Rental Advice Please

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Nov 2009 12:00 AM by confuseddotdad Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hello,

I'm hoping that some of you kind experienced Spanish property owners might be able to give me some advice.

My parents have lived in Spain for around 10 years & are now back in the UK due to health issues. They don't want to try selling their property in the current market and are instead considering renting it out, but they have a few worries that they need re-assuring over.

The main thing is that they see this as their home, not as an investment or rental property, and so they feel a little uncomfortable about who might stay in their home - their main worry is who might rent it from them - they are terrified that it might be rented by a group of lads who are there to get drunk & party and they might wreck the place.

They want to understand who typically go on holidays and rent out properties rather than going on say package deals, for example, is it mainly families, golfers, older couples, etc, oe do groups of younger people rent them too?

Also, why do people typically rent properties abroad - is it for family type holidays, or weddings, golf/sport, etc.

Finally, have any of you had any problem renters or do things usually go fine without any problems?

If any of you would be kind enough to share your experiences then it would be a great help to my parents in helping them feel easier about what to do.

Many thanks in advance,

Dave

Like 0      
12 Nov 2009 12:14 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I always advise people to hire an Insurance for unpaid rents and submitt the matter to arbitration rather than to Courts. Failed rental stories are always a nightmare and this greatly protects owners when renting.

Good luck!

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
12 Nov 2009 12:31 PM by verona Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

It all depends where the property is and what type of people that particular area attracts.  If it attracts a young crowd because there's a wild nightlife then I would say it will attract young groups, but if it's an area frequented by more mature folk and families then this is what you will get. It would also depend on what sort of price you want to charge. Are you wanting to have long lets or short term lets?

When taking bookings you need to ask the right questions, get a breakages deposit and as much information of where they live, contact numbers ect..

Touch wood, we have never had any problems. We get couples with young children, couples on their own and retired folk. I think with the credit crunch, booking properties direct with the owners is becoming ever more popular. People go, enjoy it and want to do it again. Because for a group of four, not including flights, it can work out at less than £100 each per week.

I would never let to a group of lad's or girl's though.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2009 4:00 PM by AstroJill Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Well... I suppose I should be starting a new thread, but as my question is related I thought I might kill two birds with one stone.

First in answer to your question, sort of.  I can fully understand your Dad's worries - any one of us surely would feel the same about their own place.  We've always respected the places we've stayed in but I wonder whether everyone else does?

Sorry - that wasn't much of an answer, was it?

As a family (two groan-ups and one teen lad) we have eased away from the traditional package hols, mainly since we were left pretty much to our own devices by the hol rep one year, and we have rented from a big(ish) co, paying for our own flights and transfers.  We're not sure if this is saving us any money but we do enjoy the independance - we like to go by ferry in part, stopping off on the way there. Lovely.

So, my own question is - next year we plan to branch out even further, and rent from a private individual.  We find this idea a bit daunting, though - what if the property is awful?  What if there is no-one there - no key, etc... how would we pay?  We usually pay on my card - I don't usually have that much available up front (I'm workin' on it!).

We'd love to stay somewhere for about a month, but we're tied to college hol's.

Any tips or advice would be gratefully rec'd - now I suppose we'll be inundated with offers...  :-)  That's OK.

Jill (Astrologer extraordinaire - she says)

Like 0      
12 Nov 2009 4:59 PM by verona Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Like most things in life, it's about trust. You, the tenant has to trust the landlord, and vise versa. I would say stick to well known sites that monitor customer feed back. If a person renting a property has had loads of complaints, they will get removed. Ask if you can speak with someone that has stayed there before if you are not sure.

What usually happens is that you will book and send a sercuring deposit, then pay the final balance about 10 weeks before you arrive. Keys can be sent to you by recorded delivery or someone will meet you with the keys. Some landlords can take payment by credit card, just depends.

Some sites to look at are holidaylettings and holiday rentals.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2009 6:16 PM by confuseddotdad Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks for your help so far guys,

I get the impression that its mostly families that rent properties?

I think my parents worries come from some friends of theirs who had a caravan at one of those holiday camps & it got absolutely trashed - doors broken, cupboard doors hanging off, seating ripped, fittings broken off, etc - plus the odd bit of petty theft of really stupid stuff.

Then there was the stuff they left behind....

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish property pessimist gets a surprise - 4 posts
What's puerto banus llike? - 3 posts
Brits rip off Brits - 5 posts
Community wi- fi - 0 posts
How difficult is it to respect a customer's privacy? - 0 posts
La Tercia Real Deposit Refund - Don't Give In! - 8 posts
Marks & Spencer - 12 posts
What has happened to my profile? - 0 posts
Telefonica nightmare - 9 posts
Driving to Spain for Xmas - 4 posts
Gardens of Manilva - 1 posts
Switching to interest only mortgage - 3 posts
Thanks, Justin! (for Chickens) - 4 posts
WiFi hotspots - 12 posts
15 years for a claim - 0 posts
Bankers Guarantee with Polaris World. - 22 posts
Calling an EGM - 4 posts
Keeping order on a Community - 6 posts
ID cards for non-Spaniards? - 5 posts
Personal Trainer - 2 posts
Techo Sobrante - 5 posts
CAR FOR SALE: Renault Megane Diesel. Automatic. - 2 posts
Why ?? ?? - 40 posts
Do you have to pay inheritance tax if it is your primary residence??? - 2 posts
Change of address - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x