Lots of questions... need advice please

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Jan 2011 12:00 AM by ijha85 Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Trying to post this in two parts just incase it is the length of it that is preventing me posting it.

Hi everyone,

Basically i'm looking to come to Spain for an extended holiday of 6 months, maybe another few months depending on my situation.

I plan to save enough money beforehand to last me the duration of my stay. I can do work (internet based) from where i would be living if it's neccessary.

From having a look at a few property rental sites it seems you can find what appear to be very reasonable prices for the longer duration lets.. I found countless ads for properties under 400 sterling a month, and these included apartments, townhouses, fincas and villas..

I don't need somewhere massive as for the moment the only person taking this trip is likely to be myself, but i would like somewhere with a small private garden or a private roof terrace etc.

After reading a few threads before registering here, the car situation seems complicated.. to rent a car for 6 months i would be looking at 2000 euro plus... my plan was to get a cheap flight..  and ship accross any items I needed with an international courier.

I don't have ridiculous amounts of things, but it would be a few car loads i imagine.

My spanish language skills are extremely basic to say the least, but i would try my best to learn the essentials for getting by before going out there.

Like 0      
22 Jan 2011 10:43 PM by ijha85 Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Part 2:

My main questions are as follows

What areas would people recommend, where there are fellow english people about?

Please don't read this as I'm an ignorant person, I'm not, but i'm thinking it might be nice to have an easy conversation once in awhile, especially if i'm living alone.

Should I try and find somewhere where the need for a car is not a daily essential?,

example,  i wouldn't be so isolated that i would have to drive everywhere and would need a car for the whole duration of my stay. I don't mind walking, especially when it's not in the cold and rain, but it might be nice to hire a car for a week here and there to do some exploring or if people were to come and visit.

Like 0      
22 Jan 2011 10:44 PM by ijha85 Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Part 3:

I read that obviously being from england I can stay for 90 days without a visa, but for 180 days plus what am I expected to get in order?

Would it be neccessary to get a spanish bank account for this period?

I have been recommended many places... from Valencia to Andalucia.. aswell as the canaries.. which i'm not sure this forum covers. Obviously spain is a big country.

Any advice,tips or help you can give me will be much appreciated, I'm fed up of england and i'd like to enjoy some fun and sunshine.

sorry if that turned into an essay

Like 0      
23 Jan 2011 12:01 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

if you are from england i suppose you have a british passport if you do then you are an eu citizin then you can stay as long as you like without doing anything at all

as for a car it so so difficult to find a parking space here use the buses good service and cheap about 1.25 euro most trips and always on time

trains good and cheap too

Like 0      
23 Jan 2011 12:03 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

dont need bank account use cash points to use your uk account

Like 0      
23 Jan 2011 1:18 PM by philevans Star rating in Axminster Devon & Sa.... 187 posts Send private message

philevans´s avatar

Hi ijha85

regards area, it depends what suits your life style. If you want clubbing etc, Head for Fuengirola marbella areas, loads going on there. If you want somthing more quiet, I would recommend Manilva or Sabinillas if you want to be by the sea. If you want a predominately english Community then maybe Duquesa. Sabinillas is ideal as it has a good friendly english community, but is predominately Spanish, so you can intergate at your own pace. It also has every type of shop/banks etc within walking distance and good bus connections to Malaga/ or Gibraltar

What you see is what you get 

Like 0      
23 Jan 2011 2:38 PM by ijha85 Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Hi,

Thanks for the replies guys...

I will look into those areas suggested.

I don't need or want to be in the centre of a clubbers hot spot, I've lived next to students for three years now and it wears abit thin sometimes...

I just want some privacy and not total isolation in an area I choose, but with most things in reach, so a nice medium.

Yes I hold a British passport, if i did want to work. would I need any permit?

Also, if i were to choose the canary islands.. would anything differ there? I know the islands belong to spain, but for example the allowances for what you can bring back are different.. when you travel there for a holiday?

thanks for baring with me everyone.

ian

Like 0      
23 Jan 2011 2:55 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Regarding not needing a bank account here, it depends on what  bank you use, as most UK banks will charge you for withdrawing money abroad.  From our experience, it is easy to open a bank account in Spain, though you do need to take bank charges into account.  Usually the savings banks (cajas) charge less.  If you transfer money using a currency exchange company, you won't pay charges when you do so, and you can shop around for the best rate.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
23 Jan 2011 3:05 PM by ijha85 Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Hi,

thanks for the info regarding banking..

I have UK current accounts with Barclays.. and Alliance and leicester (now santander)

and I have a business account with Natwest

It would be good to avoid charges where possible as I will have a budget I need to stick to.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2011 3:18 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

santander do a cedit zero card which makes no charge for currency transactions

Like 0      
23 Jan 2011 8:23 PM by mazlester Star rating in Currently Bedford bu.... 23 posts Send private message

mazlester´s avatar

Hi,

For easy money ideas try a pre paid debit card eg FairFX etc as you can load it up via internet and money is ready for you to withdraw in about an hour.  Rate is FAR better than the bank and you use it like a cashcard or you can use it in shops like a Mastercard.  The only cost is to withdraw is E1.50 for any amount you withdraw.

Hope this helps

Maria

Like 0      
23 Jan 2011 8:47 PM by ijha85 Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

thanks for the replies guys..

Lots of ideas of how to be smart with money, i like it and will definetly choose the best options before going.

Anymore feedback to my other questions?

Like 0      
23 Jan 2011 8:53 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

sabadel bank dont charge you for acccount

forget car you can never park here buses very cheap  and always on time

why bother bringing stuff from uk you can get everything here and rental flats normally fully furnished

somewhere lie fuengirola costa del sol should suit you loads shops restaurants weather best in europe people freindly and train to airpot 2.15 euro

you cant beat it!!!

Like 0      
23 Jan 2011 9:12 PM by ijha85 Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Hi amep75, thanks for your continued help :)

thats the second time i've been recommended Fuengirola, I have mailed a property agent there already so will hopefully here something back.

Yes there isn't much i need to bring with me.. when i think about it.. I could just use a courier company i think for what i do need.

I will do some more research into the area and what i can get there for my money..

but in the meantime anymore replies/suggestions are most welcome.

cheers, ian

Like 0      
24 Jan 2011 10:25 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I'm going to go with Fuengirola too.  It is a great town, plenty to do there, plenty of expats (not a bad thing) and it is still very Spanish.  We like Fuengirola a lot.  Benalmadena is similar if you want to check that out too.

In term of residency, you DO need to register here as resident it you stay more than 6 months, even if you are EU citizen.  Saying that, I know people that have been here for years and are still not officially "resident".  Becoming resident is actually very easy now anyway and it's really for tax purposes and healthcare.

Rememebr that your EHIC health card will only entitile you to free care for a limited time.  After that you need to be paying into the Spanish system to be allowed free healthcare.  Otherwise, if you are not working and paying social security here, you will need private healthcare.

As a final recommendation, if you are planning possible to return to the UK then why ship all your stuff over?  It seems an unnecessary cost.  Why not just put it all into storage and bring your car down with the stuff you NEED.  Most long term rentals here are fully furnished so you only need to bring with clothers and PC, etc. 

Anyway, best of luck with your move.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
24 Jan 2011 11:53 AM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

as eu resident you dont need any kind of permit to work here

however unless it is an english speaking jub you will need to speak spanish which nobody seems to do but it took me 6 months easy peasy after all it is in the air all around you

Like 0      
24 Jan 2011 12:43 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

oops forgot but you need nie card 15 euro from police station

Like 0      
24 Jan 2011 1:47 PM by ijha85 Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

thanks guys.

@ Justin, thanks for your info, it's good to just have some starting points for towns to research that have been recommended :)

I will check out Benalmadena too.

I don't have loads of possesions, I wasn't planning to have every item shipped to me, its just i know you get very little luggage allowance thesedays flying. I would love to drive down but my car is probably the least economical you could imagine for a drive that long.

Thanks for the tips re: healthcare and working.

Cheers amep75 too.

I will be sure to pop in here when i'm further along with my plans, aslong as no one minds :)

Ian

Like 0      
24 Jan 2011 2:23 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Glad to be of assistance

Best of luck.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
24 Jan 2011 2:57 PM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

I would second the Benalmadena area; plenty to do without a car. You have town (Arroyo), the Pueblo, and the costa. There are quiet areas for living within walking distance (e.g. Torrequebrada) or the town itself. Also have excellent Marina plus great walks along the promenade to Torremolinos and beyond. Also close to the airport. BTW, I have no vested interest, I just like the area.

Dave

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

It isn't letting me post my thread! :( - 8 posts
photos Casa Playa Balanegra - 0 posts
DJ - 0 posts
Thanks - 1 posts
Spanish Mortgages - 3 posts
Empty removal van space (North East to London) - 0 posts
Cleaning Key Holding - 3 posts
Purchase complete at long last - HELP ! - 7 posts
New S1 Form - 14 posts
HMRC form FD9 - 1 posts
Euroworld, Myramar Shaopping Centre, Fuengirola, CDS - 10 posts
finch - 1 posts
Does anyone know anything about the S1 ? - 9 posts
Paramount - 20 posts
Piranha pedicure - 1 posts
La Torre Golf Resort Term Rental - 0 posts
Situations vacant - 1 posts
Nerja or Copsta Brava - 7 posts
Wanted :- Inflatable dinghy with outboard - 2 posts
Sickness benefit - 3 posts
NIE no longer valid for work! You know need Residencia! - 15 posts
Ryanair has pulled out of their Newquay flights to Alicante - 2 posts
electrician la murda near orihuela - 2 posts
On a research mission. - 26 posts
Community charges - who pays the short fall - 97 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 30

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x