state schools

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Sep 2010 12:00 AM by meave Star rating in ireland. 1 posts Send private message

Hi,

I hope somebody could help me.I am a mum of 5 children,they are 12,11,9,8 and 7.I want to bring my kids to Spain for 14 months to live and experience the spanish culture and to learn the language.I want them to go to state schoo las I think they would pick up the spanish quicker there,but here are my worries...are the older two just two old as they dont speak any spanish,I couldnt stand them being picked on or left out because they cant speak spanish.They are bi-lingual at the moment,speaking Irish and English.I am also worried that they wont let me put all my kids in the same school,as we have five!

I havnt picked a region or area and dont really mind,so if anyone knows of a good state school where 5 children would be welcome and we could get some support with the language,i'd be really grateful.I think because we have only 14 monthsto stay in Spain, a school with not too many ex-pats would be better.Sorry for going on,I'm just nervous and dont want to put the kids through a nightmare....please help!

Like 0      
23 Sep 2010 3:58 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Hi meave and welcome to Eye on Spain.

Of the schools in our area I'm not sure they'd have the capacity for an extra 5 kids just like that, although if you were living here they would have to be accepted somehow as they are older than 6, the starting age in school.

I think your eldest ones would struggle without any Spanish though.

We have just published an ebook on Schools and Education in Spain which covers all of this and also the concerns you have.  You might want to check it out:

Schools and Education in Spain

Best of luck.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
23 Sep 2010 6:39 PM by Tumbit Star rating in Costa Blanca. 71 posts Send private message

Tumbit´s avatar

I second the opinion that the older of your childeren would struggle a little with the language - particularly if they haven't studied the language previously. It is common practise to stand them down a year, so they will be in a class with younger children to give them the chance to concentrate on learning the language as opposed to forging ahead with growing academically. Generally, the younger the children the quicker and easier it is for them to adapt.

Another point that you should give serious consideration to - especially if you have not decided on a deffinate location yet - is to which region you would like then to go to school in. This is because certain regions teach the majority of lesson in the Local / Regional language ahead of Castillian ( National Spanish ). For example, in the Region of Valencia, many towns start teaching children exclusively Valenciano up to 7 years of age, and then start to slowly introduce some lessons in Castillian.  This is because the Regional Government provide the Schools / Town Halls that promote the regional language with a greater subsidy than those that choose not to.

Here's a link to a couple of Blogs on the subject of schooling in Spain that I have posted on the forum previously  -  http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/Tumbit-JoGreen.aspx

Like 0      
23 Sep 2010 6:39 PM by Tumbit Star rating in Costa Blanca. 71 posts Send private message

Tumbit´s avatar

I second the opinion that the older of your childeren would struggle a little with the language - particularly if they haven't studied the language previously. It is common practise to stand them down a year, so they will be in a class with younger children to give them the chance to concentrate on learning the language as opposed to forging ahead with growing academically. Generally, the younger the children the quicker and easier it is for them to adapt.

Another point that you should give serious consideration to - especially if you have not decided on a deffinate location yet - is to which region you would like then to go to school in. This is because certain regions teach the majority of lesson in the Local / Regional language ahead of Castillian ( National Spanish ). For example, in the Region of Valencia, many towns start teaching children exclusively Valenciano up to 7 years of age, and then start to slowly introduce some lessons in Castillian.  This is because the Regional Government provide the Schools / Town Halls that promote the regional language with a greater subsidy than those that choose not to.

Here's a link to a couple of Blogs on the subject of schooling in Spain that I have posted on the forum previously  -  http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/Tumbit-JoGreen.aspx

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Maurice Boland from Talk Radio Europe kicked out - 3 posts
Washing Machine engineer - 1 posts
pool plans - 2 posts
Online recipe site - Yummy food. - 0 posts
Car Hire Recommendation Al Andalus Car Hire - 29 posts
PAINT SHOP WITH GOOD SELECTION - 6 posts
Certified Copies of Original Documents for use in South Africa - 1 posts
UK Passport application - 6 posts
ryder cup weekend - 1 posts
BT in Spain! - 11 posts
Entertainer & professional Male Singer - 0 posts
Judge criticizes Polaris contracts - 2 posts
UK Resident - 4 posts
Jet Ski - 5 posts
Space - 0 posts
Van, Bike , Truck , Bouncy Castles , Rapid7 Air Rifle MK1 - 1 posts
Boxer Pups for sale - 0 posts
Family Book - 4 posts
Storage room wanted in Sabinillas Area - 0 posts
Introduction - 3 posts
Community Vs Mancomunidad - 2 posts
Authorities say I 'underdeclared' 3600Euros! - 11 posts
Denuncia - 1 posts
Telefonica/Movistar BILLS - 2 posts
Can I pay the IBI online - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x