F1

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Sep 2010 12:00 AM by julia vittles Star rating in Taunton England / Ca.... 20 posts Send private message

Does anybody watch F1 ?

My daughter ,husband and I are mad on F1.

It is going to be a close race with Webber 187 points, Hamilton 182, ALonso 166, Button 165, Vettle 163.

Massa not so good now is is in last position for tomorrow, but we will wait and see as some of the corners could still be damp.

This message was last edited by julia vittles on 25/09/2010.

Like 0      
25 Sep 2010 6:52 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

We watch it on Spanish TV, though we usually have the BBC website up on the screen in case something dramatic happens and we don't understand the Spanish commentators!  Plus they are often too busy talking about Fernando.....!!!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
26 Sep 2010 10:32 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Julia, I am a total F1 nut so I'd like to join the club please!

I'm looking forward to today's race.  I think it could be a good one, especially if there's some rain (fingers crossed).  I'm Sure Hamilton, Button and Vettel will be giving Alonso a very hard time.

I have SKY in the office so go there to watch it....which is why I'm "working" today

Sue, I cannot bear to watch it on Sexta.  They never talk about anyone other than Alonso and their commentary is just so biased towards him.  He can also never do anything wrong.  It just doesn't compare to Martin Brundle on BBC.

Before I had SKY in the office I used to put it on Spanish TV and put BBC Radio Five Live on as the sound....much better.

Let's see what happens today....can't wait.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
26 Sep 2010 6:37 PM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar

So did you all watch?? I was glued as normal - not an Alonso fan normally but thought he drove out of his skin today. Shame Vettel didn't get closer, watching him trying to pass Alonso would have been entertaining so say the least!

Like 0      
26 Sep 2010 8:00 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Yeah, Vettel seemed to wait until the last lap to close up on Alonso.  A bit late for that!

I sort of lost interest once Hamilton went off.  I watched in horror is rear wheel suspension bending out of shape.

Gutted.

Look forwards to the next one.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
26 Sep 2010 8:16 PM by julia vittles Star rating in Taunton England / Ca.... 20 posts Send private message

A very good  race  considering  there was not a lot of space to over take, corner 7 not so good for M Schumacher and Heidfeld also Webber and  Lewis  Hamilton.

Some of the problems were changing from soft  tyres to hard tyres i thought.

Massa  did  o.k  as  he started from the back and ended up 10, but he is on his last new engine so will it last him for the next four races?

Alonso   you've  got  to admire his driving in this race.

Vettel and Webber did well for the Redbull.

I hope  Jenson Button would get third (as he is from Somerset a good place to live)  if you cant live in Spain all year.

Can't wait for the Japan race.

Like 0      
26 Sep 2010 8:54 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I think Kubica deserves a mention too - provided virtually the only exciting overtaking moves towards the end. Ferrari next year?

Justin, can't you watch it on BBC iPlayer ?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
26 Sep 2010 9:37 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I think Hamilton has "lost the plot" a little. Some of his kamikazee antics resulted in todays "racing incident" and his 2nd no finish in 2 races. Time to wise up a bit Lewis!

Mark

Like 0      
26 Sep 2010 10:09 PM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar

I agree Roberto - Kubica was fab towards the end. Give him a good car underneath him & he could be great. Playing second fiddle to Alonso at Ferrari would not be great tho - wonder how much more Massa can take?

Had to feel for the Lotus driver - Kovalainen? - haven't seen a fire on an F1 car like that for a few years. Was yelling at the tv to get out of the car!!

Like 0      
27 Sep 2010 9:16 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Roberto, yeah, Kubica was good to watch near the end.  He is doing well this year.

I can't watch it well on iPlayer as out internet connection at home isn't good enough to watch it streaming without it have to stop and load every now and then.  It's too frustrating to watch it like that.

Justin

Like 0      
27 Sep 2010 8:51 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Mark! Hamilton "lost the plot"? Kamikazee? Time to wise up? Bit harsh, I would say. If that description fits any of the current top drivers, possibly Vettel, but you have to remember that these guys are piloting a rocket at speeds over 200mp/h for up to 2 hours without a break, no power steering, no servo assisted brakes, massive G-forces - anybody who claims this is not a sport should bear in mind that these guys are supremely fit athletes with reaction times and skills way beyond our wildest imaginations - most of us would struggle to control a 70 hp Renault Clio on a wet bend on the N340 at anything over 30 mp/h. A racing incident is exactly what it was - these guys are racers, after all, it's their nature and instinct to take chances where the rest of us can only dream of going, and I for one am happy to watch them ply their trade for my entertainment!

Just a thought (one for Justin the frustrated F1 designer perhaps); why don't they design the cars with side pods between front and rear wheels? With the exception of when two cars are completely mis-matched for speed or grip, almost every overtaking manoevre results in a locking of wheels, with one or both cars inevitably ending up out of the race with broken suspension or steering. I'm sure some previous designs had more protection in that area.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Sep 2010 9:05 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

From my point of view, the incident happened a few minutes after he was complaining his drinking straw wasn't working. Yes, I know they need a lot of fluids, but it seemed a bit of "spitting his dummy out"

I know they have to put up with a lot, and frustration must set in (I know what it's like being behind a Sunday driver in lane 3 of the M62), but I stand by my words that (in my opinion) he has lost the plot. I hope he is able to come around to being the good driver I remember.

Mark

Like 0      
27 Sep 2010 9:53 PM by julia vittles Star rating in Taunton England / Ca.... 20 posts Send private message

It  reminds  of when we are watching football,  sat on the settee shouting at the goalie for missing the ball.

We are all at home  giving our EXPERT  ADVICE  what they should have done or how we would have done better.

They are all good drivers given the right car.

Like 0      
28 Sep 2010 10:18 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

FACT:  Hamilton has provided most of the entertainment this year.  Just look at the first 4 or 5 races, Hamilton was the only driver taking risks and actually doing some amazing overtakes.

Yes, sometimes they don't come out right but you have to hand it to him, he never gives up.

Too many drivers seem happy to follow the car in front and not take any risks, just to get some points.  At least Hamilton has a go.

Schumacher didn't win 7 championships following other cars.  Witness Barcelona 1996 in a sopping track!

We need drivers that take risks, it's all getting too boring.

I, for one, am very glad that Hamilton has a go, even though my heart sank when he hit Webber!

Roberto, thinking back to my days when I used to work for the BAR F1 team, the side pods are the size they are for engine cooling reasons, and also within the FIA specs it states what the maximum size they can be is.   I suppose the FIA could change this and the engine designs would have to change as a result but I can't see that happening.

I think we'll just keep seeing Lewis lose a few more wheels!

Justin

Like 0      
30 Sep 2010 4:06 PM by julia vittles Star rating in Taunton England / Ca.... 20 posts Send private message

Justin   When did you work for BAR F1  team,  what year and if i am not being to nosey what sort of work did you do ?

Did you get to go to some of the races?

This message was last edited by julia vittles on 30/09/2010.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2010 6:36 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

It was back when they were just starting up having bought the Tyrell team.  I was the assistant to the technical director, who was Adrian Reynard at the time.

I didn't really like it though...it didn't suit my laid-back (lazy) style in those days and I felt very out of place there.  It's another world even for the engineers.

The team today is the Mercedes team!  If I'd stayed I could have been working with Schumacher now....doh!

I was young and naive in those days.  I would have approached it in a different way today.

It was certainly an interesting experience though!

Justin

Like 0      
30 Sep 2010 7:20 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Huh.....you make it sound quite un-glamorous - and there I was, thinking you were The Stig!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Oct 2010 5:20 PM by julia vittles Star rating in Taunton England / Ca.... 20 posts Send private message

I am counting down the days to F1 in JAPAN,

If you are in England who of you will be up 5 - 5.30 am for the start of the race at 6 am.  (only a true fan will be watching this time of the day)

Mind you when we lived  in Spain  my husband,  daughter and i got up at four am to watch a race but i can not remember  what race it was.

This message was last edited by julia vittles on 05/10/2010.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2010 5:24 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Japan is always a good race and I always get up to watch it!

We're an hour ahead in Spain which helps.

Looking forward to the race.

Justin

Like 0      
05 Oct 2010 8:58 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I should just about be getting in from my usual Saturday night out then, so................ COME ON, AUSSIE GRIT !

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Notary in Aguilas, Murcia - 2 posts
Notary in Aguilas, Murcia - 0 posts
Illegal house advice urgently required - 7 posts
Sharon’s Appeal for Noah’s Arc - "Three Rainbows" - 4 posts
Newbie to the site. - 2 posts
i also got riped off by devlin brothers - 0 posts
VAN HEADING TO SPAIN JAN 2011 - 0 posts
new sky viewing card - 2 posts
Consumer Protection Agency ? - 4 posts
Topping up an English phone - 2 posts
Self appointed, Involuntary, Guardian of the Abandonados... - 7 posts
Who to trust? - 20 posts
EOS Long term rental enquiries - 3 posts
Carpenter seeks work - 1 posts
6 months rental - 3 posts
state schools - 3 posts
Maurice Boland from Talk Radio Europe kicked out - 3 posts
Washing Machine engineer - 1 posts
pool plans - 2 posts
Online recipe site - Yummy food. - 0 posts
Car Hire Recommendation Al Andalus Car Hire - 29 posts
PAINT SHOP WITH GOOD SELECTION - 6 posts
Certified Copies of Original Documents for use in South Africa - 1 posts
UK Passport application - 6 posts
ryder cup weekend - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 33

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x