Murcia car hire - update.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 May 2009 12:00 AM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

Slight change of policy at Murcia airport?

Just had a five day hire from Auriga Crown (through DoyouSpain.com) - they offered full-to-full fuel with a 40euro refundable deposit - BUT now a compulsory insurance charge of 3euros/day (to a max of 36euros) for damage to tyres/wheels/clutch. If you wish to opt out of paying this then you MUST leave a deposit of 300euros!

Don't suppose it will be too long before this catches on with the rest!

Steve.

Steve.

Like 0      
14 May 2009 4:47 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi the same company charges the same at malaga airport irene

Like 0      
16 May 2009 11:25 AM by carolandrichard Star rating in West Yorkshire and P.... 93 posts Send private message

Auriga also charge the same at Almeria airport. €3 per day insurance for wheels, glass and clutch, up to max €36 or leave a €300 deposit if you chose not to take the 'optional' insurance. Likewise if you have purchased this insurance elsewhere you still have to pay the deposit if you don't take out their 'optional insurance. Any damage would then be taken out of the deposit and you would have to claim from wherever you purchased the insurance. Refunded if there are no issues on inspection when you return it.

Like 0      
16 May 2009 12:45 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Just to remind everyone that this extra insurance is only for wheels, tyres, clutch and underside. Scratches and dents to the car are usually covered under the normal insurance depending who you book with. DYS & HCIS both have no excess, so if you came back with a scratch, but all tyres and wheels intact you will get your money back. Some of the larger companies however will take up to a €600 excess for any damage incurred.

Mark

Like 0      
16 May 2009 9:00 PM by the toffees Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

I have just spent an extra 18 euros on car hire because I arrived at Murcia airport and felt that it was safer to pay the 3 euros per day than give 300 euros deposit.  I felt intimidated into doing this, but will in future (after checking with my husband) pay the deposit.

When I queried it at the airport I was told it was a 'new' thing !!

Like 0      
16 May 2009 11:30 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

Refunded if there are no issues on inspection when you return it

unfortunately when do they ever look over the car when you return it

Like 0      
17 May 2009 2:26 PM by carolandrichard Star rating in West Yorkshire and P.... 93 posts Send private message

We've always found that Auriga do check the car over when you return it, and they note on the slip the amount of fuel you have in so the person at the desk can refund the fuel charge - certainly at Almeria airport anyway. Will know about Murcia next week!

Like 0      
17 May 2009 11:09 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

and then find a tiny little scratch that you didn't see when you picked it up and charge you for it against your deposit

Like 0      
18 May 2009 7:33 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

No they don't. The dposit is taken for damage to wheel, tyres and underbody only. As I said before, the other daage is covered under whatever insurance is sold to you by the agent you book through.

Mark

Like 0      
18 May 2009 11:33 AM by the toffees Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

We got charged 50 euros for a damaged tyre and didn't know anything about the charge until a few days later when I checked our bank statement.

I queried it it as we had driven the car to the airport and didn't notice a puncture.  I was told it was the spare tyre that had a puncture and as we hadn't used the spare, they trusted me and gave us the money back.

Its difficult to remember to check the spare tyre as well as everything else when you arrive at the airport, but worth doing.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2009 9:59 PM by PandJ Star rating. 40 posts Send private message

Just to complicate things further

We have just hired a car through Economy Car Hire and Auriga Crown, declined the extra 3 euros per day because we always have with no problems. When we picked up the car I pointed out a range of other minor dents and scratches that were not marked up on the contract however the rep didn't seem too bothered about and signed and stamped the contract without looking at the car.

However when I returned car the rep pointed out what can only be described as the most minor windscreen chip I have ever seen. Then told me that it would not be until the morning until the car was repaired and the charge would be taken from our card but couldn't say how much it would be.

Not very happy with there apparent zero tolerance approach !!

PandJ

Like 0      
04 Jun 2009 5:22 PM by the toffees Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

This is what worries me.  They are trying to force you into paying the 3 euros a day as you won't want to take a risk with not paying it.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2009 6:43 PM by carolandrichard Star rating in West Yorkshire and P.... 93 posts Send private message

I've decided to purchase an annual insurance to cover excess, does anybody on here have one that they can recommend? Also has anybody claimed on one and can comment on the claim, eg, was it easy to claim, did they pay out etc

Like 0      
04 Jun 2009 6:48 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Even if you purchase the additional insurance, the €300 deposit is still required with Auriga.

Mark

Like 0      
04 Jun 2009 8:11 PM by the toffees Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

I agree with you - we had someone next to us who was trying to argue against paying the deposit as he had annual insurance, and they wouldn't let him have the car unless he either left the deposit or paid the 3 euros a day.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2009 10:47 PM by lytton Star rating in Bath & North East So.... 422 posts Send private message

Hi,

We just booked with DYS at Murcia Airport and ended up with Gold Car. Does anyone know if they charge any hidden extras. We had Autiga last time and had the 3euros per day which wasn't too bad but anything on top of this would make the actual hire expensive.

Thanks, Phil

Like 0      
05 Jun 2009 8:19 AM by carolandrichard Star rating in West Yorkshire and P.... 93 posts Send private message

I know we'd still have to leave the deposit if we don't have Auriga's insurance. But at least if they pull a 'tiny chip in the windscreen' on us, they may take something out of the deposit but we would be able to claim back from the insurance. With the number of days we spend in Spain each year an annual policy makes far better sense for us than €3 per day.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2009 8:19 AM by amcgrory Star rating in La Herrada Los Monte.... 23 posts Send private message

amcgrory´s avatar

Hola, after a recent short visit to Spain we booked our car  through Amigo Autos and ended up with Gold car. Arriving at Murcia airport we had to join a very long queue which resulted in a wait of about an hour. Only to be told at the desk that there were no cars available and that they were being issued only when they came in. Tough luck for the forty or so clients still waiting behind us. Having accepted the first car that came in an Opel Combi and not the Ford Fusion we reserved we duly went on our way. The following day the service warning light came on and the car lost power. With only two more days of our stay left we decided  against doing too much travelling about,  and as a result of this returned the car with three quarters of a tank of fuel.Gold Car have been contacted with no success Needless to say we will be avoiding them in future.  Regards Pat and Ann.

Like 0      
27 Jun 2009 1:33 PM by PandJ Star rating. 40 posts Send private message

Hi,

There are various references to an annual policy to get over the Car Hirer's extra charge. Can anyone recommend suitable policy. We spend alot of time in Spain each year so an annual policy makes sense to us too.

Thanks

PandJ

Like 0      
27 Jun 2009 1:38 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Hi

We have an annual policy with www.insurance4carhire.com. Luckily have not had to make a claim so can't tell you how that is. For other sites which do similar policies just google insurance for car hire.

Noreen

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 27/06/2009.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

alicante airport transfer to villamatin-july - 3 posts
Sofa Bed For Sale - 3 posts
IS MY POA STILL VALID?? - 1 posts
Picture Framer - San Javier area - 3 posts
Who can tell me about.... - 4 posts
Fortuna Investment Recovery Group - 0 posts
Who has tried - 8 posts
Book Writing - 4 posts
2/3 bed to rent in Fuengirola - 0 posts
Ford Focus year 2000. - 0 posts
Truck space available Spain to Holland + return. Early June. - 0 posts
Notary Power - 1 posts
Birthday party for EOS - 23 posts
Costa Blanca Driving Warning - 3 posts
window cleaning villamartin area - 5 posts
Car Hire Malaga Airport - 0 posts
New EOS Superstar - 7 posts
octobre or november? - 5 posts
Car insurance - 3 posts
13, 200, 000 MILLION EUROS STOLEN BY CORRUPT SPAIN - 63 posts
Driving to Spain - 3 posts
Declaración de la Renta for Residents - 4 posts
what's the weather like in the alicante area at the moment - 6 posts
purchase - 2 posts
Medcup sailing race started in Alicante - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 52

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x