promised there needs to be delivered by developers. Non delivery of elements or features which made one of the most important selling points can result in a cancellation of the contract.

At these times, of course, check if developer is solvent enough to carry a claim against.

If you cannot meet the mortgage instalments, talk to the Bank first and try to agree on a way of payment the debt which of course can include the dation of the house as payment of the debt. 

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
07 Apr 2011 12:03 PM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

So sorry to hear about you situation. I hope some of the advice available on this site helps.

Unforunately many dreams have and are being cast aside as the various European and World economies make adjustments away from living off credit. Yesterday Portugal had real problems getting their debt away having to pay 5+% and I suspect it will not be long before Spain has similar problems if the National and Local governments do not take some action on borrowing. if this happens there will be more people in your situation.

Until governments and the people realise the true situation things will not improve. The only consolation is that real estate is getting towards it's real value on the Costas, although there is a way to go. This means opportnuities for people who don't need a job picking up some real rental bargains and maybe some lower cost purchases providing it's not on an unfinished community -- who want to live on a building site, not knowing when it will be completed, or if there are sufficient fees to maintain the infrastructure.

Still the Sun still shines, most eateries are open and the beer and wine is still cheap.

All the best in your attemps to sell, I hope you don't take too much of a bath on the sale.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2011 1:39 PM by mbpen Star rating in england. 12 posts Send private message

Thanks for the reply's from everyone.  I am not quite sure what dation on the property means.  I do know i stand to loose nearly £80.000 of my investment Maria, which was going to be my retirement pot!!!!!.

Thanks again for the reply

Mbpen

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Bad News for Ryanair - Alicante Flights - 48 posts
House prices - 9 posts
COLLAR ON MORTGAGE VOID - 49 posts
Tax office Mijas - 7 posts
BMW 316i Compact 1998 Spanish plates LHD - 0 posts
Termites - anyone recommend a company to deal with them? - 4 posts
Car Hire Palma Airport - 0 posts
charges to receive transfer of euros from UK to Spanish bank - 15 posts
Instituto Cervantes already in Gibraltar! - 0 posts
ALICANTE CAR HIRE - 0 posts
Hotels near Madrid Airport - 2 posts
Satalite dish wanted 1.8 or bigger - 0 posts
Divorce in Spain? - 23 posts
Low cost fares from Jet2 - 0 posts
Cheap, reliable car hire Heredades, Formentera, Rojales area? - 2 posts
Bed and Breakfast License - 26 posts
car hire reus airport - 1 posts
changing house insurance - advice/information required please. - 8 posts
Searching for long term rental villa. - 2 posts
Driving London to Malaga via Eurotunnel - 9 posts
Can this be done? - 8 posts
MOTORHOME WANTED - 3 posts
Dart 18 beach catamaran - 2 posts
Hello - 1 posts
UNPAID COMMUNITY FEES - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x