water leak - are we responsible?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Jul 2009 12:00 AM by queenbee Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

We own a house in Spain  which we have rented for a year.

Last December we paid a bill of 120euros for water and the next bill in March was also 120 euros which the tenant complained about.

In 8 years of owning the house we did not think we had a problem.

Aguagest said with their bill that their must be a leak. They came out and identified the leak was outside the house and said we should contact the community

The community admin said the community insurance should cover this. Then they said the insurance would not pay and they had an estimate for the work of 700 euros. The bill has now arrived and is 1180 euros.

The leak was about 2 yards   from our garden gate outside our neighbours property. The water meters are in the centre of the community .

Our insurance will not cover the leak as it does not affect the house.Does anyone know if we should really be paying. we have no control over what goes through community land and works have been done by gardeners etc outside the houses.

Like 0      
17 Jul 2009 9:54 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

It does seem strange that as the leak occured on communial property you are the only one liable. 

My water meter is outside my house, does anyone else have a water meter so far away from the house?

Next time I speak to my President I'll ask what happens in our community.  Ours is only a small community of one private road.  Perhaps others who live on larger communities could investigate what would happen on theirs.

The fact that you're not covered by insurance is a concern and I think you should ask for the whole community to be warned at the annual AGM or by individual letters.  This could happen to other houses and as you have found could be expensive.

You obviously are suspicious that this leak could have been caused by someone working in the communial area.

Maybe your situation is unique and as such needs to be addressed now.  Or if it's not then depending on what happens on other communities you may be able to make a claim against the community admin if they have been negligent in setting up the communial insurances. 

Like 0      
17 Jul 2009 1:24 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Thers is a very simple rule here on leaks which is if the leak happens on a pipe that is connected to the meter then it is a community but nore commonly the responsibility of the water supplier

If a break happens in any pipe that are located between the water meter and into the property, regardless where the pipes run, then ay leaks are the responsibility of the home owner to have and to pay for the repairs

It is not normal for water meters to be located long distances from the property, normally they are in community cupboards immediately outside the property or in the entrances to apartments to the pipe runs are easily accessable or very short runs

If you have buildings insurance I would be back to the insurance company as under the regulations this is part of your property infrastructure and should therefore be covered by your buidings insurance

Also how old is the property because ypu may be able to go back to the developed under the 3 year term of claim against the 10 years builders cover

Semijubilada makes a good point that the community should have insurance to cover the infrastructure and the Administrator should be able to give you details of the cover and the company and I would also contract them directly and make a claim

Like 0      
17 Jul 2009 3:29 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

I understand that if the leak is actually in your apartment, or house, it is your responsibility.

If it is between the meter and your house/apartment then it will be community.

If a pipe runs through a community wall ( an there a lot of those in an apartment block ) then the responsibility is the communities.

Ask your Administrator or your Presidente to contact the community insurers regarding this..........if the leak is on community property it is the community's responsibility.

Your own insurance only covers your private dwelling and NOT anything which is Community.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
17 Jul 2009 3:50 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Queenbee said '

Aguagest said with their bill that their must be a leak. They came out and identified the leak was outside the house and said we should contact the community

The community admin said the community insurance should cover this. Then they said the insurance would not pay and they had an estimate for the work of 700 euros. The bill has now arrived and is 1180 euros.

The leak was about 2 yards   from our garden gate outside our neighbours property. The water meters are in the centre of the community .'

However, obviously, as Karensun has said, it is the communities liability.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Repossessed properties--BEWARE - 1 posts
Has anyone successfully bought a heavily discounted property on the formerly Arenal Duquesa site? - 8 posts
Bank Guarantee - 12 posts
Hot Tub on Terrace? - 5 posts
Sewage smell coming from Aircon Vents.. - 7 posts
fractional ownership - 3 posts
non resident bank charges - 19 posts
Gas BBQ - Garden Furniture - 2 posts
Getting a Fishing Licence?? - 2 posts
murcia ? within my budget nice area ? algorfa , cabo roig, san miquel de salinas any thoughts - 4 posts
financing a new car - 3 posts
Two excellent websites with reviews (by local diners)of restaurants on the Costa Blanca - 1 posts
EOS 5th birthday on Saturday - 20 posts
Key Lounges - 1 posts
Aeroclub ULM Vera - 1 posts
might b going to monda village - 0 posts
WERE THERE - 16 posts
Wealth and income tax non resident - 4 posts
Anti-Glare Window Film - 1 posts
How to translation these 2 sentenses? - 9 posts
Gibraltar Magazine - 1 posts
MM2 update - 1 posts
Cambank - 2 posts
Question regarding 11month rental - 6 posts
Obtaining an NIE number at Spanish Consulate Edinburgh - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x