smoking banned inside at end of the year!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Nov 2009 10:48 AM by rob6578 Star rating. 103 posts Send private message

justin: You mention how few non smoking bars there are, well, on the Costa Blanca there are plenty.

Bar owners have to make economic decisions, & they know how much business they will lose if they ban ALL smoking. Ireland is a case in point, the smoking ban has decimated the rural pub trade as it has in the UK.

We live in a democracy, both in Spain & in the Uk, & smoking is legal, & I have the right to enjoy smoking, which is why there are non smoking & smoking bars in Spain. Unlike the UK with a blanket ban, something the labor party in their last manifesto said thery wouldn't bring in!

Yes, you also have the right to be in a smoke free area. There is a choice & that is the way it should be.

If non smoking bars are viable you will find them. If not, what will happen in Spain is what is happening in the Uk & Ireland, people like me will not go to pubs, we will buy our drinks from an off license & we will drink at home, & that is why pubs close!

Smoking will remain legal because no government, & no UK government can afford to lose the tax revenue. 

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 11:10 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

If those statistics are to be believed then lets hope that the chancellor steps up the tax on cigarettes significantly then in every budget to ensure that our health service is propped up by the evil weed, until such time as they no longer depend on these monies and find more morally acceptable sources of alternative income. Hopefully the sooner the better. Seriously though it does appear to be a self perpetuating problem that needs resolving, especially as this generation of smokers reach an age where the related symptoms start to escalate and become an even greater burden on the health service.

I agree that there should be a more effective way of reaching the youngsters. Perhaps some of these youngsters themselves, those who have been directly affected by this  (through the death or disibility of a loved one perhaps) might better explain the realities through their own adversity and courage. Reality rules there unfortunately.

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 11:34 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

rob 6578

you are sadly probably right about the tax revenue

floella

with all due respect, you are making the argument of an addict in denial.  Of course cars pollute, maim, kill etc, like many other pollutants, and dangerous activity, but surely we have to face up to what we can do, not what we would like to do in an ideal world? Why not face the facts?, smoking is ruining your health as it is all smokers and worse still you stand the chance of killing others, and all because you chose to smoke!   All the other pollutants across the world are subjects of much debate, and of course they are wrong, but they are part of our every day needs, like them or not, but smoking is not a need unless you make that choice?

ads

yes, I think education is the only way apart from higher tax. Addiction is a terrible thing, and robs people of logic and common sense when making the right choice.

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 12:31 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

An addict, yes goodstich. In denial,no. 

To me it is the relaxent that others find in alcohol , Neither are healthy habits and both a drain on the health service but whilst they are legal people should only advise not tell others how to live their lives. 

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 12:44 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

This prompts another debate about why we need relaxants in the first place and maybe pressured lifestyles are the route cause of all of this...... better not go there however as we would need to change the Western World.

Think we've all lost the plot somewhere along the way!!

p.s. Floella is this an addiction you would like to kick or are you happy with your lot?

This message was last edited by ads on 18/11/2009.

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 1:03 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

ads

I think by definition, an addict is in denial and will often justify their actions by whatever means. Comparison of  the damage alchohol in moderation to smoking causes is an often used and good example.  The opposite is true. Small amounts of wine/beer can actually have health benefits.

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 1:14 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Of course ads, but admit more from the financial aspect, but am concerned that like most people with an addictive personality I shall just swap one addiction for another.

To old now to expend my energies into more physical pursuits and personally think that  imbibing in alcohol especially when driving is necessary ( even in small quantities that is supposedly good for ones health  ),  is potentially the more dangerous with regards to others.

Goodstich, you are correct.  Addicts are always in denial. However addiction comes in many guises and most people are addicted to something. I have confessed to mine so perhaps another thread where people can address theirs might be appropriate

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 1:21 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

i thought the post was originally about whether Spain will ban smoking inside?

Not, as it always turns into whether is it good for you or not........

I am trying not to post as this tired subject just goes around and around....

If people chooose to smoke they know the risks,if they want to go to somewhere where other smokers enjoy a drink then why not,they know the risks.

If there are plenty of bars where non smokers can go and talk about how filthy a habit it is then fair play,there are plenty of non smoking bars in this area.

I smoke,i know the risks,i never smoke in close proximity to my children or anyones,i generally smoke outside the bar,i don't smoke in the house nor in restaraunts etc etc.......

Yes  I am an addict but whats it got to do with anyone else....it hasn't!...when i want to quit i will...in fact i will quit the minute certain members stop posting drivel...

So if you don't smoke,well done,now find something meaningful to moan about,i Keep my habit to myself,please keep your opinions about me to yours.

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 1:24 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

I admire your honesty Floella but please can I suggest that you channel some of your remaining energy into encouraging youngsters not to follow in your footsteps! All too often your example is being mimicked by youngsters who feel it's cool to indulge. If only they knew that it's not cool to be susceptible to horrendous medical conditions that can disable and kill.

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 1:31 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

ads, I think you are being unfair towards floella now.  If you want to have a go at someone you should really target it at the manufacturers.  That's where it all starts.

Anyway, I agree with georgia, this thread has totally gone off course and there is no point debating the rights and wrongs of smoking, it's to discuss the new law in Spain.

Let's try and get it back on track or not post any more on the subject.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 1:35 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Apologies to Floella then as that was definitely not my intention.

It just touched a raw nerve with me having witnessed the devastating effects of smoking firsthand.

Sorry Floella (and Justin).

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 1:54 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Justin

well I guess we should be glad it's a move in the right direction. Like animal cruelty in Spain, now that bull fighting has been banned in some cities, it sends out a message that it's wrong, however traditional to inflict cruelty to animals for pleasure???

I'm sure many will ignore the smoking ban for some of the reasons from smokers on this thread, but if it stops a few lives being ruined, and many more people suffering the health /smell/cost problems then it will be well worth it.

Good for Spain I say.  Let's hope common sense catches on in the other area's we know about!!

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 3:58 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

ads, kind of you to apologise ,but although I am neither wrinkly with grey skin and yellow teeth and fingers, perhaps smoking has made my skin like rhino horn because I didn't take the comment personally. Actually agree but then children mimic other potentially unhealthy behaviour as well.  Would never  personally encourage anyone to smoke and do refer to it as a horrid habit ,wish I had never started, but sorry peeps giving up is not an option for now because it is something I enjoy . 

So my final post on this subject.  As someone who would never smoke indoors anyway I don't see why Spain should have any major problems apart from the fact that the Spanish seem to believe rules are there to be ignored !! 

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 5:03 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

I think the Spanish believing that rules are there to be ignored has long been an appeal of Spain, with many feeling the UK is strangled by rules and 'big' brother' or 'nanny state'  regulation. I  felt that for years, and I think it's only when you either live there or experience a few years of the legal/justice system, you realise there's quite a price to pay for that attitude that it is sooooo frustrating when you need the rules to be adhered to in a reasonable time frame.

Can't have it all ways, but things are changing in Spain, and the fact people are starting to care about health (human and animal) as well as other often reported issues is a positive move I feel, but will no doubt be at the cost of some of the old 'don't give a stuff ' attitude, which is great !........, but only when it works for you!!

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 12:01 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Came across this today; it seemed so apt I couldn't help sharing it:

Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant like having a peeing section in a swimming pool?

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 9:40 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

mike_walsh

oh I love that!, really funny but sadly pretty true as well. It just doesn't  work does it.  The smokers section really  needs to be airtight with a message on the outside saying something like 'non smokers please don't enter, this will ruin your health, danger of death!'

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 9:48 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

ha-ha or is it jejeje  ?  Yes, that little question said more than a million words on the matter. I rest my case, my lord!

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 11:46 AM by vilprano Star rating. 56 posts Send private message

This directive is directed at the general public but as usual posts are directed at individuals and in many cases cause offence, intended or not.

This causes members stress who then may have to resort to having a fag to calm down.

Be critical of smoking in public but not of individuals who smoke.

Vote with you feet instead of your mouth if places are smokey go elsewhere or even stay at home and think of other subjects to whinge about. 

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 2:04 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

vilprano

are you sure you're not a closet pool pee'er?

Like 0      
20 Nov 2009 2:38 PM by vilprano Star rating. 56 posts Send private message

Goodstitch,

Definately not I was brought up with the definition of a gentleman is someone that gets out of the bath to have a pee.

have to stitch up someone else with that.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

How do you remove old posts from community forums? - 4 posts
Satellite receiver from Aldi - 2 posts
Rental Advice Please - 5 posts
Spanish property pessimist gets a surprise - 4 posts
What's puerto banus llike? - 3 posts
Brits rip off Brits - 5 posts
Community wi- fi - 0 posts
How difficult is it to respect a customer's privacy? - 0 posts
La Tercia Real Deposit Refund - Don't Give In! - 8 posts
Marks & Spencer - 12 posts
What has happened to my profile? - 0 posts
Telefonica nightmare - 9 posts
Driving to Spain for Xmas - 4 posts
Gardens of Manilva - 1 posts
Switching to interest only mortgage - 3 posts
Thanks, Justin! (for Chickens) - 4 posts
WiFi hotspots - 12 posts
15 years for a claim - 0 posts
Bankers Guarantee with Polaris World. - 22 posts
Calling an EGM - 4 posts
Keeping order on a Community - 6 posts
ID cards for non-Spaniards? - 5 posts
Personal Trainer - 2 posts
Techo Sobrante - 5 posts
CAR FOR SALE: Renault Megane Diesel. Automatic. - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 62

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x