Spain court jurisdiction

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Sep 2009 12:00 AM by krandv Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I am sorry if I post this message to the wrong thread, I'll appreciate any link which is more applicable. I do not know Spanish language, so it is hard for me to find more appropriate and native Spanish lawyer forum.

I represent a Russia-based company. We provide services for a Spain-based company, some time ago the Spanish company stopped paying to us, we warned them that we will claim our debt in a court. After that they started pressing us and threaten to put a counter claim into a court. I do want to know which court do they have a right to put the claim to according to Spanish laws? The contract between us have a provision "This Agreement and the obligations of the parties hereunder shall be interpreted, construed and enforced be governed and construed by the laws of the state of Russian Federation". Will it be enough for a Spanish court to refuse the claim, so they will be required to send the claim to Russia?

Like 0      
09 Sep 2009 12:03 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

What type of services you provide?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
09 Sep 2009 12:25 PM by krandv Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

We provide services of software development. According to Russian laws the claim has to be put into the Russian court, because the services were provided on the territory of Russia. But I do not know the Spanish laws, they may have other statements.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2009 12:49 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

The Spanish jurisdiction may be applicable if you offer your services through  the online system and sepcifically to the spanish matket and you contacted the consumer by email.

Provided the company can be considered a consumer : mainly if his area of expertise is out of the software realm.

Hope this helps!

Maria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
09 Sep 2009 1:05 PM by krandv Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Maria, thank you for your replies.

We acted as a sub-contractor, e.g. the Spanish company is also a software development company, they develop custom software products and sell their own software products. They outsourced most of the work on some projects to us. So I believe they cannot be considered as consumers.

Regarding the other signs in your post: yes, we contacted with them by e-mail and delivered all results of our work through Internet: sometimes they downloaded it from our servers (hosted in Russia), sometimes we uploaded it to their servers (hosted in Germany)

So, according to your post, the Spanish jurisdiction is not applicable in my case, is it?

--

Roman

Like 0      
09 Sep 2009 2:41 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I would say it is not.

Maria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

by train from the ferry terminal at Denia to Totana - 3 posts
ENDESA PHONE NUMBER NEEDED PLEASE FOR ENGLISH SPEAKING STAFF - 19 posts
Changing avatar etc - 15 posts
Wanted - Folding BIke - 5 posts
Car share from Manilva to La Line/Gibraltar - 0 posts
Legalising my existing swimming pool - 4 posts
For Sale Toyota Rav 4 2005 - 1 posts
Any thoughts on La Marina Urbanisation near Santa Pola Costa Blanca? - 29 posts
Spanish-English interchange - 0 posts
Consumer wins against unfair penalty clause - 0 posts
Gas Cost for AC Unit - 5 posts
BABY PRAM, PUSH CHAIR AND BABY SEAT FOR SALE - 0 posts
Should I pay the bank´s property valuation? - 2 posts
Reduced fees for Mortgage operations - 0 posts
Laptop In Case - 4 posts
Wanted Fridge/Freezer - 2 posts
To Pay or not to pay - 2 posts
Argus Car Hire - 9 posts
visa eletron - 1 posts
spains appeal gone - 45 posts
FS - SOLAR HEATING panel - Vacuum tube type brand new. - 1 posts
Aircraft fleet average age. - 10 posts
Mark Wilman and Nick Hodgert - Villapac - 6 posts
Easyjet Sale up to 25% off offers ends 8th Sept 2009 - 9 posts
Nearest Tax Office for Modelo 030 and 210 - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x