damaged casued by leaks from above apartment

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Jul 2009 00:00 by beeraines1 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Dear friends,

For two years I have had a leak in my ceiling the lounge and kitchen, caused by leaking drains/terraces  owned by a someone who deals through  various solicitors and agencies (I suspect its the builder interlaken) I have asked them repeatedly to fix them and have had reports undertaken..my insurance company has paid for internal repairs twice but say the leaks are the responsibility of the owners of the apartment above how long do I have to wait before I can take legal or other action.


Like 0      
23 Jul 2009 09:40 by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9001 posts Send private message

Legal Questions? Speak to Maria Direct

As soon as a new damage is incurred in your property and them/ their insurance do not respond accordingly. Keep former surveys and invoices of reparations ( if any have been paid by you).

Best regards,



Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA


Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
02 Aug 2009 21:08 by Abolex Star rating in Andalucia - Murcia -.... 136 posts Send private message

Abolex´s avatar

Dear Barbara

I would recommend you inform the Administrator of the building as leaks from communal installations (drains, water pipes, etc normally are communal) may be the responsibility of the Community nad not the owner.

In any case, take pictures and keep all related paperwork as it may be useful if you have to take this any further.


Martin de La Herran Sabick Abogado / Lawyer (reg. 851 Jerez) www.abolex.es

Like 0      
03 Aug 2009 09:29 by spanishsolicitor Star rating in Murcia. 140 posts Send private message

spanishsolicitor´s avatar


Hi Barbara
Firstly you should find the source of the damp seeking the help of a professional (independent surveyor). He or she may establish the cause and the type and cost of treatment that may be required to combat the damp. As was held by the Madrid Court of Appeal in its ruling of 14 Nov 2008 if you are thinking of taking someone to court you must get firstly an accurate diagnosis of the problem (in writing).
If the problem is caused by damp in common parts such as pipes, pillars, girders, forged supporting walls section 10 (1) of the Horizontal Property Act 49/1960 is applied
´The community is obliged to carry out works necessary for the proper upkeep and maintenance of the building and its facilities to ensure appropriate structural conditions, imperviousness, habitation and safety`.
It is clear that the Act provides for the performance by the community of a particular duty of maintenance therefore every owner injured by failure to perform that obligation is entitled to compensation.
Thus, where the source of the damp is not located within a unit, the community must carry out the necessary repair works and could be liable under negligence. This is a very usual case dealt in Spanish courts namely, rulings of the Court of Appeal in Madrid 14-01-2009, 11-06-2007 or CA in Alicante 25-09-2006 among others.
Whether the community is liable or not in the case of damp caused by building defects on common parts is not clear. In favour the ruling of CA Madrid 16-04-2008, against the CA ruling in Madrid 20-6-2005
If there is no common part involved it shall be a case between you and the owner of the above apartment (in this case the commonhold is discharged because there are no common parts involved.), then section 9 (1) (a) shall be applied
9 (1) The duties of each owner include:
(a)   to respect the general installations of the commonhold and any other common parts: whether for general or exclusively use by all or any of the co-owners; whether included in their flats or premises or not
Ruling of CA    in Madrid, 27 June 2006 dealt with a similar case of yours ruling in favour of the lower apartment
If I were the lawyer of your neighbour I will hold that the damp is caused by a building defect thus my client is not accountable. I will try to move the liability to the architect or to the building firm


Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Problem -Selling a share of my property - 3 posts
Mortgage Advice Needed Please - 3 posts
Tim Davey - 7 posts
Recommendation for a Pool Surround - 5 posts
Picking up a cruise ship in Malaga - 1 posts
How to get involved in property management? - 0 posts
Health Care in Spain - 1 posts
Is 3.4% reasonable for a mortgage these days ? - 9 posts
Outlook Express HELP!! - 5 posts
BMIBaby have cancelled flights - 16 posts
Dacion en Pago Query!! - 6 posts
Dacion en Pago Query - 2 posts
Calling Gibraltar from a Spanish mobile - 2 posts
Legal help sought - Car access to own property - legal right in Spain? - 4 posts
Interesting read - 3 posts
car hire malaga - 2 posts
any up to date photos ?? - 16 posts
Looking to rent a 3 bed flat in Gibraltar - 0 posts
Licence of first occupation - 3 posts
Furniture - 0 posts
ESTELLENCS - 1 posts
Hi - 3 posts
Cost of tolls through France. - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x