New S1 Form

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Jan 2011 12:00 AM by bbbreakfast Star rating in Bristol and Playa Fl.... 56 posts Send private message

bbbreakfast´s avatar

Hi fellow members,

Looking for clarification re above, what does it cover ??? and what are the cisrcumstances to be eligable ?.

I have a home in UK and Spain (Costa Blanca)

I work for UK company and pay UK taxes and N/I etc etc I travel and work away from home constantly, my wife is a young retiree and will spend most of the year in Spain whilst I will commute to and from Spain from wherever I happen to be working, with short spells in UK home.

My wife has full N/I contributions paid up in Uk (over 30years) but is too young to receive state or private pensions yet.

Can I get S1 cover as tax payer with wife as dependant to allow her to receive health cover in Spain.

We both have NIE numbers but as of yet have not applied for residencia or signed on padron

Obviously want best of both worlds at least cost, but have no problem paying taxes where appropriate in either Spain or UK, but want to avoid excessive costs for private health care in Spain.

Look forward to members experiences on this matter

This message was last edited by bbbreakfast on 22/01/2011.

Like 0      
22 Jan 2011 12:56 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi 2u2

Laury could possibly answer you, check out Does anyone know anything about the S1 ? a few threads under yours.

Like 0      
22 Jan 2011 1:10 PM by bbbreakfast Star rating in Bristol and Playa Fl.... 56 posts Send private message

bbbreakfast´s avatar

Hi Morerosado,

Thanks for link,  like Laury say's, looks like I may have to put my determined head on and contact Newcastle and The Consulate for clarification.

Hey Ho here we go bureaucracy don't you just love it.

Wish me luck

Like 0      
22 Jan 2011 3:20 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Yes it would cover her. She would have to take it plus padron, escritura or rental contract, etc. to the health centre where she will be signed on . Only drawback is that the S1 is renewable every year.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
22 Jan 2011 5:38 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

guslopez

Only drawback is that the S1 is renewable every year.

My E106 form is valid for 2 years.  Has this changed with the new S1 form?

Thanks

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
22 Jan 2011 7:26 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

You work for an English company, pay UK taxes and national insurance and have a home in the UK.  You are therefore entitled to UK NHS cover and should apply for the European Health Insurance Card to give you cover when on holiday in Spain.  I assume that your company provides healthcare for you on your business travels. The EHIC can include dependants and is valid for five years.  You presumably spend fewer than 183 days with your feet on Spanish soil in any calendar year and so are tax-resident in the UK and you would not want to change that otherwise you would be taxed in Spain on your worldwide income, with tax paid in the UK allowed as an offset.  Much too much hassle.   You presumably do not intend to spend three months in Spain at any one go and therefore could not correctly claim inclusion on the EU citizens register.  So you should both not register for the padron or the electoral roll.  To apply for the EHIC online, go to https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/startApplication.do

If you want to treat your wife independently and not as your dependant, you say that she has paid UK  tax and national insurance up to three years before departure from the UK and is pre-retirement age which means that she can apply for the S1 form which may entitle her in her own right to up to two-and-a-half years of state healthcare, paid for by the UK.  I don't understand the talk of renewing the S1 form.  In your wife's case the S1 is not renewable and at the end of the period allowed, she would not be covered for healthcare in Spain.

Like 0      
22 Jan 2011 10:05 PM by bbbreakfast Star rating in Bristol and Playa Fl.... 56 posts Send private message

bbbreakfast´s avatar

Jek,

Thanks for the input and clarification, in relation to S1, I am led to believe that it now needs renewing every tear as indicated in other posts but not sure if this only applies to pension age holders.

We are both in receipt of EHIC cards and I have private medical cover so only some sort of cover for my wife is required, it may be prudent to look at private cover for her.

Thanks to all for the replies

Like 0      
23 Jan 2011 10:03 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Yes the S1 is renewable every 12 months & in most cases replaces the old E106 & E 109.  The dependants of the UK commuting worker will be entitled to full medical cover in the country were they are residing whilst the taxpayer is entitled to it in the UK & uses their EHIC  ( old E111 ) card if in need of healthcare in the country where their family reside.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2011 11:32 AM by Kenny G Star rating in Calahonda. 41 posts Send private message

Sorry, is it just me, or is everyone else confused by all of these replies?

Some say that the S1 is renewable every year, and some say that it is not renewable........HELP!

We spend most of our time here in Spain, but have not registered on Padron or Residencia. We prefer to stay as registered UK residents.

We are fully paid up with our NI etc. over 40 years. My partner, she is 61 and in receipt of state pension. I am not 65 yet so I only have my small company pension.

Please confirm the procedure if possible:- We apply for an S1 form and then take it with escritura and padron to our local health centre. Will we have to do this every year?

If we do register on the padron and at the health centre, will this affect our health cover when returning to the UK?

Does being a pensioner make a difference to entitlement?

I did hear that once we are both pensioners, we are fully covered, but by registering, will it affect our rights back in the UK?

Thanks

Like 0      
23 Jan 2011 12:47 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

I am just going by the NHS and British Embassy websites.  From there it is clear beyond doubt that the original poster's wife cannot renew her S1 as she is pre-retirement age and the NHS site says 

"If you move to an EEA country to live but not work and don't receive a UK benefit, you may be eligible for up to two-and-a-half years of state healthcare, paid for by the UK. You will need to apply for form S1 ....... You also need to prove that you have worked in the UK and paid National Insurance contributions up to three years before your departure."   http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/movingabroad/Pages/Livingabroad.aspx

Those sites are silent on the question of renewal for pensioners.  But the Embassy site describes the procedure which involves taking the S1 form to INSS in Spain and eventually receiving a Spanish plastic health card.  The inference is that that is too complicated and time-consuming a process to go through every year.  http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/pensions-benefits/healthcare/e121/

Kenny,

If you spend more than three months continuously in Spain, you are required to register as resident in Spain; and if you are in Spain for more than 183 days in a calendar year you are tax-resident in Spain and should complete the annual Renta declaration on your world-wide income. 

If your wife is receiving a UK state pension, she is entitled to apply for the S1 and get free health cover in Spain.  As a non-pensioner, you are entitled to apply for up to 30 months cover using the S1 - that may well take you up to UK pension age. 

As registered Spanish residents you would need the EHIC in order to get cover when you return to the UK.  Since May 2010, the NHS is now responsible for issuing EHICs for UK residents in Spain.

This message was last edited by jek on 23/01/2011.

This message was last edited by jek on 23/01/2011.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2011 2:56 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

E -106     Is for people who retired early & have paid NI contributions therefore entitling them for up to 2 or 2,1/2 years reciprocal healthcare based on their cont. record.

E-109      Is for people who work & pay tax, NI in one country whilst there family are resident in another. Anybody who works & contributes is entitled to this but it's renewable yearly.

E-111    Now EHIC card. This is meant for reciprocal healthcare for holidays but also includes the E -109 taxpaying contributor who returns to his family who are resident in another EC country.

E-121   This is the form for people in receipt of a UK pension who wish to live abroad & register for a reciprocal health card in their new country of residence.

Please note ALL THE ABOVE FORMS  have now been replaced with one form , The S1 !!

bbbreakfast, your wife is fully entitled to a spanish health card  upon your application through S1 old E-109. I know loads of people on another forum where the husband works in the UK & the wife & children live here in Spain. All have health cards the only problem at present is the childrens renewals due to misinterpretation between the DSS & Spanish health system.

KennyG  As your partner is in receipt of a UK pension she is entitled to reciprocal healthcare & should  apply through the S1 , old E-121 . Once in possession she would need  to register on the padron & attend the health centre along with your escritura or rental contract. If you are not married to her then it's highly unlikely that you will be entitled to it. If you are married then her receipt of a UK pension would entitle you to it as well. It might be worth asking when she applies if you are long term partners .

You might also be entitled to healthcare under the old E-106 now S1 form , based on your contributions.

You actually have no choice in remaining uk resident if you spend more than 183 days in spain during 1 year. You are legally obliged to register on the padron & for residencía. Once your partner & possibly you are entitled to a Spanish health card then you will also be entitled to an EHIC for reciprocal healthcare when in the UK. Please note that since april 2010, these are now issued by the country that pays the pension.I.E. the UK.  

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2011 3:11 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

The important question is "when will your wife become a pensioner?"  If it is less than two and a half years, no problem!

When we moved here I was over 60 so in receipt of a UK state pension, which meant I was immediately eligible for healthcare in Spain.  John could also have registered as my dependent, but he was almost 65 so he just waited until his birthday.  The S1 form is also applicable to pensioners, but it doesn't need to be renewed as all you do is take it to the INSS to get your health card.  My card has an expiry date of 05/13.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
23 Jan 2011 4:14 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Can I add my two pennorth?

My husband commutes every week to the UK and we live in Spain.

He pays all the taxes and Nat Ins in the UK and I am his dependent in Spain.

Both of us are below retirement age. I have 5 years to wait and he has 3.

We spent 18 months trying to get the E106 and E109 for reciprocal health care and by the time something finally arrived, it had changed to the S1.

The date on the S1 only allows for one year at a time and we have to reapply next year if we are still eligible. Which we should be. We are not pensioners.

I went to the INSS in Orihuela and they said they can't register me for healthcare because  the S1 is only in my husband's name.

Newcastle insist that I don't need a separate S1 so I still have no health care.

I don't know why the EHIC is deemed as an acceptable alternative by whoever mentioned it. That is absolutely useless to me. It's emergency cover only!

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
23 Jan 2011 5:15 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

& this is the other thread that Lauryc posted .

http://www.eyeonspain.com/forums/posts-long-12398.aspx

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
27 Jan 2011 6:49 PM by Kenny G Star rating in Calahonda. 41 posts Send private message

Further to the debate on health cover. Can anyone revommend a good private health scheme with estimated costs?

Also, has anyone used  the Helicopter Doctor? Is it worthwhile signing up with them?

Ta

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

HMRC form FD9 - 1 posts
Euroworld, Myramar Shaopping Centre, Fuengirola, CDS - 10 posts
finch - 1 posts
Does anyone know anything about the S1 ? - 9 posts
Paramount - 20 posts
Piranha pedicure - 1 posts
La Torre Golf Resort Term Rental - 0 posts
Situations vacant - 1 posts
Nerja or Copsta Brava - 7 posts
Wanted :- Inflatable dinghy with outboard - 2 posts
Sickness benefit - 3 posts
NIE no longer valid for work! You know need Residencia! - 15 posts
Ryanair has pulled out of their Newquay flights to Alicante - 2 posts
electrician la murda near orihuela - 2 posts
On a research mission. - 26 posts
Community charges - who pays the short fall - 97 posts
Packing boxes - 5 posts
Entre Naranjos - 3 posts
AWFUL - cocoon telecom - 4 posts
using a mobile in spain - 2 posts
Non resident tax form changes - 46 posts
reputable "property management" operating in the Granada area - 0 posts
Urgently required, a good Spanish Lawyer - 1 posts
Toyota Landcruiser TD FOR SALE. UK REGISTERED - 9 posts
Still easy to get bar/restaurant work in Gibraltar? - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x