I have heard it all now!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Dec 2009 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Today we stopped at the sea front Cafe Nabob in Benidorm, near the old town. The board outside said 1.50€ a pint. Two of our small party ordered a pint each. The proprietor brought two GLASSES of beer. Phil queried it, telling him we had asked for two PINTS. The guys says; 'These are our pints!'

Do you laugh or do you cry? Whatever next? No wonder the tourists have p***** off to Turkey and elsewhere. Can you blame them?

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
15 Dec 2009 11:11 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

So, Mike, did you ask for the complaints book?  Surely, if they are advertising "pints" that's what they should be serving!  Did you question the drinks at all and insist on correct measures?  You don't say.

Like 0      
15 Dec 2009 11:38 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Well, it's silly really as that's how they lose customers.  You just won't go back there.

It amazes me how short sighted some people can be in business.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
15 Dec 2009 11:43 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

To be honest we were just stunned. Chris suggested we just walk away and leave the drinks there but by that time a little had been taken, and that could have opened up a Pandora's box of problems. I suggested we give him 1€ the 6€ bill and tell him the one euro was our six euros.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
16 Dec 2009 1:32 AM by davidashbyash Star rating in gandia and morden su.... 4 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

hi there,

as a real ale lover a pint is a pint regretably in spain its the litre or half litre some undesirable types to hook the english use such measures , the best thing to do is tell all as youve done and we avoid the bar like the plague.

david

Like 0      
16 Dec 2009 1:24 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

You see I have been bitten so many times that I go around quizzing shop assistants and waiters on everything. I have become a complete bore trying to cover every possible eventuality. I was talking about it last night before I buy anything I ask what the refund policy is, how long do I have, what the sale´s assistants name is so I can say "Maria Carmen said...." As for the pint, next time ask to see one first. I am rapidly becoming the kind of comedy sketch that you would see on the Catherine Tate Show or Little Britian.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
16 Dec 2009 1:39 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Susan

not Grandma I hope?...........''what a *ucking liberty!'' 

Like 0      
16 Dec 2009 6:10 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Funny thing, almost the opposite happened to me when we first came to Tourist Central. Sat down at a bar at Ground Zero, ordered a caña, and was brought a litre bucket. Not what you want when it's 40° in the shade. When the waiter insisted what I had was a caña, I pointed to my partner's Coke in a standard tube glass and said "No, that's a caña". He said "we don't do beer in them", so we walked. Simples!

The other trick is to advertise beer at €1, but bring a bottle instead of draught beer and when the bill is €1.50 and the punter points to the sign, to say "oh, we don't have any draught today and bottles are €1.50"

Now we avoid that bar and all those around it, where Brits can be seen mid-December in their undies, stretching out and facing the sun with their eyes closed as if meditating, presumably happy to be fleeced just for the opportunity to sit in the centre of things, 100 metres from other perfectly good bars serving locals at normal prices. Same all over the world, I imagine.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

New Free to air & Freesat channel - just scan in to your satellite receiver - 0 posts
What's it called? - 4 posts
Evemarina SL credits communication ends on the 17th of December - 0 posts
A date to remember in Spain - 0 posts
Reliable and fair Car Mechanic - 6 posts
Question for Maria - 5 posts
Lawyers fees - 4 posts
HEADING TRANSPORTING PETS TO SPAIN OR SPAIN TO THE UK - 1 posts
Tax Form 210 - 7 posts
300€ Banks? No Thanks! I will mind it - 6 posts
Jacqueline Heath; Pianist. A Real Star - 0 posts
Schools in Ourense, Galicia - 0 posts
Gas for Superser - 5 posts
iGuana-grill, El Rosario, Marbella - 0 posts
2 Bed 2 Bath Apartment, Altos de la Quinta II - 0 posts
new internet virus,please read this - 3 posts
Moving to Ciudad Quesada - 7 posts
BUSINESS FOR SALE - 0 posts
STOP SMOKING IN SPAIN - 0 posts
Spanish inheritance tax paid by UK citizens - 7 posts
What If the Unthinkable Happened? - 4 posts
What improvements would you like for EOS? - 10 posts
Spanish Economic Crisis - 22 posts
Greece in Trouble : Riots and 'Bankrupt' - 8 posts
El diario de un Perro... - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x