A bit of help needed please

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Aug 2010 12:00 AM by kaush Star rating in London. 13 posts Send private message

Someone living in my apartment that I havent completed on or got a mortgage with, is this allowed on an offplan purchase?

I started purchasing a property offplan in Oasis La cala De Mijas (http://www.oasiscalademijas.com/index_ru.html)

I had a firm of solicitors representing me in the purchase (back in 2005 I think) based nearby La Cala.  The development required 25% deposit plus the IVA taxes and I gave this between 2005-2007 on their schedule.  The development was due to complete in 2008 I believe and was slightly delayed and it completed end of 2008 (dates are slightly vague now).  As completion happened and the recession hit (oh and when I initially purchased offplan promises were made by the agent and developer that a mortgage is guaranteed on completion and no more money would need to be put in) when I did try to obtain a mortgage in 2008 the valuation came in way less than the purchase price and so I therefore had to put more money in to the mortgage as they would only give loan to value of 75%, I tried several banks but with no joy and with the recession no mortgages were being approved.  
Going back and forth through the legal team the developer agreed to offer a 3 year period where we can rent the property and this would go against the purchase price,  and within 3 years I have to complete on the mortgage, which I was happy with and agreed to.  
Over the past year I, and the legal team have been chasing the developer to ask how much the monthly rent will be so that we can continue with this deal and sign the contract but to date nothing has come back even after so much chasing.  I had enough of chasing and decided to finish this deal and tell the lawyers I want my money back from the developer.

The lawyer said the maximum we should try and get back is 50% of my outlay,  but they need half their legal fees up front and the remainder between then and completion.  I am not sure if this is normal in Spain or not or if they also do no win no fee like most places??

Finally to put a nail in the coffin my mum went to Spain last week to visit my brother and just out of curiosity visited my apartment and it seems like someone has installed glass screens on the balcony and has plants on the terrace!!! which means someone is living there????  I am shocked and very angry at this.. .I assume this is why the developer has delayed giving a rental price??

What do I do, and what can I do???

This was my life savings that went into the deposit and I dont know what I can do now

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I would rather get some other opinions before going back to my lawyers in Spain and seeing what they suggest now, My personal representatives have changed a few times over the years within the firm and I am just not as confident as I used to be with them

Thanks

KD

This message was last edited by kaush on 06/08/2010.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2010 4:03 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Personally I would speak to Maria at Costa Luz Lawyers to try and sort out all of this, it sounds like a nightmare to get to the bottom of what has gone wrong where and who is responsible.

Good luck

Kelju

Like 0      
09 Aug 2010 6:39 PM by Valentinaradu Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

I agree with kelju. There are very little people you can trust now with property, law suits, etc and I know Maria Luz de Castro is one of them.

. It is weird to hear that there are people living in your house without you knowing , even if you have not completed yet. From my experience I would belive that they rented your apartment without you knowing. I have seen lots of weird cases in my translation career and probably this is one of them.

Good luck!

Like 0      
09 Aug 2010 7:11 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

If they have sold the property without cancelling your contract and refundind to you what is due, they would be performing a double sale crime...

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
12 Aug 2010 2:11 PM by tok Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hi there,

Thank you so much for the replies, and I am just gathering the information for you Maria, thank you for getting back to me.

It certainly is being used as my brother drove past recently and there is plants on the terrace and a screen been installed so I can not see anyone doing that if they are just renting.  I have not received any money back and my current solicitors can not get hold of the developer, and I have not been informed by them that the apartment was going to be rented or sold?

Its so frustrating knowing what is going on and that my entire life savings are buried in that place.

Maria, I have asked my current solicitors for a copy of my contract and am trying to get as much details as I can.

Thanks so much for the advice

Kaush & Sandy

Like 0      
12 Aug 2010 2:17 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Ok. Please keep us posted.

Best wishes for this,

Maria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
17 Sep 2010 8:31 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Hi

Can anybody help please.  We are having a few problems on our development and we keep getting the words "well in Spain it is different".  We know it is different in Spain but we have to keep our sanity and try and action problems as they occur.  We have a President who lives in Spain but the other committee members live in England does anybody know if it is legal to call a committee meeting to be held in England even if the President says he cannot attend?

Jojan

Like 0      
21 Sep 2010 6:42 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

The Committy meeting can be held anywhere, always provided the member of the committe agree so.

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 21/09/2010.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
21 Sep 2010 8:10 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Thank you Maria that settles our mind a little, we weren't sure if it was the President who had to call the meeting.

Regards

Jojan

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Advertising Information - 2 posts
Hola Everyone :) - 1 posts
Gas Plancha required also Coffee Machine - 3 posts
Delivery to UK - 0 posts
Spain flights 2011 - 3 posts
what does "eres una máquinba" mean - 4 posts
Best Tariff = Iberdrola - 14 posts
last two electricity bills have been estimated??!! - 13 posts
Ubiquitous Mortgages - 2 posts
Hotels in Seville - 6 posts
Spanish propertyowned by a UK Company - 1 posts
Murcia region info - 2 posts
cost of a 4,4kw electricity unit with endesa - 1 posts
the uk gov. stealing money off the poorest - 61 posts
Spanish Car HPI check - 1 posts
BANK GUARANTEES PETITION - LEY 57/68 - 85 posts
EHIC for Spanish Nationals - 7 posts
ice cream - 5 posts
BANK GUARANTEES PETITION - LEY 57/68 - 2 posts
spanish lessons - 3 posts
FREE HEALTHCARE? - 8 posts
Internet Savvy Person Wanted - 4 posts
ESCUDERO PROMOTORS - 3 posts
can I ask the elecricity & water company to do a real reading before renters move in my apt? - 1 posts
Car Recovery from Malaga to Orihuela - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x