spanish bank accounts

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Oct 2007 2:38 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Hmmm. My Wife and I have just been charged  15,03 ea by Barclays for the  NON RESIDENT CERTIFICATE. What a scandal the system is. It seems everywhere you look, you get hammered with a charge for being a non resident. I wonder how many non resident charges are levied by the UK authorities to EU member citizens with financial interests in our country?

Mark

Like 0      
16 Oct 2007 1:31 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I've just closed my account with Solbank as the fees had doubled, apparently they had changed my account to an all singing and dancing one when as a non-resident all I wanted was an account to pay my household bills.  They offered to change it back but it was too late. 

I've now joined the majority and have an account with Halifax.  No fees as long as an average balance of 600euros is kept in account over 6 months, as I normally operate my account this way this shouldn't be a problem.

Logged on today and registered for internet access so now all up and running.

Like 0      
16 Oct 2007 8:32 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

This message was last edited by san miguel on 2/4/2008.

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

AND PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH

Like 0      
16 Oct 2007 10:20 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Thanks for the advice, I suppose really it all depends on what your personal circumstances are and how you intend to use your account.

It will be interesting to see how the two banks compare after 6 months of use.

Like 0      
17 Oct 2007 10:31 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Bnacaja had staff on the streets in San Pedro this morning handing out leaflets in english to people - saying no bank charges euro transfers fre and in the eu up to 50k€ free of charge to other banks as well.

Also no charges for standing orders and direct debits and the best bit - up to a 500 euro free overdraft facility to pay bills - this is a great idea as usually in SPain one receives the paper bill a week after they try to deduct it form the bank. No problem for people with money in accounts, but if you have to closely moniter your money (being in sales and self employed I do) then suddenly dds get refused as you have no idea when they come and for how much!

I may well open with them! Especially as you get a free t-shirt!!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
17 Oct 2007 3:02 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar
Rixxy do I presume this is for residents only as I already have an account with them but am non resident

Like 0      
17 Oct 2007 4:32 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Im pretty sure they are aoiming at english speaking residents as it says

" We are a Spanish savings bank that offers its private individuals residing on the coast a 100% cost-free current account.

No hidden charges   no small print, no asterisks...we beleive that service doesnt have to cost

We are a savings bank that really listens  to what our clients need and really take on board what poeple like you have been insisting on for years on the coast FREE BANKING

1) Free account maintenance - NO CHARGE

2) Transfers in euros free in Spain and the EU up to 50,000 euros. EU directive number 2 560/2001 - NO CHARGE

3) Free Visa credit card to use 12 times a year for your purchases - NO CHARGE (might mean 12 months a year perhaps??)

4) Free change of all standing orders and direct debits - NO CHARGE

So say goodbye to traditional banking, come in and open an account at Bancaja! Well change all your standign orders and direct dbits for you, and youll enjoy the best service at NO EXTRA COST

On the flip side (also all in english) it asks if your bank provides a free of charge overdraft facility of up to 500 euros to pay for utility bills.

There were 8 staff trundling over the street this morning obviously to take advantage of peeps at the Feria!

They have a website you can check www.banjaca.es it has an english page

Oh and another bit I liked was if their cash machine isnt working, they allow you to take out money elsewhere and cresdit your account with double the commission you get charged - now THAT will incite me to bash thei machines and claim the commission!!!!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
18 Oct 2007 4:39 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I queried the non resident fee with my bank before I saw this thread. I received the response today:

We would like to inform you that these charges correspond to the Non Residents Certificate in order to confirm that your fiscal residence is not in Spain. This certificate is compulsory issued every six months by the Bank of Spain for every account holder to check that situation.

It seems Barclays want to make us pay 15€ each (hooray, i just found the Euro button on my keyboard!!!) every 6 months. I think we may be moving banks too!!

Mark

Like 0      
18 Oct 2007 7:43 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Strange I thought it was every two years, I was with Solbank for 4 years and I only dealt with this once.  It was due to be renewed after 15th October, another reason why I changed Banks as they sent me a form earlier this year and the charge for doing this was really high.

I know my memory isn't what it once was but even I would remember if this was being renewed every six months.

Like 0      
19 Oct 2007 7:37 AM by nuflow7 Star rating in Solihull/Vera Playa. 139 posts Send private message

Hi Rixxy

Am a bit confused as I went to the link bancaja.es as you suggested and it was basically a holidng page for a number of financial institutes - including Santander, Banco Credito etc.  Which is the one that was handing out the leaflets as I couldn't find a link specifically to a Bancaja.

muchas gracias

Like 0      
19 Oct 2007 9:39 AM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar
nuflow rixxy got the j and the c wrong way round it should have been www.bancaja.es

Like 0      
19 Oct 2007 3:59 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

EEEEK - My keyboard has dyslexia!

Sorry guys it is www.bancaja.es (I must admit when I forst wrte it, it dodnt look quite right!)

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
23 Oct 2007 9:48 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I spoke to the Halifax today about transferring our current account. They have confirmed that if we take the Xtra account, the charge wil be 25€ pa per account. With this account, there is no need to keep an average 600€ to avoid charges and there is a 3€ pa charge for a debit card. Just what we need for day to day use.

Mark

Like 0      
24 Oct 2007 7:30 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

This message was last edited by san miguel on 2/4/2008.

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

AND PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH

Like 0      
24 Oct 2007 7:35 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Hi

I realise there are some fees to pay, but not the general dy to day ones. We would rather take the risk of the 25€, especially in the first year as we may not be able to keep the 600€ average in for the opening months. and whatever they are, they are cheaper than the many that Barclays want us to pay, as well as the 10€ quarterly charge (reduced as my wife is staff).

Mark

Like 0      
24 Oct 2007 7:56 PM by Rusty2712 Star rating in Benalmadena Costa. 71 posts Send private message

Everyone, just be careful with HX

Like 0      
05 Nov 2007 12:04 PM by rapp Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

How safe is money deposited with Bancaja Es ?

Are there any Goverment backed  ban insurance schemes as in the UK?

Regards,

Rapp

Like 0      
05 Nov 2007 12:07 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
I believe all banks in Spain are underwritten by the bank of spain itself

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
09 Nov 2007 5:55 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

When I changed over from Solbank to Halifax I gave them the details of everything I paid by direct debit including the original agreement I signed for the tv.  This was the only thing I was concerned about but as normal I was told "no problem". 

I have been checking the account daily and have found it's been taken out, phew!  

Well done Halifax

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Radio Phones - 8 posts
URBANIZATION COMMITTEE - SNAGGING BEFORE HANDOVER OF ALL AREAS TO COMMUNITY COMMITTEE - 10 posts
Buyer wants your thoughts - 4 posts
house swap - 0 posts
Bank Accounts - 22 posts
Done the deed!!!! - 7 posts
HABITATION LICENCE - 3 posts
EXCITING NEWS FOR THE REMORTGAGE/EQUITY RELEASE MARKET - 4 posts
Hope The Thieves in Spain don't hear about THIS gem - 0 posts
MAY 4TH BE WITH YOU! - 0 posts
Envious future owners at torre alcantara vincent & brona - 37 posts
General poll on buying Property - 9 posts
EVERYONE - Please read this, very important - 7 posts
Man and Van Wanted UK - Murcia - 7 posts
Spanish Law On Disabled Access To Communal Swimming Pools - 17 posts
E-learning Spanish - 0 posts
Senior Account Manager - Madrid - 3 posts
How to get to NAPLES? - 17 posts
have the agents been wiped out in the property war - 162 posts
Crash in Spanish Property Market - 25 posts
The Real Criminals - 0 posts
Spa Valley, I need some info. - 2 posts
Angel de Miraflores - 2 posts
playa flamenca - 1 posts
Radiation in the area - 38 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 39

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x