Consequence of lack of business Insurance

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Aug 2009 12:00 AM by carter99 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I opened a bar in Spain a few weeks ago, I used the services of an historia for the procurement of the bar, applying for my NIE and arranging my business insurance.   I opened the business before the insurance came through, i.e. opened on a  Friday.  On the Sunday evening I had a visit from the local Police, and as I did not have the insurance to hand was told I will be reported for not having an insurance.  The insurance came through on the Monday morning, but it with Monday’s date.   A few days ago, I received a summons from the court for lack of  business insurance.   Today my historia, has just advised me that not having a business insurance is a criminal offence punishable by fines from 50,000 Eur to 300,000 Eurs, and 6 months in prison.  On top of this I must pay 50,000 Eur to the court within the next 48 hours otherwise I will be arrested by the police.    With hindsight , I should have waited until the insurance came through on he Monday to open the bar, but I never thought It will come to this. 

Like 0      
19 Aug 2009 10:09 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I cannot see where in the Criminal Code says the acts you describe can be considered a crime.

Had you already applied for the Insurance when the Police came? If so, you can argue you had actually complied with the obligation.

Have you looked for a good criminalist lawyer in your area?

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 19/08/2009.

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 19/08/2009.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
19 Aug 2009 11:22 PM by carter99 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks for the feedback.  I am looking into finding a good criminal lawyer, to take on the case.  It seems the Asesor will not be up tp handling this case. In answer to your question, I had ask the Asesor to apply for the insurance before I open, but I am not sure if he applied for it before the issue date which is the date following the police visit.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Long term rental - 0 posts
Buying Currency for US holiday - 3 posts
Bahia de Casares - 2 posts
Communal pool - 11 posts
Items for sale due to move to UK - 14 posts
Opening a bank account - 8 posts
Marbella uk key management services. - 0 posts
Pay as you go Broadband - 39 posts
Multi lingual forum - 11 posts
New property management service we hold the key - 0 posts
Rental with a view to purchase - 0 posts
Registering with Health Authority - Form E106 - 8 posts
Ryanair pulling out of Manchester. - 18 posts
Social Security - Embargo of assets - 1 posts
Community fee - 10 posts
Check out this thread - 0 posts
manzanares lawyers - 0 posts
Wanted 80 to 100 sq meters as storage in Fuengiola, Las Lagunas, La Cala area - 0 posts
andalucian dream homes - 3 posts
Spanish assets - 26 posts
Qualification required to use public transport in the UK... - 4 posts
Car Hire again - fully comp insurance? - 25 posts
Uk Shopping In Spain - Consumer Advisor - 0 posts
On-line shopping - 0 posts
Does anyone in Condado provide a pick-up/drop-off @ San Javier? - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x