Community responsibilities & constitution

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Nov 2010 12:00 AM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Hi

Some Questions.

1. Does a community have to have a constitution?

2. In the case of flats is the community responsible for structual problems?

3. In the case of a community that used to do all the outside repairs and decoration but now does not, where, in the case of flats, does the line between community responsibility and individual responsibility for the structure and outside decoration lie?

4. If a community has several debtors thus raising the amount needed to be collected from those paying, the community is taking action to recover the money, but one individual does a calculation as to what he would pay should all be paying and pays only that amount, can he loose his vote for non payment?

I may have more questions depending on the answers if anyone can help.

Thanks

Tteedd

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 1:53 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Most of the answers you will find in the Horizontal Law, an English translation can be found here: http://www.eyeonspain.com/spain-magazine/horizontal-laws.pdf

1. It's the master deed, or estatutos;  have a look at Sections 5 & 6

2. Section 10; the community should have building insurance of course, and depending on how old the property is, the builder may be responsible (and should be covered by insurance)

3. Again, section 10 and the definition of each property as described in the deeds

4. If a majority vote has been taken and recorded according to the rules set out in the HL, to increase the budget, meaning each individual owner must pay more, then any owner refusing to pay the new amounts would become themselves a debtor, and lose their right to vote. Of course, the quotas for the original non-payers would have to be increased accordingly too, so when the money is finally recovered, the imbalance should be corrected. Does that make sense? (It's late!)

Hope this helps a bit.

P.S. I'm no expert on these matters - watch & hope for a reply from Maria, her opinions / advice are more reliable.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 3:03 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Thanks for that.

We had a property in Spain before and there we did have a constitution. It amplified the way meetings and appointments were made and the way the community operated. But also I think had the info required in sect 5 and 6. Perhaps I should have asked here for the Master deed/Estatutos.

2/3. I read sect 10 as saying that the community was responsible. I doubt that insurance would cover defects that could be put down to aging or poor maintenance but I do wish to establish that the community is responsible.

4. Yes I read it that way as well.

I am hoping for some answer from a person with expertise. Perhaps this Maria you mention will reply. In our community (4 blocks of 8 flats) there are several minor problems with the staircases (which I am sure are the community responsibility) and cracks in the outer walls (which I also think are community problems but I suspect the president would wish to make the nearest owners responsibility),

I would also wish that the community continued with the outer decoration as it did in the past but the president and others have done thier own and will be resistant to the expenditure.

If we genuinely have lost our constitution/master deed/Estatutos I would be interested in knowing how it could be regenerated in the light of the fact that if it existed it would need 100% agreement to ammend it.

Tteedd

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 4:47 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The estatutos should be registered with the Land Registry, just the same as individual property deeds. I'm not sure, but I imagine the "finca" number of your block should be mentioned on your individual deed somewhere, and presumably will be registered at the same registry as your own deed too. It may be worth enquiring if the administrator has a copy - although I appreciate they may be less than willing to co-operate. Best of luck......

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

New Gym at Casares Golf - 1 posts
Electric Cooker & Cooking - 9 posts
SONY BRAVIA 32INCH LCD TV - 1 posts
CITREON C3 FOR SALE - 1 posts
Vistas del Guardiana, Costa Esuri - 0 posts
TRAVELLING BY CAR AND MOTORBIKE FROM SANTANDER TO VERA - 2 posts
And Grandad Makes Eleven - 1 posts
Sales January Sales ??? - 2 posts
FOR SALE CAN AM SPYDER MOTOBIKE......Must See - 5 posts
Can They Do This? - 7 posts
Moving from Ireland(transport) - 6 posts
uk family with 1 horse 1 pony seeking long term accommodation in spain - 4 posts
paying non resident tax - 234 posts
anabel4you - 2 posts
roof tiles wind damage - 1 posts
sky remote - 2 posts
Reporting of Vat on UK purchases - 5 posts
Granada, Malaga, Antequera Triangle; link wanted for good animal rescue centre. - 7 posts
English speaking gestoria in Antequera area - 0 posts
Visit to Granada - 4 posts
Burning your rubbish in the countryside ! - 3 posts
Window Cleaners Mijas Golf - 3 posts
balcony infill - 9 posts
Costa del Sol Tourist Board welcomes fall in British tourist numbers - Does it mean Brits are no longer welcome in Spain? - 1 posts
Boring !!!! - 17 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x