Investing in property in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Apr 2010 12:00 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Every now and then someone asks me about investing in property in Spain usually long-term 5+ years and taking advantage of the market when it’s down etc. These are private individuals and not what we might call real investors.

My initial response is usually quite negative and of course I point out the high acquisition and disposal costs and all the other annual costs that go hand in hand with owning a property in Spain and that’s not even mentioning all the risks and of course the harsh tax rules applying to the taxation of rental income etc

But if they want to buy a property using it for family holidays and renting it when not here etc then that’s a different story altogether.

But my question is would anyone recommend buying a pure investment/rental property in Spain and if so what type of property or development and from where?

Like 0      
29 Apr 2010 3:12 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

Faro,

I know many people renting still now and not having a problem, specially in the Mijas Costa area.  As long as your property is well priced you will rent.  Obviuosly it is much harder to rent the further up the hills you are.  Some properties in the Calahonda and Riviera del Sol area are way past the toll road and no one lives up there, there are loads of empty properties and tones being reposesed, no one wants to live in a ghost town.

If you go to the lower areas you will see that prices are still fair and that properties are renting and selling.

One of my close friends is selling her villa which is 260m² built  for under €500,000 and i can guarantee you it will not be on the market for long at all! It is not even with the agencies yet and she has already had a few offers, that just goes to prove that if you have the right price you can make it.

You can always make an investment work if you now how!

Like 0      
29 Apr 2010 7:54 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I would say your initial ("quite negative") response is the correct one, for all the reasons you mention, and add to that that unless you are living in Spain and can keep a close eye on your investment yourself and manage it, then you would probably be best advised looking for an investment closer to home and one that you understand better.

On the other hand, there are certainly some interesting opportunities for someone who is just looking for a long term place to park some dosh, not necessarily needing an immediate return on their capital. Whether or not prices will rise over the next few years to levels similar to what they were is the stuff of crystal ball gazers, but if you stick to well established, well populated towns with year round residents, and avoid all the new developments (i.e. location location location) then I would imagine you will not go too far wrong. How about a 3 bedroomed apartment in a popular residential street close to Torremolinos town centre for €100k?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

siann - 1 posts
I Need Transport Space From Spain to UK (end of May) - 4 posts
Malaga Airport lift needed to Duquesa for 6 people - 09/06/2010 - 0 posts
Restaurant Critic's Wanted!! - 15 posts
Land registry and notary fees - 5 posts
Costa Blanca Transfers Car Hire- anyone used them? - 9 posts
wi-fi extenders - 4 posts
HELP WANTED - 0 posts
ITV & INSCURANCE - 5 posts
Universal Hospitality - 0 posts
Family Fun Day in Calahonda, Saturday 15th May 11:00-20:00 - 0 posts
items for sale - 0 posts
Looking for a caravan - 15 posts
Help! new type of Endesa Smart Meter - 4 posts
looking for a church in Corvera area - 3 posts
Major UK Airlines Launch 'Ash Cloud' Seat Sales - 0 posts
Can a devloper sue if you are unable to obtain the mortage ? - 1 posts
Digital switchover - 12 posts
Baby Show - Torremolinos - 1 posts
Creative hair Show in aid of Vera Orphanage - 0 posts
Owners/long term renters stealing community electricity? - 2 posts
van in UK leaves saturday - 1 posts
internet connection - 23 posts
motobike wanted - 0 posts
wanted - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x