any opinions on Formentera del Segura ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Aug 2008 10:08 AM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar

I must say I do agree with the post from FORMENTERA COSTA in
as much that my O.H. and I have been coming to this village
for approx 2 years now and I can honestly say that neither
of us have ever seen a rat running around.

GYPSY

Like 0      
08 Aug 2008 10:45 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Formentera Costa, I was posting in the no doom & gloom thread with others about seeing stunning foxes & badgers outside our home here. Sonia had mentioned seeing rats in London & I said I'd only seen one, in Formentera. That was truth, if it hurts your sensitivity about the place, that's your problem. I saw a rat in Formentera, hardly the end of the world !  I tried to diffuse the situation saying rats are everywhere in the world & you choose to go on about it.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/8/2008.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 4:52 AM by gavin.hughes Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

hey,
im am tryin to reply to someone who was putting the liffey bar down but first i would like to tell you about a couple i was talking while their food order: the asked me if there was a new paper shop around formentera and i said in all honeslty i dont live here im over here working till end of august. so i asked my boyfriend who lived over in spain for 6 years. and he said no. they have bought an apartment in formentura and the people they was buyin the apartment off lied to them and told them there would be a bank and a supermarket and a english newspaper or shop (or as near as) there was already a spanish bar they also got told there would be a irish bar next to the spanish bar and that came true as well as the supermarket. but nothing else happened even though there is a bank in the centre of formentera which is a 5 min walk from the liffey and spanish bar. but what i gont get they asked  me if there is any shop which sell english magazines. ( i disagree with the english shop becuase people come away for a holiday and to forget about whats happening back at home if you live live over here its a differnt story but if u live here u can get english tv so u can still watch emerdale and all the soaps and thing.  but i do disagree with the english shop it would be nice. i admit i made my friend  friend go to a spanish shop in quesada because im only over her for 8 week and we have no english tv but my friends friend came over then  brough sum magazines over and be casuse i cum over 4 week before then it was the same stuff. anyway on to why im on here that was just something i wanted to say and to get my point across.

i dont apriciate people calling the liffey bar saying it is not the place to be or its rubbish or boring. i come over last september and i always come in to the lifey bar and it was always busy and i met alot of nice people from all over the world and some spanish too. i personaly think english people are stuck up. because we try and talk spanish and if you say something wrong they will correct you but if they was in england and tryed talkin english most english people would take the mick, but they dont over here and i apriciate it as i have been though it and seen it. buy i come back over to spain in may this year because my friends parents had an apartment in formentera for 2 week and i met the manager of the liffey and we are till to gether now. and i am not just righting this because im sticking up for my boyfriend or being selfish people have there right to there opinion and ive learnt not to jude people by first impressions and this also applys to bars etc.. i am over here till end of august because , my boyfriend asked me to work and it has not been busy enough but thats probily be cause of the exchange rate. ill add another section tommorrow time to go sleep so wait for the other bit tomorrow

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 11:41 AM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar
To Gavin Hughes.
As you say people have a right to their opinions , I cannot understand
why you think there should not be a english newsagents here as a
lot of english people live here PERMANENTLY and also still wish to
buy a paper in ENGLISH.It does not mean that they have no respect
for the spanish, myself I DO NOT buy an english newpaper.
With regard to the Liffey Bar my O.H. and I have been in this bar
a lot as well as quite a lot of people who we know and all of them
(us included) have stopped going to this bar because of the attitude
by the female owner. Micheal and his sons are LOVELY people, not
so JOSIE. This is not only my OPINION but EVERYONE I have spoke
to. This is our nearest bar but prefer to go farther afield for a more 
pleasant time.As I said previously this is my personel opinoin which
i am entitled to !!!!!!

GYPSY

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 9:07 PM by natasha_kefford201988 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

to gypsy,
gavin hughes did not right that opinion that u replyed to it was me i made an account last night and i have no idea why it came up saying gavin had wrote it. to your reply it seems to me that you miss read what i wrote. i did say my opinion goes both ways on the newpaper shop. and yeah im intiteled to my opinion and so are other people i never that you was not. and as for the liffey you decided not to go in there anymore well that is ur choice and its my opinion to say i find it nice and the people are lovely and if you dont like the owner why do you go in the bar in the day. anyway im not saying anything else cause every ONE has there own opinion and i put my opinion across yesterday with some good remarks so there you go im entitled to a opinion when people call the liffey for no reason

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 10:40 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

HI Natasha, Gypsy would have assumed that Gavin had written that post as it say's his name by the post?????                       I have had a Sunday lunch in the Liffey bar and it was very nice.                                                                         But there is a lot of people on our Urb that find Josie not to friendly, that could be why you are so quiet, but perhaps she could learn from this if you are in business I think you have to take critisim and learn from it, try to improve.    That is my opinion.             Pat.

This message was last edited by Pat and Roy on 8/9/2008.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 11:29 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Pat, Roy & Gypsy. I agree with you all. Natasha should've posted under her own name, she obviously posted under Gavin's unintentionally & that is why we all thought it was Gavin.

Natasha, Gypsy said she used to go in The Liffey but not now. She explained why. 

Why don't those who like the Liffey use it & those who don't, go elsewhere, which seems to be what's happening ... simple isn't it ? 

Gavin/Natasha I can't see (anywhere) where anyone mentioned The Liffey Bar at all. I'm wondering if this is why you're going on about The Liffey. (Because no one DID say it was great & to go to it, like a few mentioned other bars).

Is Gavin Hughes the manager of the Liffey (?) & are you, Natasha, working for The Liffey ? Am I reading Natasha's post correctly (check out highlighted parts) as she said " i come back over to spain in may this year because my friends parents had an apartment in formentera for 2 week and i met the manager of the liffey and we are till to gether now. and i am not just righting this because im sticking up for my boyfriend or being selfish people have there right to there opinion and ive learnt not to jude people by first impressions and this also applys to bars etc.. i am over here till end of august because , my boyfriend asked me to work and it has not been busy enough but thats probily be cause of the exchange rate"

I'm getting the picture now, you're doing an advert for The Liffey as you work work there, correct ?

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/10/2008.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2008 10:03 AM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar
Hi More,
THANKS for the remark saying I USED TO GO in the liffey, I was just
about to correct that myself. I am in agreement with you that it could
be a ploy to advertise the liffey as I very much doubt anyone else wiil.

GYPSY

Like 0      
10 Aug 2008 3:37 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
From what Gavin Hughes BEBO PROFILE says it appears he's the son of the family at the Liffey.

He wrote "I´m Gav. 22. Live in Spain. I work in my family´s bar" & Natasha obviously works there too.

Come on you pair, you're not allowed to self promote so please don't. 

Like 0      
10 Aug 2008 9:00 PM by natasha_kefford201988 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

hey everyone.
i did not lie or mislead any one and yeah im working in the liffey but i am not advertising the liffey one bit. people have said the liffey is not so good and not to go there i will try and find out who said it so i can post if for proof. that was the one and only reason i was defending the liffy no other reason. and the other thing with gavins mum she can be a bit to much but all she dose is tell it how it is there is  nothing wrong with it.  i am just telling the truth if you dont like it its your problem.  and what is the whole idea or reasurching information about gavin???? its stupid all this people have opinions and other people do too for keep your opinions to your self and dont paste them in a opionion web site and you will not get all this thanx

Like 0      
10 Aug 2008 9:36 PM by Impey Star rating in London/Playa Flamenc.... 82 posts Send private message

Impey´s avatar
Have been reading this thread about the Liffey Bar with interest.

Have not been there but it occurs to me that if some people are not going because this woman is possibly putting them off (which of course they are perfectly entitled to do), would it not be better if someone in the family or close to her discretely had a quiet word with her about what is being said behind her back (well I assume she does not know) as perhaps she does not realise how she comes across sometimes. 

I don't know how I come across to others but I would hope that either of my grown up children would in a nice way speak to me, or at least try to get their point across, if I were in a similar situation and running a business and it started losing customers particularly at present.

My old gran used to say "politeness costs nothing".

PS By the way where is "The Liffey" as wouldn't mind going there myself?

This message was last edited by Impey on 8/10/2008.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2008 10:51 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Natasha, it was you & Gavin who posted (under your own names too  ) that you were reacting to people putting the Liffey down. There's nothing here (before you mentioned The Liffey) to suggest that. Nothing !

By giving your real names anyone can put "natasha kefford" into Google & see what you have in Bebo & other things. You've left yourself wide open. I didn't "research" Gavin, you put his Bebo details in your Bebo for all the world to see.

Even you say Gavin's mum
 "can be a bit to much but all she dose is tell it how it is there is  nothing wrong with it. " Seems there is something wrong with it if she's losing trade. So many can't be wrong !

Hello Impey ... I agree wholeheartedly with you.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/11/2008.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2008 8:24 AM by sichez Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

re: The Liffey.

The simple answer is "vote with your feet"

The problem that the Liffey has, is that there is enough competition in Formentera to see them quickly go out of business.

Manos, Tamanfaya, Eden, Bar Candy, Trasgu ... they're all there to frequent and patronise as much as we like.

Perhaps the Liffey was expecting to sit on it's "Irish laurels" for some time without making any effort, and taking advantage of the lazy Brits who'd rather not speak any Spanish at all.

Like I've said in previous posts, make a little effort in Spain and you'll go a long long way.

Maybe Josie and the staff at The Liffey could learn a thing a two from that?

Like 0      
11 Aug 2008 12:41 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Well said, Sichez, well said.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2008 7:36 PM by natasha_kefford201988 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

maybe ur right but we have spanish come in to the the liffy and all the staff speak spanish so i think ur wrong there. and yeah i agreee brits come to english bars because they can not or do nat wish to talk spanish but i been into a irish bar  just out of formentera and no one member off staff are english so whats ur opinion on that????

Like 0      
15 Aug 2008 12:31 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar
What a storm in a teacup or should I say tormenta en una taza de te!?

I've only just revisited this thread since spending a lovely couple of weeks if Formentera and I'm disappointed. Everyone's entitled to an opinion and provided they can justify their comments, then even if you don't agree, you shouldn't get antsy with them. 

Please all hug and make up!!!!!

By the way, whilst writing, can I put in a plea for punctuation? I struggle with some of the posts where there are no full stops, commas, capital letters etc. and often give up. Am I the only one who cares?

By the way, talking of bars in Formentera - next door to the Medical Centre there's a community centre which is open at lunchtimes (not in the evening though) and we had a great lunch - several different tapas dishes, fresh zumo de naranga una jarra de cerveza; all for 8 euros! Lovely people too.

Irene

Like 0      
15 Aug 2008 12:38 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Irene, I feel exactly the same as you with regard to punctuation, capital letters where required, paragraphs etc. I tend to give up too as certain posts are far too jumbled. (In some case it's worth ignoring though !) 

Glad you enjoyed your holidays.

Like 0      
15 Aug 2008 4:32 PM by sichez Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

Irene, I believe you're referring to Bar San Miguel (it has a pool out back)

It's a lovely place and the staff are utterly charming.

We were there in July, and even though the manageress's English was as poor as my attempts at Spanish, she brought some free tapas to our table, we sat outside. She explained that the vegetables had been grown in her own garden, and she was experimenting for a new menu.

It was quite touching to be involved like this, and it only makes our integration with the people of the village (and Spain in general) so much more rewarding! This simple act of kindness means Bar San Miguel will always be one of our regular stops around the village.

It just goes to show how a bit of reciprocal kindness goes such a long way. 

Mutual respect and good manners will always win over resentment and nepotism.

Like 0      
15 Aug 2008 4:55 PM by *kate* Star rating in Wolverhampton UK/For.... 10 posts Send private message

Hi everyone in Formentera,

Has anyone managed to get any itinery for the fiesta, as we are arriving on Tuesday wad would like to know whats happening.

Like 0      
15 Aug 2008 5:03 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Kate, yes started today fireworks went of at 8 this morning I have been informed, it is on till 7th of September.   SO you should see most of it have fun Programmes from town hall.  Very hot I have been told.   Pat 

This message was last edited by Pat and Roy on 8/15/2008.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Removals costs - 14 posts
Great Places to Walk Dogs - 2 posts
When will we have our garage? - 5 posts
Albondon - 7 posts
Albondon - 0 posts
Mosquito Eaters - 20 posts
Lake vinuela - 8 posts
telephone and boardband - 4 posts
Help with route/car - 17 posts
The Smiley & Rixxy (& friends) outlet, go for it .. in here guys. - 54 posts
Tell me the truth. - 5 posts
Urban Leonardo Da Vinci La Zenia Phase 2 - 0 posts
Air Conditioning - 0 posts
Antequera - 1 posts
Nature Caravaca de la Cruz - 0 posts
Mark Bond - 0 posts
NEED A NIGHT OUT SOOOON! - 48 posts
Koi in Spain - 20 posts
early repayment of mortgage - 16 posts
Self Cert Mortgages - 35 posts
Marbella Rugby Championship - proud mum posting! - 29 posts
anyone seen my kids? abducted and taken to porta banus - 5 posts
Parking - 2 posts
My driving license has hit a brick wall! - 28 posts
BEWARE!!! EXCESS BAGGAGE - 32 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 95

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x