General Strike

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Sep 2010 12:00 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Hi,

Who will actually be on strike on Thursday? I understand it will be mainly the government and public offices who will be out (will anyone notice I ask myself?), but will most of the supermarkets also be closed, restaurants, bars etc.,? I have heard differing reports of who will and who won´t be on strike. Will the bank staff be coming out in sympathy too?

Gracias, Jane

Like 0      
27 Sep 2010 3:52 PM by Flybynight Star rating. 60 posts Send private message

Flybynight´s avatar

The General Strike is WEDNESDAY!

WEDNESDAY 29th!

Like 0      
27 Sep 2010 3:56 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Ha ha keep your wig on! I meant to say WEDNESDAY

Like 0      
27 Sep 2010 4:28 PM by Flybynight Star rating. 60 posts Send private message

Flybynight´s avatar

We were in a Lidl's & a Mercadona today & they hadn't any signs up to say they were closed this Wednesday 29th! Seeing as Wednesday is the day after tomorrow I certainly would've expected a notice IF they weren't trading.

I can't see bars & restaurants closing either. I've not seen any notices up on bars & restaurants at all mentioning the strike.

Like 0      
27 Sep 2010 4:33 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Thanks Flyby, I expect most places will be open as usual.

Jane

Like 0      
27 Sep 2010 6:16 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Our friends have specifically asked at Mercadona, who will definitely be open.  I suspect that with the "crisis", bars and restaurants will be open and treating Wednesday as a fiesta!  The more customers there are, the better.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
28 Sep 2010 8:49 PM by luton town Star rating in Gran Alacant Costa B.... 37 posts Send private message

luton town´s avatar

Due to the strike....

BMI Baby and Jet 2.Com...cancellations 29th September.

.........both have cancelled flights from Alicante to the UK tomorow......

Like 0      
28 Sep 2010 9:01 PM by max! Star rating in Fuengirola. 944 posts Send private message

max!´s avatar

Schools are completely or partly closed depending on the teachers. Lots of companies I know will not work. Not because they are affected by the government new rules, but because their staff will strike to show solidarity. Some shops will close because they would like to be open, but afraid they will get stones through the windows.

I´m not as optimistic as the other posters about the situation tomorrow. I assume that at least in Andalucia the strike will be taken seriously.

We shopped for two days to make sure and our child will have to stay at home. I wonder what the majority of bars and restaurants will do.

Max.

Like 0      
28 Sep 2010 9:10 PM by luton town Star rating in Gran Alacant Costa B.... 37 posts Send private message

luton town´s avatar

"We shopped for two days to make sure and our child will have to stay at home. I wonder what the majority of bars and restaurants will do."

Max.

Would have thought they would have stocked up ready for everyone staying at home.....would like to think so ....if they have their business head on lol

Like 0      
29 Sep 2010 8:54 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Strike day!

Although my kids' teacher is on strike, all schools are open and around here most businesses seem to be open too today.

Supermarkets, bars, shops, etc, all seem to be open.

It doesn't look as bad as I thought it was going to be!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
29 Sep 2010 9:33 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Yes, seemed quite normal this morning - even saw some school buses doing their runs (Sotogrande's school buses weren't operating, although school open as normal!).

Beautiful day today - beaches will probably be busy!!

Like 0      
29 Sep 2010 10:43 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

hmmm!

Wonder what the other soldiers will be doing today then?

Seriously though...

The general strike will mainly cover public services such as public schools, public transport, refuse collection, air traffic control and possibly the police and emergency services, but I doubt it will affect any shops, bars and restaurants!

We are nipping out later today to the bank, then do a bit of shopping and possibly stop in one of the bars for a drinky (or two) on the way home (Yay happy hour!).

So will pop back into this thread later on and let you know what effects, if any, the general strike has had in this neck of the woods!

Methinks the taxi drivers will do a roaring trade today and I wonder what would happen if you went on a toll road today? Would all the barriers be up?

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
29 Sep 2010 11:07 AM by buzylizzie Star rating in Gibraltar, Manilva a.... 192 posts Send private message

buzylizzie´s avatar

I used the toll road this morning .... it was very quiet (as were all of the roads) but it wasn't free!

Also, absolutely no queue at the Gibraltar border which was quite a surpise.

There is no market in La Linea today.

This message was last edited by buzylizzie on 29/09/2010.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2010 11:25 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Well, there seemed to be little or no difference.. apart from the fact it was slightly warmer than the day before, and we had a mist suddenly appear late afternoon, which disapperad as quickly as it arrived.

Apart from that, didn't see any difference!

Even the rufsue lorry came around as normal!

oh! I diid notice that the Chino next to Eroski was shut, and it was very, very quite in Eroski... but then again it always seems to be on a Wednesday?

Looks like the main disruption was transport, but even then we saw a bus arrive and stop at the bus stop next to Eroski.

Haven't checked the news on EOS and TV about it yet, so maybe other parts of Spain have been badly affected, but here in Manilva area, all seemed as per norm to us.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
30 Sep 2010 2:36 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I think most Spaniards (belatedly) have realised that their country is screwed and that going on strike was a waste of time.  Hence the low turnout.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2010 7:00 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Typical! Spain had a general strike and nobody noticed!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

movinc to spain - looking to split van rental - 0 posts
Themed birthday cakes - 2 posts
Gestors Benalmadena - 2 posts
Building a dream villa in Altea Hills - 6 posts
forgot to put middle name on tickrts with ryan air - 20 posts
Changes to Iberdrola Electricity Contracts - 1 posts
Hi Guys ....new here - 19 posts
abbey financial solutions and Irish Life - 3 posts
F1 - 32 posts
Notary in Aguilas, Murcia - 2 posts
Notary in Aguilas, Murcia - 0 posts
Illegal house advice urgently required - 7 posts
Sharon’s Appeal for Noah’s Arc - "Three Rainbows" - 4 posts
Newbie to the site. - 2 posts
i also got riped off by devlin brothers - 0 posts
VAN HEADING TO SPAIN JAN 2011 - 0 posts
new sky viewing card - 2 posts
Consumer Protection Agency ? - 4 posts
Topping up an English phone - 2 posts
Self appointed, Involuntary, Guardian of the Abandonados... - 7 posts
Who to trust? - 20 posts
EOS Long term rental enquiries - 3 posts
Carpenter seeks work - 1 posts
6 months rental - 3 posts
state schools - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x