Beach Thieves! - Be aware!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Apr 2007 7:43 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Crikey, what a response my reporting of this event has caused!

I posted the thread just to make others aware. i know the majority of us are not stupid and are careful with our possessions.

However, there are those of us that slip into holiday mode when abroad, drink too much beer in the beach bar and can be too trusting of others.

It is just a reminder if you like, to be alert!

Rgds,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
30 Apr 2007 7:43 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
There will always be petty crime, wherever you are in the world.  Pitby is right, it's just common sense.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
30 Apr 2007 7:45 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Wow justin!

That's a first!

We both posted a reply on this thread at the same time!

Spooky darling!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
30 Apr 2007 7:48 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Well, I have had a sports bag stolen in a bar in Pimlico, London (from under my feet as a group of us sat on high stools round a table!)  also a purse stolen from my bag on the tube in London, a bag on the back of a chair in Victoria station (my friend sitting opposite me didn't see it happen!), plus a briefcase and sports bag stolen from a hotel in London.  Also a rucksack has been opened (on my back) and things stolen from it in Paris, in Lille and in Malaga.  John has had a bag stolen in France, and a bag on his back has been slashed and his camera stolen from it in Madrid.  No matter where you are in the world, there are thieves around and if you are not careful you can become a victim.  I don't think Spain is better or worse than any other country. I have to say that I didn't have anything of great value on me when these things were stolen, or I would have been extra careful. These incidents have been over a period of 20 years so the lesson is that wherever you are there may be thieves around so don't be complacent!  John and I are pretty aware of what is going on around us, but with professional thieves you have to be extra vigilant!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
01 May 2007 2:07 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Suemac

wow!

That is some score board, even if it is over 20 years!

I have only ever lost one purse, my fault, I put it on the top of the car and just drove of!!

I have never had a burglary, bag snatch or anything else.

Oh oh, I may eat my words now I have said that!

Be safe everyone!

Rgds,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
04 May 2007 10:32 PM by peter-c Star rating in South Wales/Golf La .... 21 posts Send private message

My wife and I were in Alicante a month ago, together with my son and his wife. Middle of the day, walking on the promenade, with lots of people about. I left the group for five minutes, and my wife had her bag taken. Luckily it was recovered straight away by my son, but just for info this is what happened. All three of them sat on a bench near the water's edge, then were surrounded by members of a large family. Two women and a young child stood in front of them, looking into the water, and a man threw bread into the water to attract fish, then motioned to my family to get up and watch the fish. They didn't get up, but moved towards the edge of their seat. A second man moved behind them and must have snatched the bag from the bench. My wife shouted her bag had gone, then a third man pointed down the path shouting to my son that 'the black man had got it', trying to persuade him to run and chase. My daughter-in-law saw the bag on the next bench down, next to yet another woman from the same group, and the bag was recovered. The whole family then disappeared rapidly in all directions. A lucky escape, and my wife is always so careful. Beware of similar tricks!

Like 0      
05 May 2007 1:09 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Thank you Peter C!

I began to think that when I started this thread, it was taken as a joke!

I know we should all be aware, but there are very clever tricksters out there!

It happened to my Daughter in Tenerife, she was 18 at the time.

Insisted on taking ALL her money out, purse in hand. An "Aboriginal" looking man, made a joke of taking our family picure with a large brick as a camera off the beach.

After much tooing and froing to get us as a family into the right postion for the perfect picture, he "snapped the camera lens".

Clapping all round from the hugely gathered audience, he then dissapeared into the crowd, along with my Daughter's purse.

It was our Silver wedding treat (1972), our first Daughter's 21st (1976) and our twins 18th birthday (1979) as you have worked out, that trick was in 1997 and I am sure, is still going on today, so, BE AWARE!

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
06 May 2007 1:13 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Not quite on the beach...but frightening non the less!!

Was in Benidorm a few weeks ago, in the evening, with my hubby and friends, just walking along..we stopped to decide which way to go and I felt a 'warmth' near my arm. I had my bag over my shoulder with the zip tied up to the strap AND my fingers around the zip end. The 'warmth' turned out to be the hand of a youngish guy ( hidden with a magazine) on my hand!!

I was livid and gave him such a mouthful AND I am usually such a pacifist! AND then I clonked him round the face!! I still can't believe I did that!! I also find it hard to believe that although there were lots of people about, NO one did anything to help ( either me or him!!)

It took me ages, several ciggies and considerable vino to stop the shaking.

I know it's not a good idea to take handbags and such, but with advancing age ie. glasses ( mine and hubby's) and all the other stuff I seem to get lumbered with, I don't have much choice.

Nothing was gone, except my equilibrium, but even being so careful.....you just cannot be too careful! ANYWHERE!!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
06 May 2007 1:34 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Karensun

Well done you. Bet that gave him a real fright. It's true what you say about nobody batting an eyelid when something like that happens. People are so frightened these days to "get involved" which I think is a shame. If more people did, like they used to then maybe it would make the thieves think twice about it when in a crowd and there could be a chance that they would be pounced on. I would have done the same in your position. Last week we heard a kerfuffle going on outside our office. my colleague and I ran out to see what was up. There was a group of teenagers and one was on the floor while another one was hitting him. People were just standing around or passing by. We didn't think twice, just waded in, pulled him off and told him to get going. (Or words to that effect) I know that some people will say that that was stupid but when you have kids yourself I think the adrenalin kicks in and it's just instinct. Just got to keep our wits about us at all times but the thieves are so clever these days unfortunately.

Like 0      
02 Sep 2007 8:15 PM by hudsey Star rating in Hexham, Northumberla.... 120 posts Send private message

hudsey´s avatar

Hi All,

Just returned from Spain on Friday morning.  We go to La Zenia beach.  Lots of cars had been broken in to.  I was talking to one bloke who had left (can you believe it), all of his money and his families passports in the car.  His kids had been going back and forward to the car, they were obviously being watched.  The car window had been completely smashed and everything stolen. 

Every day there was lots of broken glass around from car windows.  By day three the poilice were out in force, both on bikes, on foot and in partol cars, this was good to see. 

People were still leaving all their belongings on the beach and going off for a swim for hours at a time.  The beach was packed, very easy for the thieves to operate.

Lets be careful and stop it from happening.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

anybody purchased through masa - 10 posts
buying cortijo costa tropical - 1 posts
Cost of Purchase on Polaris World - 7 posts
Signing on the Padron at new office, Torrevieja - 1 posts
The community meeting! - 2 posts
TAX SCAM - 1 posts
Imonl Legal Services Experience - 2 posts
Free Guide to Buying in Spain 36-page guide ... for free! - 3 posts
Duquesa - 3 posts
Tax Scam - 2 posts
ANY PROBLEMS WITH BUYING RESALES ? - 17 posts
Satalite TV - 2 posts
ENTERTAINMENT - 0 posts
Full Refund Requested "Aureus " - 2 posts
Re-mortgage - 4 posts
Help please with avatar - 1 posts
10000000's of questions about moving permanently to Spain. - 32 posts
Security Grills - 2 posts
wok buffet san javier? - 25 posts
new air line - 5 posts
appartment needed - 5 posts
Community Charges - 27 posts
Spanish Dream - 24 posts
ANGER MANAGEMENT (Deserved its own thread) - 14 posts
The things kids say .....!!!! - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 30

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x