Día de Andalucía

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Feb 2011 12:00 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Do not call our office tomorrow.... we are celebrating día de andalucía

Olé mi tierra!

María

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 27/02/2011.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
27 Feb 2011 6:37 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Yup!

Me too!

Phone of the hook.... not in!

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 27/02/2011.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
27 Feb 2011 7:58 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I don't wish to sound disrespectful, but what exactly is the point of it? We have international holidays, national holidays, regional holidays, even town holidays. And nothing gets done even when the neighbouring town (Málaga) has a holiday. Just seems a bit OTT to me.  

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Feb 2011 9:19 PM by elcantal Star rating in Mojacar. 24 posts Send private message

Around here it's quite a celebration. In the village there's a giant paella party followed by an exhibition of Flamenco dancing. On the down side, some of the chirringuitos will be opening with a fanfare of 'hard rock'.

On the whole, I prefer Dia de Andalucia to St Georges Day and Trafalgar Day which some vecinos seem to enjoy; but each to their own.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2011 9:48 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Trafalgar day?  Never mind the fact that you are nowhere near Trafalgar, surely the Spanish don't celebrate Trafalgar?? Not exactly something they'd want to remember, I'd have thought. There isn't even a plaque to commemorate the (many) dead at Cape Trafalgar itself - it's like it never happened.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Feb 2011 9:56 PM by elcantal Star rating in Mojacar. 24 posts Send private message

Quite; it's the Brit community who celebrate. I find it a bit distasteful myself but there you are.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2011 10:06 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Never heard of anyone celebrating it in England; to celebrate here seems more than distasteful. Might as well p1ss in the paella. What a bunch of ar5eholes the Brit community over there must be!

I was wondering about St.George, but since every town, and even every person, in Spain, seems to have its / their  "own" saint, and by extension therefore an excuse for yet another day of doing sod all, I just assumed that Mojácar has St. Jorge as its patron. Silly me.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Feb 2011 10:12 PM by elcantal Star rating in Mojacar. 24 posts Send private message

Can't disagree with your 1st paragraph but please don't quote me.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2011 12:14 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

The fact that we (Mrs Technoape and I) now live in Spain means we are British Ex-pats.

That does not mean we forget about our British Patron Saints.

Having said that, I do observe the tradition of St. David's Day, and wear a Daffodil...

Umm! As for Mrs Technoape she did just remark, quite ashamedly actually, that she's not too sure what day St. George's day falls on! (gasp)

I think celebrating your national day as an ex-pat is taken in good light by the Spanish, it certainly raised a smile or two and some inquisitive remarks from the locals in Sabinillas when I wore a Daf last year!

And Yes! I shall be doing the same this year!

Back on topic.... the fact that Andalucia is an Autonomous Region and that the Andalucian People get behind it and celebrate it with such gusto is great!

Hang on! Sorry... off topic a bit now...

I've only just realised as I typed it....

The English language has a Spanish word in it's vocabulary.... Gusto as in Enthusiasm

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
28 Feb 2011 1:35 PM by Popeyesol Star rating in Lubrin. 9 posts Send private message

Any excuse for a fiesta sounds good to me!

Like 0      
28 Feb 2011 1:55 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Well we had a party for St Andrew's Day (Día de San Andrés) last year. We couldn't have it on the actual day as some people were working, so we had it on the Saturday instead.  We invited Spanish friends and neighbours as well as other expats - any excuse for a party!

We even had an inauguration party for the apartment block where we live - we all paid 5€ to cover the food and drink - and it was agreed that we would have a party in May every year.  Everybody around here enjoys a good fiesta!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
28 Feb 2011 6:04 PM by Comadreja Star rating in the Sierra de Cadiz. 51 posts Send private message

Comadreja´s avatar

I live near Cape Trafalgar and I can assure you the Spanish do not celebrate Trafalgar Day.  To them, it is a war grave.

Many visitors from the UK who regard Nelson as a great hero go there on some sort of pilgrimage, and are surprised to find it is just a peninsular with a lighthouse on the end, with a small plaque commemorating the dead on all sides - Spanish, French and British.

I hear that the British government are considering scrapping the May Day bank holiday and having Trafalgar Day instead because it might encourage more tourists.  Do they not see the irony in this?  

Like 0      
28 Feb 2011 10:06 PM by elcantal Star rating in Mojacar. 24 posts Send private message

Please don't get me wrong. I'm in no way suggesting that the Spanish here celebrate Trafalgar Day. No, it's a small minority of the Engish community, including the British Legion.

As I said before, I find it offensive and embarassing. I wonder if the Brits living in France celebrate Agincourt etc?

Lovely part of Spain, Sierra de Cadiz. I live in a desert; maybe it affects one's judgement!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Would you have a Spanish student - 12 posts
Furniture for sale in Murcia - 1 posts
Tapatalk compatible? - 2 posts
Leather Chairs - 3 posts
Taxes in Spain for the over 65's - 11 posts
Television / Viasat - 1 posts
Torrestat with teleast - 8 posts
world superbikes - 5 posts
Sausage Day in Formentera del Segura - 0 posts
Camposol, Mazarron, Murcia | F.A.S.T. Public Meeting 7th March - 0 posts
second hand accoustic guitar (left handed ) required - 0 posts
Room Sizes - 2 posts
Wanted 2 cat boxes suitable for air travel - 0 posts
Automotive Cars - Malaga - 1 posts
Under 16s, pools and Andalucia - 16 posts
Mojacar Restaurants with Entertainment for Birthday Celebrations - 2 posts
Portofino Alcaidesa - 0 posts
Property management services - beware! - 0 posts
Community fee - Different question - 4 posts
New thread called "Vitamins in Spain" - especially for Mr Ackers! - 2 posts
A Spanish view of the Justice System in Spain - 1 posts
Take The Pedal Off The Metal - 3 posts
If you have some spare time - 0 posts
House for rent - 0 posts
Smoking in Corridors of Apartment Blocks - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x