Driving in Flip Flops

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Jul 2009 7:12 PM by shropshall Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

I find it amazing when I read about you being stopped once or twice a week! We have a holiday home in Murcia which we love and we have so far never been stopped.

I have been driving for 40 years in the West Midlands and have never been stopped on a roadside check!

Call me a Cynic but do you get a receipt after being fined? Are the Police on some sort of commision for every fine imposed?

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 9:54 AM by canon999 Star rating in Paraiso El Alto. 7 posts Send private message

canon999´s avatar

Hi shropshall,

The very point of my previous point was that you CAN drive around the UK for 40 years,and if you are a law abiding citizen you will NOT get stopped, nor come across any 'road blocks'. Here in Spain they stop you indiscriminately, for no apparent reason other than to find some reason to 'fine you'.

Justin in a post below (in one of his more serious moments), commented that he found their actions both "unecessary" and "intimidating". Often there will be one or two officers standing in the middle on the road with arms folded pointing at drivers to pull over for no apparent reason. What their criteria for stopping you at that time, may well vary depending on time of day and location.Police along the Costa del Sol are very active in this regard, and it strikes me as being very strange that this area has the highest density of expats and tourists than anywhere else in Spain, which can be 'rich pickings' for them.

As for 'fines', it is true what 'alarmred' said in his post below, about handing cash over to officers as 'fines' without receiving a ticket, receipt or other paperwork.This has not happened to me personally, but I do know of many people personally that has experienced this sort of behaviour. The authorities are well aware this sort of thing goes on and to be fair to them, they do occasionally do something about it. Only a few months ago, two local police officers in Marbella were arrested as a result of a 'sting' operation, where 'decoys' were used to incur 'on the spot fines' without receipts or paperwork.

To be honest, I don't want to enter into a crusade against the police, either here or in the UK as they both have a diffficult job to do. If they treat expats any different from local Spanish people, in some respects who can blame them, when you see the way some British 'holidaymakers' behave here. They even made a 'fly on the wall' documentary a couple of years ago, where TV cameras followed local police, going about their business in Fuengirola, Benalmadena, Torremolinos, and Puerto Banus. We all witnessed the very worst excesses of British youth that had been transplanted from many UK cities to these shores.

I just feel that given the extraordinary financial circumstances we all find ourselves in, both in Spain and the UK, where tourist figures are down, property prices have plumetted,small business and many restaurants are closing, that the actions of the police doesn't exactly encourage people to go out and enjoy themselves. In some respects, coupled with a Spanish attitude of putting prices up when visitor levels fall, it has the effect of driving people away from Spain, instead of encouraging people to come and enjoy the very best of what Spain DOES have to offer.

Best wishes

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 3:15 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Bobaol, I would be interested to see specific links to the information you cite; I did as you suggested and (briefly) Googled both flip flop and barefoot driving. For flip flops all the most recent results are talking specifically about Spain (including this thread!), but there's really no discussion there - anything that makes walking harder is almost certain to inhibit driving as well, so whether or not it's illegal, I wouldn't recommend it. But barefoot is another matter. Most footwear restricts you in some way or other and I cannot find any reference to driving barefoot actually being dangerous. On the contrary, most of the information that comes up states that it is not illegal anywhere. To compare it to drink driving or using a mobile whilst driving is ludicrous. You may as well suggest that wearing sunglasses while driving causes accidents, or that walking barefoot on the beach poses a danger to other beach users. Perhaps driving without gloves and hat is also dangerous? If so, my father may be vindicated after all.

That's not to say that the Guardia may not be deliberately stopping "soft" targets (e.g.foreign tourists) on such pretences, and since clearly some have been caught in this trap, it's good advice to avoid driving barefoot too in areas where there may be increased Guardia activity. As for the suggestion that this kind of thing is more common in Spain than the UK, I think it's wrong to generalise. I have been living (and driving) in Spain for over 12 years and have never (touch wood) been stopped, and rarely see road blocks. UK police may not have the right to randomly stop vehicles (really?) but they hardly need to bother when there's now a camera every hundred yards or so to film your every transgression. The Spanish equivalent is just less sophisticated and advanced (like most things Spanish). Obviously from canon999's posts, Benahavis / Estepona are good areas to avoid! In fact, since Susan (Justin's better half) posted yet another article today about the cost of living being higher in Spain than the UK, I would suggest that that end of the coast is a good area to avoid all together for various reasons! Again, such generalisations can be very misleading. But that's another subject / thread.

Drive safely, and be lucky!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 8:31 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

My Two penn'orth...

1) 'Policing by Consent' went largely out of the window when the Blair Government brought in the Pre***tion of Te**orism Act 2000 and amended the Stop and Search rules accordingly. Ask any Black orAsian youth...

2) The UK police don't need to run roadside spot checks since Traffic Policing is so automated what with an overabundance of Speed cameras, ANPRS and CCTV. However the Department of Transport can and do run spot checks; VOSA can and do; Customs and Excise can and do and there is invariably a police presence at such check points. In the cities, designated council officials and Traffic Wardens have a hell of a lot of power regarding parked vehicles and can have untaxed vehicles removed and broken up...Incidentally under POTA 2000 the police can run Roadside spot checks under certain circumstances....

3)The laws pertaining to Hi-Viz vests, warning triangles and spare bulbs are not exclusive to Spain; they are European Law; the fact that the UK has not as yet invoked them is probably down to the fact that it doesnt bring in any extra taxation to the Exchequer...and that enforcement would be difficult.

4) How does a traffico know that the car he about to stop is a tourist? If it is a Spanish reg vehicle he won't know until he stops the car...so it cannot be a case of picking on the tourists, even in the ex-pat enclaves of the CDS or CB. If however the vehicle is on British/Irish plates then that's the price you pay; you could well be one of the suspected 80% who have no valid UK Tax or MOT, in which case you deserve all you get!

Morerosado makes mention of the fact that they Motorcycle Trafficos can be intimidating; have you looked at your average Brit M/cycle policeman lately?  It's called protective gear; you try falling off one of those huge police bikes at anything much above 50 mph and see how you get on; if you are trapped underneath one you wont extricate yourself without help! ...You wanna see intimidating... go to Gatwick and play spot Judge Dread..West Sussex police have it down to a fine art...

We have been in Spain for three years, in this time I have been stopped twice; a couple of weeks ago in Granada City where City police were stopping every third car on a routine drugs check; neither my papers nor my cars papers which were all in order were requested, but I was asked to open the rear passenger door whilst a sniffer dog had a quick sniff around and a second dog went around the outside of the car. After a delay of no more than a minute I was on my way again with a courteous "Gracias por su cooperación." Given that when stopped I rolled the side window down and said "Buenos Dias" to the officer who stopped me I dont think he even twigged that I was English...

On the other occasion I was halfway between my village and the next when the Trafficos stopped me and carried out a full inspection of my vehicle papers and my passport. It was during this check that I found out that almost invariably at least one of the crew are dual or multi-lingual and trained to near paramedic standards...(This may also account for the reason that foreign tourists are not generally 'targetted' in the UK;  How many British plods are dual or multi-lingual?)

On one occasion we had to stop and get off the local Motorway because we had a puncture; I was quite able to change the wheel without help but was stymied by the lack of a special key to remove the hub-cap (just another little Renault gotcha...). My wife was with me at the time so she said she would get a taxi to the local Renault garage and buy a key...We hailed a taxi and off she went, only to return 30 minutes later with the news that she needed the cars permisso document in order to buy the key.

She asked if I would go this time since she wasnt sure of exactly what the garage was saying to her, so I grabbed the papers, jumped into the same taxi and went back to the garage. Got the key, got back in the taxi and went back to car to find two Trafficos waiting; they asked to see the car's papers and then assisted me whilst I did the wheel change. During the course of changing the wheel one of the officers let slip that had I called the trafficos they would have done the run to the Renault Garage and saved us a lot of Aggro...

Regular readers of these boards will know of the extraordinary lengths the Trafficos went to when we broke down in the Basque Country on our way from the UK to Granada when we first arrived.

Our dealings to date with the Trafficos have all been good; we have found them to be helpful and courteous.

There will always be the occasional bad apple but this applies anywhere not just Spain...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
16 Jul 2009 8:50 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Ignoring the Spain ones:

From Yahoo Answers : 

There is no law that states categorically that it's illegal to drive with bare feet, the law could say that you weren't in proper control of the vehicle because you couldn't put the maximum force on the brake pedal in an emergency.

If you were to have an accident and the police knew that you were driving bare footed, I don't think you'd have a leg to stand on (pun intended)

Source(s):

EDIT: Well said Empeedee, for those who have said it's ok, next time you get in the car, and it's safe to try, stamp your foot as hard as you can on the brake pedal, perhaps that will convince you. I've been on three advanced driving courses including the police one in my 50 years of driving and they all corroberate this, because I once thought it was ok.

Then this:
http://www.aviva.co.uk/media-centre/story/2153/driving-flops-as-summer-footwear-craze-flips/

Or even (from sports car forums)

if youre driving with flip flops or bare feet, please let me know when youre going to be on the road so i can do everything possible to stay inside my house where it will be safe. thats in the same league as girls driving in heels. you should have footwear that allows you to be firm with the pedals, you cant do that with bare feet. i can only imagine what a cop would think if he pulled you over and you were in bare feet.

AA Answers

Think about your hand.......It has many little bones and joints which allow it to move, bend, flex, etc.
Your foot has similar structure, and so, if you use your bare foot to drive, those moveable joints and bones in your foot won't have the same control on the brake and the accelerator as having a solid structure under your foot......i.e. the sole of a shoe.........it's flat, straight and yet allows your foot to bend a bit.......wearing a "supportive" shoe, therefore gives you more control of your vehicle. That does not include "flip flops" though......or any shoe without a bit of support where your foot could slip sideways and get caught on the pedals.....

Plus (From autotips)

The sole of the foot can become trapped underneath the pedal whilst raising your foot to change gear. Wearing mules, flip-flops and other shoes without adequate ankle support can lead to the foot slipping off the pedal or missing the pedal altogether. For similar reasons avoid also high heels. These types of footwear can cause accidents as you don’t have enough time to recover the situation. Special scientific research found that flip-flops are the most dangerous item of driving footwear.

At the risk of going on ad nauseum, this was just on the 3rd page of Google with another 214 million pages.  (The first two pages seem full of college kids or Spain forums discussing it).
Maybe Roberto uses a "different" Google to me.

Edited to say:  And before you Google loads of pages to show that it isn't that bad, don't bother because I've already done it and the above outweighs the OK ones.  Not wanting to turn this into a peeing contest but still think it is rather stupid if people have commented on the Spanish police fining people for doing it and then carry on doing so.  That was the point of my argument rather than the safety aspects of it or not.  But, hey, guys, carry on doing it.  Please don't then come back and say how nasty the police were for fining you when you had been warned, many, many times. 

This message was last edited by bobaol on 16/07/2009.

Like 0      
17 Jul 2009 8:49 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I disagree with some of those comments bobaol.

Last year I attended several track days in Spain.  I drove around the circuit at high speed and being very aggressive on the brakes...all with no shoes on...and I put in some very respectable lap times.

If anything, I think I actually have a better feel of what the car is doing under breaking when I'm not wearing shoes.

It's a bit like what Ayrton Senna used to say about driving a car.  You should drive holding the steering wheel with your finger tips, as you have a much greater feel about what the car is doing instead of gripping the steering wheel hard with your hands.

I suppose each to their own at the end of the day.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
18 Jul 2009 1:01 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I once had the misfortune to drive a Renault 21 (company vehicle, not my choice) and due to closeness of the pedals to one another, was simply unable to drive it with ANY kind of footwear on. Perhaps French people have extra narrow feet, or perhaps French cars are just crap (my personal opinion). Also used to drive old Triumphs (Herald, Spitfire) in which the driving position put you at an almost 45 degree angle to the direction of travel. Perhaps I should have had custom made boots to compensate for the resulting odd angle of the pedals, but simply removing your shoes made it manageable. And Justin, I sympathise. I used to have a Lancia! Specifically designed for primates and Italians, and much easier to drive barefoot. We know!

I'll have a peeing contest with you any day, Bob - sounds like fun. But I agree, since people evidently have been stopped and fined for such a ridiculous reason, it would be foolish to ignore the advice to keep a pair of size 13 Doc Martins in the footwell (underneath the brake pedal there's usually space to stow them) on the off chance that one day you have to prove to some Brokeback mincer in green uniform how butch you are, and that you can exert more pressure on your brake pedal than the next guy.

(All said with tongue firmly in cheek  )

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Jul 2009 1:26 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

I live in NE Extremadura, where the police leave you alone. What I don't understand about you guys on the CB & CDS is that on the one hand the cops seem to jump on you for anything always looking to hand out a fine, and then on the other hand I read on this website about the anarchy of half a zillion Brits driving around the costas with untaxed, uninsured, no-MOT cars. If they'll stop you on the offchance you're wearing flip flops, surely to God it's courting disaster to drive around in an illegal car?

I haven't been to Torremolinos since I was a teenager in the sixties, so I've told my wife we must drive down and check out the CDS next month. I'll certainly make a point of not driving barefoot after reading this thread.

Like 0      
18 Jul 2009 2:51 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Roberto: I'll have a peeing contest with you any day, Bob - sounds like fun.

Just lately I'm afraid that it'll have to be 2 am, 3 am, 4 am and 5 am cos that's how many time I have to get up in the night. 

Like 0      
18 Jul 2009 4:35 PM by 1962 Star rating in Iznalloz. 181 posts Send private message

To Foxbat and Bobaol,

Both excellent posts lots of truth and common sense, now suddenly a vendetta against the police.  Also I know plenty of people who have been stopped when I was living in the UK for no apparent reason. What I cannot understand is this constant referral to how we do things in the UK,  -  that wouldn't happen in the UK this wouldn't happen in the UK -   Let's say something nice about the police for instance the way they  'police'  the local schools in Spain to make sure the children are safe when arriving and returning from school and I am almost sure that it is every school, they don't do that in the UK.  

Kathy

Kathy

Like 0      
19 Jul 2009 9:07 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Yes, but remember that it's normally not the police but the Guardia Civil that tend to stop cars on the roads and do their road blocks....and I still don't see the point of the Guardia Civil!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
19 Jul 2009 1:03 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Bob, can I take diuretics, or are they a banned substance in our chosen field?

Justin, I don't think the average foreign tourist or even resident makes any great distinction between the police and the Guardia - they're both uniformed figures of authority, and just seem to be different departments of the police force. So what exactly is the difference? Aren't the Guardia just a throw back to the Franco era, a para-military show of power symptomatic of any dictatorship, that haven't as yet been absorbed into the mainstream police? Why, for that matter, is there a National and a Local police force, and how do their powers vary? Fodder for a new article, perhaps?

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

How do I get from Marbella bus station at 11pm to Duquesa - the bus has stopped! - 13 posts
water leak - are we responsible? - 4 posts
Repossessed properties--BEWARE - 1 posts
Has anyone successfully bought a heavily discounted property on the formerly Arenal Duquesa site? - 8 posts
Bank Guarantee - 12 posts
Hot Tub on Terrace? - 5 posts
Sewage smell coming from Aircon Vents.. - 7 posts
fractional ownership - 3 posts
non resident bank charges - 19 posts
Gas BBQ - Garden Furniture - 2 posts
Getting a Fishing Licence?? - 2 posts
murcia ? within my budget nice area ? algorfa , cabo roig, san miquel de salinas any thoughts - 4 posts
financing a new car - 3 posts
Two excellent websites with reviews (by local diners)of restaurants on the Costa Blanca - 1 posts
EOS 5th birthday on Saturday - 20 posts
Key Lounges - 1 posts
Aeroclub ULM Vera - 1 posts
might b going to monda village - 0 posts
WERE THERE - 16 posts
Wealth and income tax non resident - 4 posts
Anti-Glare Window Film - 1 posts
How to translation these 2 sentenses? - 9 posts
Gibraltar Magazine - 1 posts
MM2 update - 1 posts
Cambank - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 32

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x