dangerous dogs in Andalucia

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Apr 2011 12:00 AM by JennySz Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Can anyone tell me if German Shepherds/Alsatians are on the dangerous dogs list in Andalucia? Last night my little French Bulldog was attacked by one (it also attacked a mini yorkie last month), it wasn't on a lead, wasn't muzzled and ran through a childrens playground to get to my dog!

I want to report this dog (as the owner clearly doesn't give a **** aside from being a chauvanist pig and refusing to talk to me only husband) i don't want this happening to any other small dog in my area let alone a child. The thing is, i know what Spanish beurocracy is like and it's only worth persuing if the dog is on the list and i have photos of it off the lead and unmuzzled.......

Like 0      
01 Apr 2011 9:03 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

It's all the dogs on the list PLUS any dog that weighs over 25 kgs.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2011 10:21 PM by samcampbell Star rating in Costa Del Sol. 136 posts Send private message

samcampbell´s avatar

Where children are involved the Police will act, as all dogs have to be on a lead in or around Children's playareas.

Sam Campbell Business 1st...

mail: info@business1st.es

www.business1st.es

Like 0      
01 Apr 2011 11:30 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

German Shepherds are not on the list of potentially dangerous dogs but my source says that other breeds/crosses can qualify if they have, amongst other things, a deep chest (60 to 80 cm), height of over 50 cm and a weight over 20 Kg.

Jenny Sz, I would advise that you persist.  The regulations also say that dogs that have a track record of aggression to humans and other animals must also be licensed and registered.  So your action could mean that this specific dog would be brought within the provisions of the dangerous dogs regulations irrespective of its breed.

Gus - I am using http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_datos/Admin/rd287-2002.html as the source for this.  Has that been overtaken now?

Sam - I'm not arguing but what's your source for the all dogs bit?  In Andalucia, dangerous animals are banned from entering children's leisure or recreational areas. 

Like 0      
01 Apr 2011 11:32 PM by JennySz Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Thanks guys, the most concerning thing is that this guy was playing with his 2 yr old when i went to confront him, who's not much bigger than my puppy fenchie... ijust hate to think what would've happened had it not been my husband with the dog, or had my friends had their baby with us, next stop - police

Like 0      
01 Apr 2011 11:36 PM by JennySz Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

thanks Jek, the insurance i use for my dog has G. Shepherds listed as a dangerous dog, but i couldn't find this on any other list.....

it's a bit difficult re the childrens playground as it's situated in the middle of a residential area and everyone walks their dogs through it to get to the main road (Including us, but we do have ours on a lead)

Like 0      
02 Apr 2011 8:05 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

From here Jek ; http://www.thedogman.net/DogmanArticlesText.asp?ID=%20202

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
02 Apr 2011 9:30 PM by _Chris_ Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

It's a big problem in Spain, (but much bigger in the UK!). There's some details of a few of the dogs that are on the dangerous dogs list, on quite a big info page, just google dangerous dogs, and about the 3rd one down for ukandspain dot  c o m

Like 0      
02 Apr 2011 11:35 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

See page 14 for the correct up to date list of breeds considered dangerous...

http://www.fundacion-affinity.org/new/es/material/legislacion/ANDALUCÍA, DECRETO 42-2008, de 12 de febrero, Tenencia de Animales Potencialmente Peligrosos.pdf'

The list is also posted at veterinary clinics.

As a breed the GSD is not considered dangerous in Andalucia. However...any breed weighing in at over 25Kgs needs to be muzzled and on a leash in public.

As an owner of many large dogs in my lifetime, I have to say that generally the bigger they are the more gentle they are. Its the ankle biting Yappie Snappies that are the problem. Especially the males... balls bigger than their brains...

Please consider this... do you want the owner punished or the dog... punishment for the dog could well be terminal... and the perreras in Spain are incredibly brutal places...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
04 Apr 2011 9:52 AM by JennySz Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Thanks guys,

foxbat - i don't want the dog punished, i just want the thickhead of an onwer to realise that he has to put his dog on a lead and muzzle and not go into the childrens playground. if it had been me walking my dog and not my husband, my dog would be dead.

Also - since the incident, i have been sepaking to a few other locals, who funnily enough, all know this man and know of a dog that has been bitten by his.

Funnily enough, it's th little yappy dogs, that the locals DO keep on leads!

What happens if next time it's a baby and not dog?

Like 0      
04 Apr 2011 12:47 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

Jenny

If you know who the owner is and have an address for him, then you really should get your bum down to the town hall and complete a denuncia over the incident that you described. (I think it's the town hall but if it's the Guardia they'll soon tell you).  Once you do that you trigger a process that involves the dog being examined by a vet and, normally, that dog classified as a potentially dangerous dog irrespective of breed or anything else.  That then carries the requirement that it be licensed and that it meet all the other requirements for potentially dangerous dogs including muzzling, always being on a lead of not more than two metres (one metre in Andalucia) and being banned from children play areas.

Like 0      
04 Apr 2011 3:52 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Definitely the local GC Cuartel; or maybe even the Policia Local.

Jenny...I didn't mean to come across all heavy; when we lived in England one of my big dogs an Alsation / Collie cross was set upon by four big Airedale Terriers who were runnng off the leash. I had a long chat with the owner of the Airedales who it turns out is a well respected breeder. He pointed out one very simple fact, by keeping my dog leashed, I had removed one of her options in the 'fight or flight' scenario and she thus became a captive target, and easy prey for a large pack especially a working breed like the Airdales.

This is a lesson I have remembered ever since, especially since my original pack of two has now increased to six.... by my taking on the village abandonados, dogs which otherwise have almost certainly finished up run over or collected by the GC for transport to the perrera.

More power to you if you do report the guy, but I still have reservations about the outcome for the dog...there are very few irresponsible dogs but a hell of a lot of irresponsible owners, particularly where large breeds are concerned.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
04 Apr 2011 4:08 PM by JennySz Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi guys,

having spoken to a few friends and also a neighbour who's guardia - it would take me a few years to get anything done legally about this guy, so my option is back to threatening the guy with the police every time i see him or one of the neighbours sees him without the dog on a lead/muzzle

foxbat - no probs! I really don't want to see the dog put down (rather the owner!) as i understand that it's the irresponsibilty of the owner, my Frenchie is actually good friends with a few other large dogs, boxers & rotties, but i also don't want to have to carry a big bloody stick every time i take him for a walk!! 

I now permanently have my camera with me, and am hoping to catch the guy with no lead, so i can threaten him with a denuncia and hope this does the trick to him keeping the dog on a lead

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

For sale Ford Puma, Black, San Javier area! - 0 posts
Housing Benefit for pensioners in Spain - 1 posts
Signwriters - 0 posts
Green Power Sucks! - 2 posts
LONG TERM RENT CAMPOSOL - 0 posts
RE/MAX and lettings management - 0 posts
LONG TERM RENTAL WANTED - 1 posts
Certificate of good conduct ! - 2 posts
Name and Shame Bad Tenants - 6 posts
Bars in Fuengirola showing cricket? - 0 posts
Confirmed: Buyers deposits for Herrada del Tollo, San Jose covered by generic guarantee policy - 5 posts
ATESA SPAIN - 1 posts
Valor Catastral,IBI Payments - 1 posts
Huercal Overa - flies & pig farms - 16 posts
Double Gates for sale - 2 posts
Lost Your Deposit!!! - 1 posts
MR WHIPPY ICE CREAM BUSINESS FOR SALE - 0 posts
WANTED PATIO AWNING - 0 posts
Legal interest is covered by bank guarantee. Buyers can still claim to SGR - 11 posts
Tacky Tin Tables - 0 posts
Fined and I don't know why! - 9 posts
PLAYAS DE CALABARDINA - 0 posts
boat owner laws in spain/canaries ? - 1 posts
HD in Spain - 3 posts
What can we do for this to change? Most Brits in Spain say no gracias to integration - 15 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x