If we can take a little time to stop .....

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Mar 2009 12:00 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

I just thought this was an interesting story/article (a link to the Washington Post below the quote from the story).  Makes me think anyway!!

A man sat at a subway station in Washington DC and started to play the violin. It was a cold January morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that thousands of people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

Three minutes went by and a middle aged man noticed there was musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried up to meet his schedule.

A minute later the violinist received his first dollar tip: A woman threw the money in the till and without stopping continued to walk.

A few minutes after that, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again. Clearly he was late for something.

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tugged him along but the kid stopped to look at the violinist and listen anyway. Finally the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time to look back. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, only about 6 or 7 people stopped and stayed for a while. About 20 gave him money but continued to walk their normal pace. He collected $32. When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this but th musician was, Joshua Bell, one of the foremost violinists in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written... with a violin worth 3.5 million dollars.

Two days before playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at a theater in Boston and the ticket prices averaged $100 each.

Joshua Bell, playing incognito in the subway, was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and people's priorities. The outlines were this: In a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour, do we even perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context?

One of the possible conclusions from this experiment could be this: If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world, playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html

Like 0      
30 Mar 2009 12:40 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Pitby

indeed. How many famous modern art  paintings would have any  percieved value in a charity shop?

Like 0      
30 Mar 2009 2:07 PM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

Dunno - but I always have a good look at the pictures (and china) whenever I go into a charity shop - you never know!

Steve.

Steve.

Like 0      
30 Mar 2009 2:58 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Steve

yes, me to.

I guess i  meant artistic merit rather than value, in as much as because it's in a charity shop most of us probably wouldn't look at it in the same way as if it was in a gallery, though no less a picture?

Like 0      
30 Mar 2009 9:18 PM by vilprano Star rating. 56 posts Send private message

And how many incomplete buildings do we walk past without stopping to think of the misery behind each and every one.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2009 7:06 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Oh yes Pitby.. that is the clue!

Amazing story by the way!

Maria

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 3/31/2009.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
31 Mar 2009 7:33 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

vilprano

yes, how often do we look but not see?

Like 0      
31 Mar 2009 1:10 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

goodstich,

I am the type of person who sometimes looks and does not see as you are in your little world, stress etc.

Good point by the way

Ana

Ana Sánchez. PGCE, MA & BA(Hons)

Teaching and Translation Services

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Castoral Value of Property - 2 posts
Help - 1 posts
Nearly new Funiture pack - 0 posts
Still no address on property bought 12 months ago - 2 posts
Need furniture for -2 bedroom apartment - 0 posts
lar sol refunds - 0 posts
Any one got a pub pool table for sale with a slate top? - 0 posts
jive alive - 0 posts
flax horse bedding - 0 posts
flax horse bedding - 0 posts
Furniture wanted in Mojacar area - 1 posts
happy birthday more - 35 posts
MODERN JIVE CLASSES - 3 posts
El Gnomo Feliz 2 - Vera Playazo - near the newish Mercadona - 1 posts
DIET INSPIRATION AND DANCE - 2 posts
The Apprentice 2009 - 1 posts
LFO.question and answer - 3 posts
Contracts / Terms & Conditions - 1 posts
British Summer Time starts tomorrow, so.... - 6 posts
Daniel Hannan MEP speach at EU parliament. - 2 posts
European Parliament Vote - 5 posts
Average Rent For 2 Bed Apartment - 2 posts
Spanish NHS - 11 posts
Job In Spain? - 2 posts
tc license? - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x