Community

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Apr 2007 12:00 AM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar
Is there a way to buy into the spanish health service if you are under retirement age but not working. I plan to live in Almeria from 2009.

Like 0      
08 Apr 2007 6:07 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Put simply - NO.

It would theoretically be possible to set up an economic activity that makes no profit, therefore pays no income tax, whilst allowing you to be registered as "autonomo" i.e. self employed. You could then contribute to the Social Security and be entitled to health care - but autonomo SS payments are currently around €240 per month (per person) I think. Private medical insurance is much cheaper, unless of course you are on a lot of prescription medication, which is rarely covered by private plans.

There have been a lot of very informed discussions on health care in Spain on this forum, so if you haven't already, I suggest you take the time to read through the relevant threads.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
08 Apr 2007 8:35 PM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar
Many thanks for the reply. €240 a month is probably cheaper than private medicine - I was told that because I take statins for moderately high cholesterol that they would not cover me for heart disease!!

Like 0      
08 Apr 2007 8:57 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Scampi,

The cost of tablets in Spain without Healthcare is horrendous.

My Brother just had a heart attack.........about 4 weeks ago.

He was lucky he had a SIP card and had excellent care in the new hospital in Torreveija Costa Blanca - all free!

BUT, the cost per month of the tablets he need is about £65 GBP's that is WITH the discount he gets with the SIP card.

So €240 per month seems a wise option.................

Good luck,

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
08 Apr 2007 11:55 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Scampi, you're probably right to assume that any pre-existing conditions would not be covered by private medical policies. (What insurance actually covers what you most need it for?) I'm sure other members can give you an idea of the cost of private policies, which I think would be considerably less than €240 a month, but as I said, if you take regular prescription medication this would not be covered. As you know, certain medication can be very costly. The Spanish NHS heavily discounts most. 

I don't think it is possible for you to pay social security as "autonomo" unless you register some sort of economic activitiy, but you should perhaps seek more qualified advice. Also, it may depend on what region of Spain you are in. (Fibby, I told you before, unless you are in Valenciana, you will not know what the SIP card is!) We have had discussions along similar lines before here, and it does seem to vary. I seem to remember someone posting that Catalunya automatically gives free NHS to any EU citizen who becomes resident - but don't quote me!

Edit: Yep, found it! Have a read of this thread:  http://www.eyeonspain.com/Secure/ForumPosts.aspx?thread=347&dev=FB17&name=Healthcare in Spain

Also worth checking out this one: http://www.eyeonspain.com/Secure/ForumPosts.aspx?thread=178&dev=FB17&name=Healthcare

This message was last edited by Roberto on 4/9/2007.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Apr 2007 9:30 AM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar
Many thanks for the replies. I think this is gonna take some more research. But given the slow/non-existent progress on the property I've resevrved ib the Valle de Enix it looks as if it might never happen!!

Like 0      
01 May 2007 5:12 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Scampi,

I've copied in a reply that I left for Natalie on another thread about entitlement to healthcare in Spain that may be of some relevance to you?

When you move to Spain and become a fully registered resident you and your family will fall into different categories depending on whether you are working or not? I'm presuming that you will be both under 65 when you emigrate?

Let say your husband starts work as an employed person: His tax and ni contributions paid from his salary should cover him for the cost of his healthcare as it would in the UK and he would be treated like any Spanish citizen.

If you decide not to work then you should also be exempt from paying NI contributions as long has you have been making NI contibutions for 3 full years into the UK National Insurance system prior to the year you move to Spain. 

Any child under 18 in full time education or not registered for work should also qualify for free healthcare.

Approx 4 weeks before leaving the UK to live in SPAIN YOU MUST CONTACT the Overseas Division for Medical Benefits Tel: 0191 218 1999. They will check your NI records to confirm your status for receiving a E106 certificate(they will send you 2 copies) that you can hand over to the medical authorities when you arrive in Spain. The Spanish equivalent of the DSS will then be able to use this certificate to reclaim the cost of providing you with free medical treatment from the UK authorities.

Incidently, if only you or your partner has paid into the Uk NI system for the prior 3 years and neither of you are initially working in Spain then you would both qualify for free public healthcare. The DSS system in the UK allows for one partner to be DEPENDANT on the other!  BUT again you must apply for this status prior to leaving the UK.

Finally! Once you have declared that you will be resident in Spain you will no longer Qualify for Free Medical Treatment in the UK unless you are a visitor requiring Emergency treatments!! Should you move back to the Uk on a permanent basis then you have to apply to be readmitted into the UK system!

You can also call the Dept of Health on 0113 254 6334 who should advise you of what medical treatments you may receive free of charge in Spain?

Hope it was of some help?

Mike T

Mike T

Like 0      
04 May 2007 4:54 PM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Hi Miket

Just wnated to butt in on this one as you seem extremely knowledgable on this topic. We are moving to Murcia. My husband is looking to commute from the UK for the first few years and i will live in Murcia with our two children who will both be in full time education in a spanish school. Does that mean (have i understood this correctly) they are entitled to free healthcare because they are under 18 and in full time spanish eduaction? Also because my husband would be paying NI in the UK does that mean we would both be entitled to free healthcare in Spain as well with the correct forms. I was under the impression we would have to get private insurance to cover us as we wouldnt be tax payers in Spain.

I have also looked under other threads but havnt found anything to cover 'the commuter family'

Thanks Miket.

rgds Tina

This message was last edited by tinasolera on 5/4/2007.

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
04 May 2007 5:06 PM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar
p.s we have every intention of ringing the numbers you provided which my husband also has to hand with his many spanish books but sometimes its good to speak to people who explain it clearer as you have done. I have learnt so much on this site!!! Thanks everyone!

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
04 May 2007 5:11 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Yes Tina, It does take some understanding dosn't it!!

With your children being in full time education it apears quite clear. They will receive free access to any Healthcare needs although Dental Care I understand is generally private in Spain. You would need to check that one out more thoroughly?

In your own situation, if you have made contributions (Not Voluntary NIC contributions) for the 3 prior years to moving to Spain you would also qualify.? If not, then you would need to either take out Private Medical Insurance or you could "technically" become Self Employed and pay out around 240 euros a month NIC contributions to be fully covered yourself under the state system?

Does that make sense to you?

Mike T

Mike T

Like 0      
04 May 2007 5:16 PM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Hi

Yes that makes sense, i havnt paid NI consistently as ive been a full time mum. So I would look into private care. Ive already got a few quotes from Bupa etc and it was silly money considering im young and healthy so maybe if anyone can advise me on some good spanish private health companies that would be much appreciated. Im assuming my husband would be covered in the UK as normal then would get temporary forms for when hes over which will be over 7  mths of the year in total.

Thanks Mike you have been a great help!

Tina

p.s if hes paying tax in UK still does that mean if i needed care in the UK as his dependent i would still be covered even tho im a resident in Spain?

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
04 May 2007 5:29 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/19/2007.

Like 0      
04 May 2007 5:32 PM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Cheers Janice

I will have a look now!!!!

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
04 May 2007 5:35 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Tina, the Spanish branch of BUPA is Sanitas.  They have an English website

http://www.sanitas.es/websanitas/ing/index.html

I'm making enquiries for when we move over but, as we are older than you (a lot) it would be no good telling you the quote they give me.  Also, I see you are moving to Murcia.  Back in (I think) October, the local politicians were saying that they would provide the same health care for expats as is provided in Valencia province (ie free provided you have the correct paperwork from UK) "within a year".  As local elections were coming up, I'm not sure if this was just an election promise or if they were being honest.  You will also find that each area in Spain has different rules for the provision of Healthcare.  Some are free, some subsidise the costs and some charge full price.  They all, however, provide free emergency treatment. 

Like 0      
04 May 2007 5:41 PM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

HI

Yes I saw that programme about free health care for all in Murcia and must look into that and see if that has materiaised.

I had a helath insurance quote from tesco to cover me and kids in the UK (just got it out of interest) and it was JUST £18 per month. How good is that. Bupa quoted the kids and I over £200 per month for Spain and we have no previous illness (touch wood quickly) and non-smoker. 

I need to get Ja to ring up and make enquiries about the Murcia region. Its in mind to do but was originally leaving it till a month before we leave!!

Thanks

Tina

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
04 May 2007 5:42 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Well Tina, You keep coming up with some interesting questions!

If you inform the UK authorities that you are moving to Spain and register as an official resident then I would presume that you would no longer qualify for normal UK Healthcare? However, If you still have a UK residence in your husbands name you could just remain registered with your local health authority? Effectively, you would have a foot in both camps particularly with your children clearly being registered in the Spanish system. Perhaps not strictly correct but we are all EU residents now arn't we?

Mike T

Like 0      
04 May 2007 5:50 PM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Hi,

Well we decided my husband would commute for a year or so as he works a shift pattern where he could spend a fair amount of time with us in Spain but still bring home a good UK wage. Also we want to be sure its 100% going to work out before jacking in a job that has been a lot of hard work to get if you know what i mean. So its just the confusion of where we all stand health wise, tax wise etc etc I saw under another thread that a few people are opting to commute with flights being so cheap. When i find out what the score is for people commuting i will post!!

Thanks for everyones help much appreciated.

Tina

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
04 May 2007 6:14 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Tina, you mentioned earlier (I think) that Hubby would be spending 7 months of the year in Spain with you. Technically therefore he would be considered resident in Spain, NOT UK for tax purposes (183 day rule). I don't know about this, but maybe he should be looking into getting paid gross i.e. no tax deducted in UK, and then declaring his income & paying tax (& Social Sec.) here? Sorry to throw another spanner in, so to speak

With regards to paying the €240 autonomo (self-employed) monthly social sec. payment, I believe you must have some kind of registered economic activity in order to do so. In other words, if you do not register a business and do a tax declaration annually, you cannot pay SS as a self employed person.

On a positive note, I think you will find private health care will probably be cheaper than that anyway - but remember, it won't pay for prescription medication, which can be costly.

Again, sorry if this confuses matters further, but I hope it helps.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 May 2007 6:24 PM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Hi

Ive just read that post out to Hubby and his eyebrows raised and almost left his forehead. What would the tax in Spain be? I am so glad we've started on this now and not left it too late!!

Thanks

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
04 May 2007 7:26 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
I just posted a reply to your other post re: tax rates, in another thread. I hope I'm not unwittingly complicating things for you or scaring you! Please don't take my replies as those of any kind of qualified expert - I'm not. Will send you a PM with a couple of the sources of info I found (in case they're contrary to posting rules here)

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

This development seems to be behind schedule - 0 posts
land disputes - 1 posts
Moving away and have stuff to sell including Car, washing machine etc. - 1 posts
This may sound like a strange question ....................... - 9 posts
HOLIDAY DATES FOR 2007 FOR SPAIN - 1 posts
Valle de Enix development in Almeria [ built by Grupo location] - 0 posts
Valle de Enix development in Almeria [ built by Grupo location] - 2 posts
Rules for use of communal garden areas - 10 posts
Costa Almeria - Vera - 1 posts
it's not always doom & gloom - 12 posts
Site Progress - 0 posts
Costa Calida Property Management - 5 posts
More changes.... - 5 posts
Advice please-Divorce and my rights? - 3 posts
Photos - 13 posts
HOTEL RECOMMENDATION - 3 posts
Dentist In Catral - 4 posts
anyone buying on las palomas nr valencia? - 1 posts
BUYING FOR BLACK - I WANT A SPECIAL THREAD PLEASE - 23 posts
stating up a business in Spain - 11 posts
New Cartagena to Vera Motorway. AP-7. - 4 posts
How much tax on resales? - 11 posts
buying in Alboaire Golf - 15 posts
Justin, can you point these new people in right direction please ? - 1 posts
Where to buy equipment for disabled in Torrevieja area? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 99

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x