Renting without declaring

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Dec 2009 12:00 AM by andrea_p Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hi - does anyone know the consequences of renting a property (not holiday lets) without declaring the rent for tax as a non-resident landlord?

Thanks

Like 0      
16 Dec 2009 4:35 PM by steveonthepc Star rating in UK - soon to be CB.. 11 posts Send private message

Hi

The way i see it, is this. If you are a non resident and you have unearned income, you should pay the tax on it in your country of origin. If you are resident in Spain then you should pay the taxes there.

Having said that....We rent out properties for other people and i know that a lot of them do nothing and i do not know of any that have had to pay any consequencies....That's not to say that you couldn't be the first.

Cheers

Steve

Like 0      
16 Dec 2009 5:14 PM by taraleisure Star rating in Holmfirth. 294 posts Send private message

If you declare it, you are only taxed once. Spain informs the UK, albeit a year late, so they won't charge again - but they do like to know!

If you don't declare it and get found out, could cost up to10,000 plus a search going back 7 years in UK, plus a penalty in Spain..

Like 0      
16 Dec 2009 5:56 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

If you are a non-resident property owner, you should be paying renta (income tax) on presumed income anyway, unless you declare the actual income. If you are not doing this, I imagine the chances of getting caught for renting and not declaring are greatly increased.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

The Charity Gazette aka CBN / The Post - 5 posts
Like the new Home Page! - 4 posts
I have heard it all now! - 7 posts
New Free to air & Freesat channel - just scan in to your satellite receiver - 0 posts
What's it called? - 4 posts
Evemarina SL credits communication ends on the 17th of December - 0 posts
A date to remember in Spain - 0 posts
Reliable and fair Car Mechanic - 6 posts
Question for Maria - 5 posts
Lawyers fees - 4 posts
HEADING TRANSPORTING PETS TO SPAIN OR SPAIN TO THE UK - 1 posts
Tax Form 210 - 7 posts
300€ Banks? No Thanks! I will mind it - 6 posts
Jacqueline Heath; Pianist. A Real Star - 0 posts
Schools in Ourense, Galicia - 0 posts
Gas for Superser - 5 posts
iGuana-grill, El Rosario, Marbella - 0 posts
2 Bed 2 Bath Apartment, Altos de la Quinta II - 0 posts
new internet virus,please read this - 3 posts
Moving to Ciudad Quesada - 7 posts
BUSINESS FOR SALE - 0 posts
STOP SMOKING IN SPAIN - 0 posts
Spanish inheritance tax paid by UK citizens - 7 posts
What If the Unthinkable Happened? - 4 posts
What improvements would you like for EOS? - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x