DOWNLOADING FILMS FROM COMPUTER ONTO A D.V.D.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Dec 2009 12:00 AM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar

Hi can anyone tell me if it is legal to download films from the internet

onto a d.v.d.

if the answer is yes can someone give me simple step by step

instructions to do this as I am still a bit of a novice on the

computer.

MANY THANKS

GYPSY

Like 0      
16 Dec 2009 9:36 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

It is a "grey" area, the same as recording your LP/ CD onto tape, everyone does it, but techniclly it is illegal. If you legally download a film from the internet (i.e. pay for it), the chances are it will be in a MPEG file or similar. If you put that file onto dvd, you need to make sure your player supports Mpeg playback. It is as simple as copy/ paste the file from your hard drive to your media.

Mark

Like 0      
16 Dec 2009 10:44 PM by coolrunner Star rating in la marina. 91 posts Send private message

coolrunner´s avatar

its easy to do,you need to download a download manager such as bit torrent or utorrent,then go onto a download site such as pirate bay ,isohunt or torrentz etc etc,once you download your movie you will need a burning program such as nero [which takes up a lot of space on your hard drive]  ashampoo burning suite is a small program ,just follow the instructions ,dont worry about the format that your downloaded movie is in as the burning rom will convert it to play on your dvd player..as for legallity they are mainly after people who constantly download movies :example the chinese who sell them on the street,..

This message was last edited by coolrunner on 17/12/2009.

Like 0      
17 Dec 2009 12:40 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

I don't condone nor condemn this activity, however here are the facts:

Downloading films, music and software from the internet using bit torrent software or any software whereby you do not pay for the download is illegal and is classified as piracy, and as such is a criminal activity and you can be prosecuted.

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) WILL submit your Internet Protocol (IP) address to the authorities automatically, as when you use this software, your IP is tracked.

Large ISP's such as BT are now actively tracking such users who are conducting such activity and will not only report the users, but also suspend their accounts and possibly prosecute for illegal use of your connection under the Terms and Conditions of service.

It doesn't matter if you do it once or a thousand times, they are watching!

Also, quite often the files you download will contain viruses, key loggers and other malicious software.

My advice... be careful what you do and don't talk openly about it on open forums such as this... as we live in the times of Big Brother... whether we like it or not!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
17 Dec 2009 12:53 PM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar

Hi,

thanks to everyone who replied to my query.

as it is illegal I am not going to bother downloading

as I have no wish to be prosecuted, I will just

borrow friends d.v.d.s instead.

THANKS AGAIN

GYPSY

Like 0      
17 Dec 2009 2:23 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I read the other day that it is illegal but not a criminal offence to download copywrited material in Spain if it is just for personal use.  I am not 100% convinced this is true.  There's an article from 2006 on slashdot about it:

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/03/1337203

This message was last edited by Sanchez1 on 17/12/2009.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2009 12:20 PM by coolrunner Star rating in la marina. 91 posts Send private message

coolrunner´s avatar

if you download movies all you have to do is hide or change your ip address

Like 0      
21 Dec 2009 11:45 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

You can't 'change' or hide your IP address but you can 'mask' your IP address.

However the IP address that your ISP gives you to connect to their servers, thus allowing you to access the internet, does not change.

The only thing that changes is what 'appears' to be your IP address to anybody other than your ISP, should a hacker try to access your PC or Laptop,  as your 'real' IP address is masked.

Your actual IP address is logged by your ISP every time you connect and you can still be traced.

When you use software that 'masks' your IP, you are in effect logging into a server which then issues you with another IP address to use whilst you are logged in to that server, and thus any incoming IP packets to that server uses that IP address, however that server uses your REAL IP address to send the IP packets back to you!

So, even if you 'mask' your IP address several times in such a manner, you can still be traced, as the authorities can demand a list of IP logs from a server which show where the IP traffic is coming from and where the IP packets are being sent.

How do you think hackers and other cyber criminals are caught!

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 21/12/2009.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
21 Dec 2009 9:44 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

However the IP address that your ISP gives you to connect to their servers, thus allowing you to access the internet, does not change.

Hmm, I know where you are coming from, but not strictly true. Some ISP's still issue dynamic ip addresses which is why services like dyndns.org still exist, although with "always on" adsl these days you could probably have the sae ip address unti you re- sync. Yes, ISP's will still be able to trace who was using what address at what time.

as it is illegal I am not going to bother downloading

Not all downloading is illegal Gypsy. You can buy films from places like Amaazon, HMV, I-Tunes and you can even rent downloaded films too.

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

where to apply - 0 posts
Another question for Maria - 8 posts
Capital gains tax - allowable acquisition costs - 4 posts
Renting without declaring - 3 posts
The Charity Gazette aka CBN / The Post - 5 posts
Like the new Home Page! - 4 posts
I have heard it all now! - 7 posts
New Free to air & Freesat channel - just scan in to your satellite receiver - 0 posts
What's it called? - 4 posts
Evemarina SL credits communication ends on the 17th of December - 0 posts
A date to remember in Spain - 0 posts
Reliable and fair Car Mechanic - 6 posts
Question for Maria - 5 posts
Lawyers fees - 4 posts
HEADING TRANSPORTING PETS TO SPAIN OR SPAIN TO THE UK - 1 posts
Tax Form 210 - 7 posts
300€ Banks? No Thanks! I will mind it - 6 posts
Jacqueline Heath; Pianist. A Real Star - 0 posts
Schools in Ourense, Galicia - 0 posts
Gas for Superser - 5 posts
iGuana-grill, El Rosario, Marbella - 0 posts
2 Bed 2 Bath Apartment, Altos de la Quinta II - 0 posts
new internet virus,please read this - 3 posts
Moving to Ciudad Quesada - 7 posts
BUSINESS FOR SALE - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x