Electric Cooker & Cooking

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Nov 2010 12:00 AM by deegeew Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Is any body else having this same problem.

If the oven is on we can only use one hob on top, neither of them at full power, or the trip switch goes, cannot use electric kettle when oven, microwave or washing machine is on. 

We pay Endesa for the highest input to the apartment, which is 9.2 kw but there does not seem to be any difference.

Anybody else have this problem, or any advice on solutions.

Its a challenge trying to get a Sunday dinner cooked, could be Turkey sandwiches for Christmas

Graham

Like 0      
11 Nov 2010 9:00 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Graham hi,

This certainly should not be happening!

When you refer to the trip switch are referring to the main circuit breaker?

For a 9.2KW supply this C/Bkr should be rated at 40 Amps. It may well be that you have a lower rated C/Bkr maybe 25A , 20A or 16A?

Typical Consumption Values:

Oven typically 2KW (no Hob we have a gas hob so can't quote) = 8A

Washing Machine (Cold Fill) up to 3KW  =  13A

Immersion Heater 1.8KW  =  7.8A

Electric Heaters (on 1.3 KW setting) = 6A each; (on 2KW setting = 8A each); (on max 3kW setting = 13A each)

Electric Kettle 2KW = 8A

Microwave 800W = 3.5A

Single Aircon Unit up to 2.5KW  = 10A

Beware also of the fashionable ceiling mounted halogen downlighters, these are terribly inefficient for the amount of light they actually supply. In our kitchen we have just 6 of these (it's a small kitchen) but each is rated at 50W so just lighting the kitchen uses 300W...a single 80W striplight would provide more than the same amount of light for less than one third of the consumption.

It doesn't take long to rack up quite high consumption values especially during the Winter and as we all know electricity out here isn't cheap..

We used to be on a 4.3KW supply and frequently ran into the same problem you have; power management becomes very diificult.  We upgraded to the 9.2KW tarriff and the Main Circuit Breaker was replaced  as a part of the upgrade.

Finally, if you are in the Granada area or say 50kms around I can recommend a good leccy if you need one; he's the guy that attended to the upgrade of our system and he did all the new contract negotiating with Endesa on our behalf.

Hope this helps...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 9:36 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Definitely something odd there.  We had our rating changed by Endesa because of a similar issue and it was ok after that.

I would call them back and ask them to check the installation.  Maybe they simply haven't done the job properly.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 12:37 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I'm not an electrician but know a little bit.

The problem is not with your overall supply - 9.02kw is fine.

It's more likely to do with an inadequte consumer unit or fuse box.

The problem is up until recently wiring in Spanish houses was 3rd world standard - not so now.

In UK we would use double ovens + hobs but we would run dedicated 10mm wiring on a 40 or 45amp fuse/breaker and at the same time a ring circuit for kitchen only for all other plugs/applianes probably on 35amp - so no tripping out!

Problem in Spain is many kitchens do not have dedicated wiring for powerful appliances or what you might find the electrician put a more powerful plug on the other wall and your oven/hob is not where it was intended to be etc

All you need to do is get in an electrician and look at your consumer unit and what fuse/breaker your oven/hob is wired into - he might separate it out.

I had the same problem and now mine rarely trips due to overload etc

If you do get an electrician in get him to install a surge protector if you do not already have one. I think on new installations it's now compulsory but not old etc.

If in/round Fuengirola I can recommend 2 electrians who will sort you out.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 1:40 PM by bbbreakfast Star rating in Bristol and Playa Fl.... 56 posts Send private message

bbbreakfast´s avatar

Faro is spot on

Check the following;

1. size of incoming MCB/RCD

2. size of MCB controlling cooker (switch on cooker/oven and switch off MCB in fuse box to identify MCB check rating)

3. Have an electrician check out supply loading on each MCB in Fuse box.

He will be able to load shed to allow several kitchen appliances to be used at once.

9Kw should be more than adequate for small apartment/house.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 1:55 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

In Spain you have to be jack of all trades and master of non!

bbbreakfast you have used better or more modern terminology!

deegeew - this should not cost much to put right - so watch for the ex-pat cowbow telling you there's a lot of wiring there - whilst he trying to guess how much he can rip you off!!

I spoke to someone last week who got in an "highly experienced" ex-pat cowbow who knew nothing of three phase installations and practically blew the place up - after that he called in a Spanish electrician to fix what English guys mess!!

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 2:09 PM by bbbreakfast Star rating in Bristol and Playa Fl.... 56 posts Send private message

bbbreakfast´s avatar

Again Faro is spot on.

I am a qualified Electrical Engineer so sorry if terminology is confusing.

However it is not costly to remedy and no serious rewire should be required unless existing installation is very old and showing signs of overheating.

Deegeew I have a Spanish Tradesman who looks after my property (Me too old and lazy) dependant where you are I could give you his details. No pressure or self profit involved.

Do stay away from expat cowboys please Electricity should not be messed with.

Good Luck.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 6:52 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

I find quite a lot to disagree with here, as well as acknowledging that much that has been said is correct.  We have had our apartment in Spain for about 3 years and were horrified to find that the main breaker was 25 amps (at 230 volts that gives you about 5.75Kw).  We could not possibly exist on this at home in the UK despite the fact that our heating is gas!  Because at first we used a number of electric heaters, we were always tripping the main breaker.  Now we have heat pumps, this never occurs.  We can have lights, cooking, TV and heating all on without tripping out and everything is electric.

Our consumer unit breakers are divided into 3 circuits; power 25a, Kitchen power 40a and lighting 16a.  Therefore the kitchen breaker will never trip before the main breaker and it's likely the power wouldn't either.  Therefore at night, use a bit too much power and the lights go out as well.  In the UK this is not allowed, no downstream breaker should have a rating greater than the main breaker for obvious reasons.  This is easier when you have a 60a supply though.

Although, I love the dinky continental switches, plugs etc, they provide an inefficient earth, also frowned upon in the UK and those unshielded connector strips used everywhere are accidents waiting to happen.  Although standards may have improved in Spain over the years (as in the UK), I can wire better than the installation in our apartment and I am not an electrician.  Unfortunately by European diktat, I am not allowed to modify my wiring, so have to rely on substandard work and then go around afterwards to ensure that the work has been done safely.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 7:31 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

I have the power of 13 kw.because my house is totally electric. Although our electrician installed the appropriate 40amp fuses everyone conveniently forgot to tell us that the electricity company in this area will NEVER put more than a 20amp fuse in the main box !!!!!  Result being we were constantly plunged into darkness. Fortunately a local Spanish company sorted it.

Suggest Graham you only use a registered Spanish electrician to correct your common problem.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2010 7:35 PM by bbbreakfast Star rating in Bristol and Playa Fl.... 56 posts Send private message

bbbreakfast´s avatar

Xetog;

i agree standard of installation is no where near quality of most UK systems.

However I have found from experience (40 Years +) that most problems with tripping is due in the main (No pun intended) to be down to load sharing.

It is a simple and inexpensive route to take as a first attempt to solve the tripping problem

Have a nice day

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

SONY BRAVIA 32INCH LCD TV - 1 posts
CITREON C3 FOR SALE - 1 posts
Vistas del Guardiana, Costa Esuri - 0 posts
TRAVELLING BY CAR AND MOTORBIKE FROM SANTANDER TO VERA - 2 posts
And Grandad Makes Eleven - 1 posts
Sales January Sales ??? - 2 posts
FOR SALE CAN AM SPYDER MOTOBIKE......Must See - 5 posts
Can They Do This? - 7 posts
Moving from Ireland(transport) - 6 posts
uk family with 1 horse 1 pony seeking long term accommodation in spain - 4 posts
paying non resident tax - 234 posts
anabel4you - 2 posts
roof tiles wind damage - 1 posts
sky remote - 2 posts
Reporting of Vat on UK purchases - 5 posts
Granada, Malaga, Antequera Triangle; link wanted for good animal rescue centre. - 7 posts
English speaking gestoria in Antequera area - 0 posts
Visit to Granada - 4 posts
Burning your rubbish in the countryside ! - 3 posts
Window Cleaners Mijas Golf - 3 posts
balcony infill - 9 posts
Costa del Sol Tourist Board welcomes fall in British tourist numbers - Does it mean Brits are no longer welcome in Spain? - 1 posts
Boring !!!! - 17 posts
anyone have ground floor apartment in Garden 5 iavailable to rent for a week in August 2011 - 1 posts
Suzuki Liana 1.6GL English Plate 55Reg - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x