need to put fire inset in fireplace-winter months to keep warm

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Aug 2010 12:00 AM by eltonia Star rating. 47 posts Send private message

Anyone help please,our place is in Alhaurin el grandee,we have a fireplace that we put logs on last year,but house still very cold,infact very off putting visiting in the winter months,am thinking about having one of those insets put in fireplace with a glass front,are they any good can  some-one please advise and if so where can i get one from and how much will it cost and also have it installed.thanks so much---maybe then we will be able to visit more regurlaly

thanks everyone

Pat

Like 0      
07 Aug 2010 9:27 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Hi...

We have a cast iron log burner and find it to be very efficient.

Here and here are a couple of links to suppliers. The first company have a wealth of information which they are only to happy to share with prospective customers.

We installed ours ourselves; we bought the unit from a local ferretaria, although similar items are available from AKI or Brico Depot or Leroy Merlin.

It is necessary to install a full length flue pipe from the unit to a point about 6 feet above the existing chimney pot. Once the flue pipe is installed fully the rest of the space surrounding the chimney top can be sealed off, thus preventing draughts coming down the outside of the flue pipe. It is a good idea to install a cowl to the top of the flue pipe; various types are available.

Additional ventilation for the room in which the stove is fitted is essential, especially after the original chimney has been sealed off...

As I recall we spent about 375€ for the unit itself and spent another 70€ or so on flue pipes.

Logs can be quite expensive however, unless you have a source locally; we have found it cheaper to run electric oil filled radiators in the living room and use 400W Ecoheat panels in the bedrooms.

Anyway I hope this helps....

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
08 Aug 2010 11:37 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Last winter we bought one of those moveable gas fires. It was just over a 100 Euros, the first gas cylinder was around 35 Euros and subsequent ones are around 10.50 Euros. We found this generated enough heat to keep warm, we have a 3 bed quad, and we made sure we left a window or door slightly open to make sure we had plenty of ventilation. Gas cylinder lasted 14 days and we were happy with both the price and performance. Even my wife was happy! Kevin

Like 0      
08 Aug 2010 8:11 PM by Benicarlo Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

We put a Hergom inset fire in around 20 years ago and use 2-3 tons of wood a year. If I were doing it again I would not have an inset fire I would have a free standing fire with much more metal surface area in the room. They give a lot more heat. The more exposed metal the more heat.

Our has two fans that boosts the hot air around. Well worth considering

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

SELLING A PROPERTY - 3 posts
7.5 Tonne truck has to go. - 2 posts
MOT in Gibraltar - 4 posts
directions from Ikea back to Condado. - 0 posts
2620 - 0 posts
6 Month Rental Request - Advice Please! - 6 posts
A bit of help needed please - 8 posts
Advertising Information - 2 posts
Hola Everyone :) - 1 posts
Gas Plancha required also Coffee Machine - 3 posts
Delivery to UK - 0 posts
Spain flights 2011 - 3 posts
what does "eres una máquinba" mean - 4 posts
Best Tariff = Iberdrola - 14 posts
last two electricity bills have been estimated??!! - 13 posts
Ubiquitous Mortgages - 2 posts
Hotels in Seville - 6 posts
Spanish propertyowned by a UK Company - 1 posts
Murcia region info - 2 posts
cost of a 4,4kw electricity unit with endesa - 1 posts
the uk gov. stealing money off the poorest - 61 posts
Spanish Car HPI check - 1 posts
BANK GUARANTEES PETITION - LEY 57/68 - 85 posts
EHIC for Spanish Nationals - 7 posts
ice cream - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x