New sky card problems

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Oct 2011 5:32 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

There are a few things to try before you start doing software downloads....(if not down correctly or at the best time of day then they do nothing or can harm the box further!)

Do you have two cables connected to the HD box, to both input 1 and input 2?

Do you have the box in single feed mode - services 0 0 1 and the option is at the bottom of the screen. Single feed mode tells the box to use input 1 only, and so with this option clashes are more common.

Sometime a planner rebuild, from the services menu, will sort out problems - if it thinks it is still recording but you think it is not.

In many cases a manual software download does nothing. Its the "unplug from power and rewbooting" that does the trick.

And the manual siftware download only works if ou can receive the main 11778 frequency - you konw if you can receive this as sky channel 998 is available to watch.

Some SkyHD boxes have had new software downloaded recently, which has a few bugs in it.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
30 Nov 2011 9:55 PM by ds8819 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Hi

I live near Osuna (sevilla). I have just installed a freesat receiver with a 120 cm dish. I aligned the dish using one of the meters that you often see.

I can receive most channels, however not all. Some channels are perfect, clear as a bell and super clear, others drop in and out stutter and pixilate, particularly at night, even though the signal strength is around 80 and quality around 60, why is this? surely if it is pointing at the satellite and getting a good signal on some channels then surely it should pick up the other channels just as good.

my freesat box also has an additional antenna output feed to link to another tuner. I have a spare Skyplus box which I was wanting to use in the bedroom (just for the free channels). however it won't pick up any signal. I was told that if the dish was aligned to the satellite for freesat then I should also receive trhe free sky channels.... is this correct? if so then why won't the sky dish tune in?

I tried removing the cable feed from the dish from the Freesat box and plugged it directly into the sky box but still no signal. I do have a sky viewing card but it is a few years old. do i need a new card I wonder?. is it necessary to have a card just to pick up the free channels on sky?

Can anybody throw any light on this please

Like 0      
30 Nov 2011 10:48 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

I can receive most channels, however not all. Some channels are perfect, clear as a bell and super clear, others drop in and out stutter and pixilate, particularly at night, even though the signal strength is around 80 and quality around 60, why is this? surely if it is pointing at the satellite and getting a good signal on some channels then surely it should pick up the other channels just as good.

UK satellite TV channels are transmitted by 5 satellites using a range of frequencies over a number of beams. these beams have different reception characteristics. So some channels you can receive nice and easily, others require bigger dishes. In my area, I can receive a fair number of free and sky channels on an 80cm dish. But some channels ,like BBC1,2, need a much bigger dish, say 1.8m. And even on a 2.4m dish I still cannot receive BBC3 and BBC4.

If you have some channel and not others, and are expecting others, then your dish may not be aligned properly. a few mm on earth can mean a few 100 kms up in space where the satellites are, and that makes a difference in reception ,. As can many other things: dish is warped, lnb is poor,lnb skew angle is wrong, lnb is not hte correct distance fromt he dish, the cable is poor quality, the cable connections are poor, water ingress into the cable...and a few more.

my freesat box also has an additional antenna output feed to link to another tuner. I have a spare Skyplus box which I was wanting to use in the bedroom (just for the free channels). however it won't pick up any signal. I was told that if the dish was aligned to the satellite for freesat then I should also receive trhe free sky channels.... is this correct? if so then why won't the sky dish tune in?

UK TV comes from 5 satellites. Sky and freeesat use the same satellites and the same frequencies. There is no need for a seperate dish. A sky box with no viewing card will recieve the same channels as a freesat box.

However, the "loop" on the freesat box will only send the frequency "group" that  the freesat box is using through that loop. Basically, if you have one channel on your freesat box on freq 12345, then freq 12345 will be sent via that loop to the sky box.

Ideally if you want ot use two seperate receivers at the same time, each will require its own seperate cable, and this se[erate feed from the LNB on the dish - which may mean changing the LNB to one that has more feeds.

I tried removing the cable feed from the dish from the Freesat box and plugged it directly into the sky box but still no signal. I do have a sky viewing card but it is a few years old.

Perhaps by attaching two live receivers to the same cable you have damaged the tuner inside the receivers, or maybe even damaged the LNB.

do i need a new card I wonder?. is it necessary to have a card just to pick up the free channels on sky?

A sky box with no viewing card will get the same channels as a freesat box. Card or no card, the sky box will work. you do not need a card for any "free to air" channels - like BBC1,2,3,4. you need a "free to view", also called a "freesatfromsky" card, and also sometimes incorrectly called a "freeview card", to watch those channels that are free but encrypted - like Five HD or Sony Tv.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
30 Nov 2011 11:44 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

TECHNO TECHNO BOGGIE MAN STRICKS AGAIN IN SPAIN U NEED 1,9 METER DISH AND EVEN AIR TEMP WILL AFFECT THE SIGNAL, SO GET THE DISH WATCH THE PROGRAMMES.

NOTE NOT ALL SIGS ARE THE SAME STRENGTH BBC IS THE BEST.

Like 0      
30 Nov 2011 11:45 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

B4SSY Y GOD HELP US JUST PUT 044 IN FRONT OF NUMBER AND DIAL REST

BON CHANCHE

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

community fees. how is the fee worked out - 7 posts
eye on spain car hire - 2 posts
Alhambra and Granarda Visit - 1 posts
SKY TV FORMENTERA COASTABLANCA - 2 posts
POSSIBLE RETURN TO UK. - 0 posts
POSSIBLE RETURN TO UK. - 0 posts
Dissatisfaction with Spanish Lawyer - 2 posts
childminding in playa flamenca - 1 posts
INDESIT WASHER,FRIDGE FREEZER,TUMBLE DRYER FOR SALE - 0 posts
QUALITY BEDROOM FURNITURE SET FOR SALE - 1 posts
Problem dogs - 3 posts
Problem dogs - 1 posts
tax on rental income - 1 posts
Question for Maria re " credit contra de la masa " - 7 posts
BANKINTER RIP OFF WHO DO I CHANGE TO HELP - 7 posts
Building insurance phase 3B - 0 posts
Holiday Rentals - 4 posts
Terrace Furniture Wanted - 3 posts
I'm Looking for a 3 bed detached Property with access to a pool in the Quesada area for long term rent. - 2 posts
Excellent book on the financial side of how to run a community. - 0 posts
Hi everyone - 1 posts
move to the costa blanca - 3 posts
horizontal laws - 4 posts
Long term Property Rental Question... - 6 posts
contact details to pay community fees - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x