Radio Phones

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 May 2007 12:00 AM by Fruit Star rating in Costa Calidia - Murc.... 74 posts Send private message

Fruit´s avatar

Hi everyone, I'm looking for information on the Telefonica radio phone. We live in a rural area and have been offered this as an alternative to the landline system. Does anyone out there have this system, and is it any good. Many thanks....

Like 0      
05 May 2007 10:11 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Hi Fruit

Yes, some friends of our had these.

To be honest, some people have had problems with the systems not always hooking up properly enabling them to make a call.  Also, for accessing the internet it is like a dial up but you can only use it with a V90 modem, which are hard to come by here in Spain.

If there's no other option then I suppose you'll have to go for it.

It basically works off of the mobile movistar network but the call charges are like those for a normal landline.

Hope that helps.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
06 May 2007 12:36 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Hola Fruit      We know on the cds in many inland areas or resent builds, land lines are hard to come by ,possible wait is years to get connected I expect its the same in your area,  many of the people we know that had the telefonica radio phone had  problems,  there are new companys starting up all the time with a better system so check out the local papers we are sure you will find the anwser, sorry we cannot be of more help as its not our area ,   I expect somebody from your area will give you a contact. Rosi n

Like 0      
06 May 2007 6:49 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Actually, check out companies such as Iberbanda which use a wireless system (we used to use them).

But that depends if you can actually see their transmitters.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
06 May 2007 7:36 PM by Fruit Star rating in Costa Calidia - Murc.... 74 posts Send private message

Fruit´s avatar

Hi Justin..we use them already, the enquiery was on behalf of my friend who never went for this system. They have just been offered the telefonica radio phone and was wondering what it was like.

Thanks anyway..will keep my eyes open cheers !!!

Like 0      
06 May 2007 9:10 PM by nesbeth Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

While I was in London Telefonica installed a box with an antena on it in our apartment. They also left a disk & on it reads " Telefonica NET TRAC, Terminal ARCE Erricson F251 m, Internet Intelegente, Acceso Gratuito a Internet"  I have no idea what all this means.

The phone works but the quality is very bad.

I have tried an computer expert to get me connected to the internet,  he has had no luck at all.

Telefonica say my laptop is old, it is a year old. What a lot of rubbish they talk.

I cant understand Telefonica as all I wanted was my phone to be reconnected, not one of these boxes. We had the phone line installed over 3 years ago.

I don't live in a rural area, it is in Los Altos, Orihuela Costa & well built up.

Any answers as what to do?

Wendy x

Like 0      
07 May 2007 8:15 AM by jfj Star rating in Vera, Almería. 142 posts Send private message

jfj´s avatar
I have had a few customers who are having problems with this system. The phoneline itself is ok for the most part, but sometimes the quality of the line is really, really bad. As for connecting to the internet - it is a disaster. It seems to be pot luck as to whether or not you can connect to it. You need to have a V90 modem, which as Justin said can be hard to come by here (I have found ordered them from various websites for customers) - in saying that though we have found that some V92 modems seem to work ok, but if there are any issues with it, Telefonica will be unabale to help you as you need to have a V90 modem.

If you just want a phoneline, the TRAC system is ok but if you want internet access as well I would recommend the Iberbanda system or something similiar (but do be aware that this system can be affected by the weather).

Like 0      
07 May 2007 11:06 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
nesbeth, yes, you have the system that is being discussed here.

If I were you I would ring up Telefonica and ask them to change it over.  Saying that, they normally only install them in areas where they can't connect a normal phone line.  In your area perhaps they don't have any more capacity.

jfj, I tried a V92 modem on the TRAC system but it was really bad and like you said, Telefonica won't help if you use it.

Like 0      
07 May 2007 12:35 PM by jfj Star rating in Vera, Almería. 142 posts Send private message

jfj´s avatar
Justin - I haven't yet found the reason why some v92 modems work and why some don't. We have found that they will either connect and work straight off, or they don't and never will.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

URBANIZATION COMMITTEE - SNAGGING BEFORE HANDOVER OF ALL AREAS TO COMMUNITY COMMITTEE - 10 posts
Buyer wants your thoughts - 4 posts
house swap - 0 posts
Bank Accounts - 22 posts
Done the deed!!!! - 7 posts
HABITATION LICENCE - 3 posts
EXCITING NEWS FOR THE REMORTGAGE/EQUITY RELEASE MARKET - 4 posts
Hope The Thieves in Spain don't hear about THIS gem - 0 posts
MAY 4TH BE WITH YOU! - 0 posts
Envious future owners at torre alcantara vincent & brona - 37 posts
General poll on buying Property - 9 posts
EVERYONE - Please read this, very important - 7 posts
Man and Van Wanted UK - Murcia - 7 posts
Spanish Law On Disabled Access To Communal Swimming Pools - 17 posts
E-learning Spanish - 0 posts
Senior Account Manager - Madrid - 3 posts
How to get to NAPLES? - 17 posts
have the agents been wiped out in the property war - 162 posts
Crash in Spanish Property Market - 25 posts
The Real Criminals - 0 posts
Spa Valley, I need some info. - 2 posts
Angel de Miraflores - 2 posts
playa flamenca - 1 posts
Radiation in the area - 38 posts
Mobile phones - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x