Divorce in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Apr 2011 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

A lady friend wants a divorce in Spain. It was something of an 11-month disaster to a control freak abusive husband - after the event. Typically Spain; you ask one question and you get ten different answers. How easy is it to get a divorce; prices and procedures?

His fault but her penalty for he refuses to divorce her. This means she has to pay money (she hasn’t got) to be free of him and get her life back. Where is the justice in that? Any advice, particularly from a legal expert, is welcomed. – Mike

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
05 Apr 2011 5:30 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

Ask a lawyer, that is your best bet.

Like 0      
05 Apr 2011 5:33 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I did so, Joan. He want €1,500 basic price, no fuss procedure. She doesn't have that kind of money. I think in the UK, if the marriage has lasted under a certain period (could be 24 months; this one is 11 months) it is a very simple and inexpensive procedure. That might be the best bet.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

Like 0      
05 Apr 2011 5:59 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

Check with other lawyers, i know a good one, if you want his details send me a private message.

Like 0      
05 Apr 2011 6:01 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

It is not possible in UK to start divorce proceedings within one year of marriage.  Judicial separations, though, are a possibility.

Like 0      
05 Apr 2011 9:07 PM by KellyMaria Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

If she earns under a certain amount she can get legal aide and the court will allocate a lawyer to her.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 12:21 AM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

Assuming that she is British the first thing is to decide whether she fares better under English or Spanish law.  Because the first to file determines jurisdiction under something called the Brussels 2 treaty.  If her husband is resisting a divorce he is presumably unlikely to file so delaying a month to be able to file in England is no hardship. 

She can apply for a divorce in England and Wales after being married for one year.  To do this she will have to say that her domicile is England.  It's a pretty nebulous concept but amounts to no more than saying it's where my heart is and is little more than a formality.  And you can do much of it yourself with little or no expense.  The only time she might need a lawyer would be if he contested it.

She would presumably cite unreasonable behaviour as the grounds for the irretrievable breakdown of her marriage but see the link to the UK government website on proofs

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Divorceseparationandrelationshipbreakdown/Endingamarriageorcivilpartnership/Gettingadivorce/DG_193734

This message was last edited by jek on 06/04/2011.

Like 0      
06 Apr 2011 7:31 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Mike:

Divorce is very easy in Spain since 2005. If they have no children, even more: just three months of marriage are required in general and even less than that if you prove a risk to your life or health

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 06/04/2011.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
24 Jun 2011 3:23 PM by LOST Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

YOU CAN ONLY GET A DIVORCE IN THECOUNTRY YOU WERE MARRIED IN

AFTER A YEARS SEPARATION IF UK MARRIED EASY TO DO YOURSELF IN COUNTY COURT AND COSTS VERY LITTLE TO DO

OH AND IF AS APPEARS IS A NASTY PIECE OF WORK IS A GOOD IDEA TO CHANGE THE DOOR LOCKS

This message was last edited by LOST on 24/06/2011.

Like 0      
24 Jun 2011 4:38 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Lost

That isn't entirely true.  I was married in England and living in England, however my ex-husband moved to Scotland, so I was able to get a divorce through the Scottish courts, which actually worked out cheaper for me!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
24 Jun 2011 7:32 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

Lost.

You are completely wrong.  First to file determines jurisdiction.

And why have you left it ten weeks to post?  She's probably divorced by now.

Like 0      
24 Jun 2011 8:36 PM by LOST Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

well first  thenyou wait 3 months to get into court you get a  degree nisi then wait a year and apply to court for actual divorce papers

Like 0      
24 Jun 2011 8:37 PM by LOST Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Sue of course can get divorce in scotland its part of the uk still just!

This message was last edited by LOST on 24/06/2011.

Like 0      
24 Jun 2011 11:34 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Lost

You specified "country", which suggests either England or Scotland or Wales etc.  Not the UK which of course includes England and Scotland etc, as you now state.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
25 Jun 2011 11:22 AM by LOST Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi Sue

The original question was should they get divorced in Spain or England. I merely pointed out you can only get divorced in the country You were married in. This is true for any country in the world.

Cheers

This message was last edited by LOST on 25/06/2011.

This message was last edited by LOST on 25/06/2011.

Like 0      
25 Jun 2011 11:42 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I am the original poster. The lady is being divorced through the Spanish courts and a Spanish legal company is dealing with it. Thanks to those who contributed. Much appreciated. Mike

Like 0      
25 Jun 2011 12:06 PM by LOST Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Well I suppose she can do process but will not be valid in UK

Not sure what the following actually means but note the use of the word could and it seems would still need to go to an English court for final result which would require English translation of all documents legalised by a notary public.

2.1.1 The courts ruled in the case of Indyka v Indyka (1966) that a foreign divorce could be recognised by the English courts if one of the parties had a real and substantial connection with the country in which the decree was granted. The Judge held that when an alteration in English law widens the divorce jurisdiction of the English courts, the correspondingly widened recognition of decrees pronounced abroad applies only after, and not before, the change in English municipal law. Recognition of, in this case, a Czech divorce, pronounced in January 1949, had been sought on the basis that the Czech court's jurisdiction would have been recognised if the Law Reform (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1949 had governed the question of jurisdiction. But since that Act had not taken effect until December 1949, and had no retrospective effect, the Czech decree could not be recognised by English law.

Like 0      
25 Jun 2011 1:51 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

"The original question was should they get divorced in Spain or England. I merely pointed out you can only get divorced in the country You were married in. This is true for any country in the world."

Just................plain................WRONG.  You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.  Best leave it to others who do.

Like 0      
25 Jun 2011 2:34 PM by LOST Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Spam **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 26/06/2011.

Like 0      
25 Jun 2011 9:18 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Last marriage residency jurisdiction can hear and decide on their divorce

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Low cost fares from Jet2 - 0 posts
Cheap, reliable car hire Heredades, Formentera, Rojales area? - 2 posts
Bed and Breakfast License - 26 posts
car hire reus airport - 1 posts
changing house insurance - advice/information required please. - 8 posts
Searching for long term rental villa. - 2 posts
Driving London to Malaga via Eurotunnel - 9 posts
Can this be done? - 8 posts
MOTORHOME WANTED - 3 posts
Dart 18 beach catamaran - 2 posts
Hello - 1 posts
UNPAID COMMUNITY FEES - 3 posts
VIALLI´S RESTAURANT PLAYA FLAMENCA VIA PARK 1 - 1 posts
Help with legal forms in Spanish - 4 posts
will there be an embargo on my car - 2 posts
Any One Got A Van Travelling To Murcia Region from UK With Any Room? - 2 posts
O'Hara's Fuengirola - 0 posts
Nurseries on Costa Del Sol - 0 posts
Wanted Stone Barbeque with chimney - 6 posts
Anyone know of a decent taxi shuttle service in Palma, mallorca? - 0 posts
Airport transfers - 4 posts
places to eat in Cartagena - 4 posts
Ford Puma 1.7, Black, San Javier area! - 1 posts
Register to vote (new window) - 13 posts
Repairs - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x