Spanish Law On Disabled Access To Communal Swimming Pools

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 May 2007 12:00 AM by davey2187 Star rating in Pontefract, La Torre.... 136 posts Send private message

Hi all, can anybody please give me any advice on what Spanish law says about their being access to swimming pools for the disabled

Like 0      
04 May 2007 10:18 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi DAVEY,

Not really sure about that one,good question though.

I have noticed a lot of the newer apartment complexes around Guardamar have started to cater for the disabled some have even installed lifts down into the pool although i am not sure whether this is regulation or just consideration on the part of the builder.

If it is regulation it will be very new.

Regards

Georgia

Like 0      
04 May 2007 1:07 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Davey,

I think this is a community issue.

When our building was built, the builder made access ramps for wheelchairs and lifts to all floors.

The communial swimming pool DID NOT have access for the disabled, in fact there were 3 large steps to get into the pool area.

However, our Presidente along with the committee, have just installed low steps into the pool and are having a wheelchair ramp made into the pool area.

So I think you should check with your Prsidente.

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
04 May 2007 7:05 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I believe the law states that any NEW construction must take into consideration access to all facilities for disabled persons, hence all new builds seem to have ramps etc. I did a quick search (in Spanish) to see if I could find out what it says about older property, or specifically relating to pools, to no avail. I suspect that older properties should be adapted to conform, but that "access" to pools probably means wheelchair to poolside only i.e. no special facilities for entering the water.

If you are enquiring about a community pool, I suggest you speak to the administrator (or ask your president to do so) to find out more. Let us know if you get any info.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 May 2007 7:12 PM by davey2187 Star rating in Pontefract, La Torre.... 136 posts Send private message

Thanks guys, I am having an argument with PW at present regarding access, they have a fantastic senior programme throughout their resorts which stop at the pool.  If anybody could look into this I will be forever in your debt

Like 0      
05 May 2007 2:15 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Davey,

I did post earlier, but thought I would add to that.

I too am disabled, arthritis just about everywhere and just had a hip replacement.

Our Presidente, took it upon himself to make sure that disabled were catered for.

He has no need of it for himself or his family, just wanted to make our community friendly for all.

If you have an issue, take it up in writing with your Presidente.

Ask for the facilities to be installed, stop worrying about what the Spanish law says, just ask for it to be done!

At the end of the day, your community is there to work for all members, able bodied or not.

You all pay your community fees and even people that are able bodied would be more than happy to rent their properties out as disabled friendly. (More rental scope for them)

Go for it, laws or not, just ask!

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
05 May 2007 6:07 AM by davey2187 Star rating in Pontefract, La Torre.... 136 posts Send private message

Hi thanks for the replies, our problem is that the community has not been formed yet and PW have washed their hands of it and said its a community issue, even at Terrazas which they havent laid a brick on yet where we have also bought they have refused to do anything, we have bought a senior apartment there and have found that there will be a high threshold on the terrace door so if there is a fire near the entrance a wheelchair user would not be able to evacuate, PW have said they wont change this even though they are making the rest of the place accessible

Like 0      
05 May 2007 10:02 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Davey,

I watched your video, the apartment looks wonderful.

Can you update your profile so we can all see where in Spain you have bought please?

By the way, your kitchen looks huge!

Bet it costs a fortune emplying the chef and feeding all your guests...........!!!!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
06 May 2007 1:32 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Hi Davey      This might be interesting for you , in our last  community  that we lived  the swimming pool needed upgrading to meet new council reg. this was in  2004 the upgrade cost was about 25,000 eur. ( lots of work )   They took out the ramp for wheelchair access that made no sense to us  it was only 4 years before we had spent a lot of funds putting it in , the administrators told us it was new reg.    (they put a ladder in) .  So it could be one of those grey areas that you might not find the anwser to.   best of luck with this problem. we are talking cds so it could be different in other areas . Rosi n

Like 0      
06 May 2007 1:50 PM by davey2187 Star rating in Pontefract, La Torre.... 136 posts Send private message

Thanks, strange that they would take out a ramp and put in a ladder though

Like 0      
06 May 2007 11:55 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Davey2187

This is not the place to advertise the renting of your apartment/villa or whatever.

I know I responded after wathing your video, but you are taking it too far now highlighting your "advert" in yellow.

Justin will not be amused, i will bring his attention to this post and i am sure it will be removed.

If you want to advertise, pay Justin to do it properly, don't expect it for free.

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
07 May 2007 7:44 AM by davey2187 Star rating in Pontefract, La Torre.... 136 posts Send private message

Sorry old chap

Like 0      
07 May 2007 7:52 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Actually, I am always happy for people to put a link to their business or property for rent in their signature.  That's ok.  It's spamming the actual posts which is a problem.

davey2187, it is ok for you to put the link back into your signature, no problem.

Fibby, thanks for keeping members in check!

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
07 May 2007 8:02 AM by davey2187 Star rating in Pontefract, La Torre.... 136 posts Send private message

Thanks, I dont want to offend anybody

Like 0      
07 May 2007 8:27 AM by davey2187 Star rating in Pontefract, La Torre.... 136 posts Send private message

Hi all, I have been informed by Polaris World HQ Customer Services that although not a brick has been laid they will not put a low threshold patio door in my senior apartment which they are adapting specifically for disabled people, this obviously has serious health and safety implications as if there was a fire near the entrance, a wheelchair user would not be able to evacuate. I have been told I will have to change this after the property is built!!  How crazy is that

I just found this video and my e mail to PW is below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHoIoSRrN0w

Please look at this video and note it states the senior programme creates "safe and barrier free" environments, clearly this is false as the threshold is a barrier and creates an unsafe environment

What do you think

This message was last edited by davey2187 on 5/7/2007.

Like 0      
09 May 2007 11:14 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Apologies davey2187

Justin has ok'd this now, so I apologise for bringing this to his attention!

Just thought it was a bit "in your face", or maybe my eyes are a bit sensitive!

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
09 May 2007 4:43 PM by davey2187 Star rating in Pontefract, La Torre.... 136 posts Send private message

No probs

Like 0      
09 May 2007 4:55 PM by davey2187 Star rating in Pontefract, La Torre.... 136 posts Send private message

I have spoken to parador my agent and asked them about it, they said it is a senior apartment - they meant old - I said so they are widening the doors for fat old people then, I dont think so!!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

E-learning Spanish - 0 posts
Senior Account Manager - Madrid - 3 posts
How to get to NAPLES? - 17 posts
have the agents been wiped out in the property war - 162 posts
Crash in Spanish Property Market - 25 posts
The Real Criminals - 0 posts
Spa Valley, I need some info. - 2 posts
Angel de Miraflores - 2 posts
playa flamenca - 1 posts
Radiation in the area - 38 posts
Mobile phones - 3 posts
IVA? When and how often is it payable? - 8 posts
THE GAS MAN CON - 4 posts
Completed - 3 posts
Duquesa Golf Course - 4 posts
La Marina - 2 posts
Legal Status Of Property. - 5 posts
CORDOBA VALLEY - 7 posts
Spanish health care system: Could someone sit down and spell it out clearly for me please? - 6 posts
NIE in Guadamar - 8 posts
Holiday today - 10 posts
Waving from Lanzarote - 32 posts
Spanish Lottery - 8 posts
MUZZY LEVEL 1 - 1 posts
Delay in releasing Block 9 - Plus New Build Opposite Block 9! - 13 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x