Fire reaching Mojacar

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Jul 2009 12:00 AM by dealse Star rating in Welwyn Hertfordshire.... 64 posts Send private message

dealse´s avatar

We watched the start of the fire in the mountains by Turre yesterday afternoon and within 3 hours it had spread to Mojacar. The Parata was being evacuated as were the Best Mojacar hotel. The traffic leaving Mojacar was very bad and took 90 mins to drive as far as Garrucha.

Our water supply has now been cut, I guess as a result of trying to fight the fire.

Does anyone have any news

Like 0      
24 Jul 2009 9:57 AM by twinscott Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi. We found out that friends of ours have been evacuated from appartments near the front last night. We have an appartment up in the village in Victoria buildings. Do you know if the fire is in the village?

Many thanks

Pam

Like 0      
24 Jul 2009 10:23 AM by Jeanie60 Star rating. 103 posts Send private message

Its on sky tv, 1500 people evacuated,  A national

alert has been issued.

Jeanie.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2009 11:50 AM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

According to the Spanish press the following urbanisations in Mojacar have been evacuated:

La Parata, El Flamingo, El Pueblo Indato, Vista Los Angeles, Cañada Aguilar y El Palmeral

Joan

Like 0      
24 Jul 2009 1:05 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Read here in Daily Mail I hope Janeb on here is ok, they have a property in the forest area nearest village is Bedar.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 24/07/2009.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2009 1:33 PM by gillyrd Star rating in Turre and llandrindo.... 5 posts Send private message

We have a park home at Oasis park outside Turre. Does any one know if the fire is anywhere near there

Like 0      
24 Jul 2009 1:43 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

According to the newspaper el pais the most agressive focal point of the fire was in Turre but has now been controlled.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2009 2:02 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Turre photos here  

MANY more photographs of fire here.

Hope your park home's ok, Gillyrd

This message was last edited by morerosado on 24/07/2009.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2009 2:09 PM by gillyrd Star rating in Turre and llandrindo.... 5 posts Send private message

Thanks morerosado. Photos look frightening.  Only came back two weeks ago. Have to get back to Spain soon to check on things.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2009 2:33 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Gilly, are you in touch with other people who are resident where your park home is ? I guess not.

I well understand you need to know your place is safe.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2009 3:13 PM by gillyrd Star rating in Turre and llandrindo.... 5 posts Send private message

I have sent an email to someone living on the site, but as yet have not had a reply.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2009 4:14 PM by gillyrd Star rating in Turre and llandrindo.... 5 posts Send private message

Just had reply from my email. It is not close enough to cause danger to my home. Lets just hope the get it under control and put out before too many more people are hurt or left homeless.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2009 4:34 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Just spoken to our keyholders, the fire is at Garrucha now, up to the Go Kart track apparently. Spectrum Mojacar on Facebook is covering this and there are shed loads of photos, they are also broadcasting on www.spectrumfmmojacar.net

Mark

Like 0      
24 Jul 2009 8:05 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Reports have just been shown on BBC 6pm News, showing Mojacar but also saying that the winds have dropped & things are much more under control. The Sirrocco winds at 80kph yesterday together with temperatures reaching 47 degrees made it a nightmare situation for the firefighters to deal with. It was only through the change of direction of the wind last night that the Playa  & Pueblo were saved.

I had a number of phone calls last night from my keyholder, giving me updates on the situation, which sounded absolutely terrifying for the poor people evacuated down on to Mojacar Playa. The only available road away from the Playa was gridlocked & around 11pm Police brought in about 15 coaches & buses to move people to the sports hall in Vera & other safe locations.

According to other websites, there has been minimal loss of property & no reports of casualties. Owners & holidaymakers were allowed back into apartments from as early as 4.30 this morning. Initial reports were that the Pueblo had been badly affected but then later reports suggested that the damage was not as bad as first thought.

Mark, in one of the phone calls last night, I was told that there were fires along the road to Turre from the Los Gallardos to Vera Playa Road (just along from the Go Karting, opposite the Petrol Station.)

Currently there are still some fires breaking out on the hills behind the Beachcomber but these are being swiftly brought under control. 

That is as much as I know at present.

Latest report via The Reader http://thereader.es/en/component/content/article/48-news-analysis/219-mojacar-fires-under-control.html with a selection of photographs via the link at the bottom of the page.

Noreen

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 24/07/2009.

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 24/07/2009.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
25 Jul 2009 5:37 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

S poke to Jane today More. The new place and Las Tortugas are far enough away from the fire for it not to be a problem. However, with the wireless Iberbanda internet, the masts have been shut down/ damaged so her access is limited at the moment. Plenty of running around for her to do as a lot of the owners she get rentals for are in a bit of a panic.

Hopefully when it calms down a bit, Jane may poke her head in again.

Mark

Like 0      
28 Jul 2009 3:17 PM by emmah8372 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

i am in mojacar right now i am not near the fire atm but it is very near !!!!! its horrible ashes everywhere and smoke we are supposed to be getting evacuated later today just thought id tell ye the nws !!! hope ill be ok !! :( its starting to calm down so !!! :) bye love emma !!x

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

reactivating sky tv - 4 posts
Buying repossessed property property in Costa Blanca and payment of deposit. Advice? - 9 posts
M&S Marbella again - 0 posts
One to one spanish tuition - appreciate any views on this - 7 posts
New Rail Link - 1 posts
House tax - 2 posts
Empty van travelling from uk to spain - 6 posts
For Sale LHD BMW 325i SE Touring - 6 posts
Aifos have declared Concurso de Acreedores (Insolvency) - 1 posts
Taxi`s from Murcia airport - 4 posts
Room A/C Unit Wanted Near Malaga or Olvera - 2 posts
Private Message - 2 posts
Hola ... El Gusto Es Mio - 10 posts
Olvera, Anyone? - 7 posts
damaged casued by leaks from above apartment - 3 posts
Problem -Selling a share of my property - 3 posts
Mortgage Advice Needed Please - 3 posts
Tim Davey - 7 posts
Recommendation for a Pool Surround - 5 posts
Picking up a cruise ship in Malaga - 1 posts
How to get involved in property management? - 0 posts
Health Care in Spain - 1 posts
Is 3.4% reasonable for a mortgage these days ? - 9 posts
Outlook Express HELP!! - 5 posts
BMIBaby have cancelled flights - 16 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x