MOT in Gibraltar

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Aug 2010 12:00 AM by tonydoug Star rating in Nueva Andalucia. 18 posts Send private message

It's a bit of a longshot, but does anyone know if you can get an official MOT done in Gib that will be registered in the UK so that you can still get officially taxed etc.???

Like 0      
06 Aug 2010 11:42 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Sorry but in a word....No!

Gib. MOTS are only valid for Gib reg vehicles in exactly the same way as Spanish ITV certs are only legally valid for Spanish reg vehicles.

The only valid MOT cert for a UK reg vehicle is one issued in the UK. You should also be made aware that a SORN cert has no validity outside the UK either. Once the UK road tax runs out you are really stymied because DVLA's enforcement branch called the Continuous Registration Branch will be after you too with fines for non-payment of Road Tax.

If your UK MOT has expired then you are about to join the ranks of the hundreds or thousands of UK reg vehicles that are illegal in Spain and which the Guardia Civil Trafficos are currently having a purge on, particularly in the holiday resorts and Brit enclaves in Spain. They can (and regularly do,) confiscate such vehicles and have them scrapped and fine the owners for non-compliance with Spanish Law. 

The only option for an untaxed, un-MOT'd vehicle in Spain is to have it transported to the UK, directly to an MOT Station with a pre-made appointment.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
07 Aug 2010 9:07 AM by tonydoug Star rating in Nueva Andalucia. 18 posts Send private message

Thanks for that Foxbat - very helpful

I'm very careful with keeping my car legal - it is one of the few UK registered that is taxed, MOT'd, and insured! The only possible snag is being in Spain for over 6 months, but I am assuming that odd trips to Gib and Portugal overcome that!.

I'll probably take it back to the UK in the winter for a few weeks for an MOT etc.

Thanks again

Like 0      
07 Aug 2010 9:48 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

tonydoug

Many of us started out like you and for one reason or another we don't bring our cars back to the UK and then before you know it time's up and your MOT & tax expire etc.

I put my UK plated car on Spanish plates earlier this year. It's actually quite a simple (if tedious) process and I did it all myself because anyone I asked wanted far too much money for the process. Spanish gestorias are slightly cheaper but the ex-pat types advertising in all the free rags are rip-off merchants and one or two have even taken peoples money and not completed the job!

Like 0      
07 Aug 2010 11:00 AM by tonydoug Star rating in Nueva Andalucia. 18 posts Send private message

Thanks for that - very helpful.

I'll investigate how to do it and how much it costs

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

directions from Ikea back to Condado. - 0 posts
2620 - 0 posts
6 Month Rental Request - Advice Please! - 6 posts
A bit of help needed please - 8 posts
Advertising Information - 2 posts
Hola Everyone :) - 1 posts
Gas Plancha required also Coffee Machine - 3 posts
Delivery to UK - 0 posts
Spain flights 2011 - 3 posts
what does "eres una máquinba" mean - 4 posts
Best Tariff = Iberdrola - 14 posts
last two electricity bills have been estimated??!! - 13 posts
Ubiquitous Mortgages - 2 posts
Hotels in Seville - 6 posts
Spanish propertyowned by a UK Company - 1 posts
Murcia region info - 2 posts
cost of a 4,4kw electricity unit with endesa - 1 posts
the uk gov. stealing money off the poorest - 61 posts
Spanish Car HPI check - 1 posts
BANK GUARANTEES PETITION - LEY 57/68 - 85 posts
EHIC for Spanish Nationals - 7 posts
ice cream - 5 posts
BANK GUARANTEES PETITION - LEY 57/68 - 2 posts
spanish lessons - 3 posts
FREE HEALTHCARE? - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x