Goodnight thread, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 May 2007 9:33 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Giraffe? What giraffe Eric?!

Go to the help forum, there are instructions of how to put a pic in your posts, he he he!!!

As if you didn't know how to..................

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
17 May 2007 1:50 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Talking of Bugs...

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. Perhaps the administrators could move it to somewhere more apt if it is considered appropriate...

Now the the summer has finally arrived and we are about to spend our first full summer in residence can I raise the subject of bugs?

We live in an old renovated rural property well inland from the Costas; unfortunately the higher temperatures have revealed to us some of the previous occupants...large black beetles and roaches. We try to keep the house as clean as possible but there are many dark and inaccessible places which make the ideal home for these insects. Things are not helped by having two dogs who are currently in mid-moult, shedding hair and dead skin fragments. Knowing that the insects are omnivores and will survive quite happily on any organic material makes life difficult but we religiously get rid of all rubbish and uneaten pet food before going to bed. We have shiny tiled floors throughout which makes life difficult for them to move about since they are not really equipped for movement on these surfaces. 

Without resorting to engaging the services of Avisur or other pest control companies is there anyway I can keep the little critters under control...I have tried sealing off any obvious points of entry, but last night I was awakened when my dogs started barking at around 3am. I came downstairs and found six of them in the kitchen. I know they are nocturnal and have considered the simple expedient of putting a light soure under the kitchen units which is where I think they are gaining access.

Any suggestions please. My wife is currently in the UK but due to return in a couple of weeks and it would be nice to be able to have the situation sorted out by then.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
19 May 2007 1:26 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Foxbat,

This is truly horrendous for you!

My sister had a place in France, she had such terrible trouble with flies and bugs it was unbelievable.

She used to tell me that she swept them up nightly by the pan full.

i didn't believe her...........that much.

Until, we went there for a week, oh my goodness, my hubby went to bed, I followed and what was a white duvet cover, was now totally black!

It was  covered in flies, as he slept!

Horrified, I tried to bat them off without killing the old man!

Whilst he lay battered and bruised, the flies slept on! It was a battle I was not going to win..........

I crawled under the duvet, leaving enough space to breath out of a 1mm gap and slept, fitfully.............

By morning, nearly all the flies were dead, due to alchoholic fumes............the floor was littered, not just by our beer cans, but dead flies interspersed amongst them......yuk!

However, getting back to the subject of flies in Spain, ahem, if you live on the coast, you won't have that problem.

Inland, yes, it's a big problemo.

My Brother lives in Aspe and has fly probs, he was told to have a herb growing in a pot by his front door entrance to keep them at bay. he did this and it worked.

Now, the problem is, what herb was it?

I don't know, but can ask him..............

In the meantime, I suggest you plant profusions of:

Basil - This might have been it??

Thyme - Not sure, try it time will tell......... he he!

Parsley - Mmmm, not sure if this was it, but cures garlic breath

Mint - try it, money might grow on trees

Rosemary - she's game most nights

Or........whatever takes your fancy, worth trying all the herbs, if the flys don't go, you will have a lovely herb garden.

Good luck!

Regards,

This message was last edited by FibbyUK on 5/19/2007.

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
19 May 2007 9:18 AM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Fibby, we was told by the Spanish when we was last out that a pot of lavendar is very good for keeping flies and mossys away. So we did buy one for 1euro. But because we are near a river I want to get a beaded door that is supposed  to help but we had a job locating them, so we are going to have a look in England.  Thanks for PM. Pat 

This message was last edited by Pat and Roy on 5/19/2007.

Like 0      
19 May 2007 11:17 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Most Ferreteria's stock the door curtains, look out for the ones with metal chains instead of beads as there's less gap between them.

If you have grills at the windows and doors you could try putting up mosi netting (most garden centers stock rolls of different sizes and widths) on double sided sticky tape.  Works for me

Zena

Like 0      
19 May 2007 1:28 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Fibby...

Hi... Hmm, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme: cue for a song...

Somewhere among the many unpacked boxes I have got Simon And Garfunkel's original, maybe a few bars of that each night might work! I read somewhwere that being nocturnal, beetles and roaches dont like too much daylight. So I tried the simple expedient of leaving a light on in the kitchen; dont know if its coincidence but we have had two nights without bugs...

We had problems with flies and mossies in Palma and Cala D'Or in Mallorca and bought one of the plug in units that are supposed to kill them. Didnt read the instructions however and left it switched on all night... big mistake. We woke up in the morning with splitting headaches so switched it off pronto!

Dont know if AKI still have them but late last year they had small versions of the combined uv light and high voltage killing coils that you see in a lot of bakers shops and butchers. We bought one of them and it worked extremely well at keeping flies and mossies at bay. 

Patand Roy,

Beaded curtains, AKI or Carrefour carry quite a good range.

Like 0      
19 May 2007 5:49 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Thanks all, for the info Zena, we did try in a 3 ferreteria's but they did not have any, perphaps it's to early in the season.   But will try Carrefour if we cannot get one here.  I have spoken to some people that have seen them priced at 60 to 80 Euros which I thought was expensive.  Thanks everyone Pat 

Like 0      
19 May 2007 9:18 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar

Kleeneze sell the small versions of  the UV insect killers on offer at the moment 2 for £20. Each one effective for areas up to 50m2. I am taking some out to my place in Spain.

Julia

Like 0      
20 May 2007 6:50 AM by hicky Star rating in campello,spain/x tin.... 51 posts Send private message

talking of bugs,we did have a problem with ants and the odd roach,we were recomended a product called ZUM which can be bought in carrefour,,its in a spray can,use it around the primiter of your property and nothing will cross it,spray under units ect ,it will kill what you have already in residence,

it worked for us,one good spray twice a year,we also use it in the garden,its a fantastic product,

Like 0      
20 May 2007 11:32 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

hicky...

hi, thanks for that. Im going to carrefour tomorrow to do the weekly shop. Will have a look and see...

patand roy

I will also price up their beaded curtains at the same time and will post the results.

Like 0      
20 May 2007 10:49 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Goodnight, no bugs...lots of repelants...sprays, candles, plug in thingys and even a super dooper lantern affair ( unused )...............................but no bugs!!!!!!!!!

So night one and all............................anyone heard from Jeansis??????????????

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
20 May 2007 10:57 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar
Just stick your head under the covers KarenSun, you will only feel the hubby "bite" then.........

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
21 May 2007 12:19 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Ok guys, my turn.................

Now have to climb the wooden stairs, (no crutches now, hip op going great), slide into bed beside the staunch Chelsea supporter (come on you blues, whoops, sorry again you reds...........!)

Kick him in the nether regions to gain space, poke him in the back to get him to face the other way, slide the cats into position, place the pillows in between us to form "the barrier", snuggle down and sleep, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Night night peeps, don't let the bed bugs bite!

kind regards,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
21 May 2007 2:33 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Pat and Roy...

Re-Beaded curtains...Sorry for feeding you duff gen. Carrefour dont appear to stock them after all. But AKI definitelydo. Unable to quote price however because boot full of frozen food de-frosting so didnt have time to call in...Sorry...

Like 0      
21 May 2007 3:24 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Foxbat, Thank you so much for looking. Will not try carrefour then.  Hope you did not spend to many euros. Although food seems to be a lot cheaper then England. Well I am rambling again now.  Thanks again Regards Pat.

Like 0      
28 May 2007 11:50 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Well peeps, the battery on the laptop is down to 39%, can't be bothered to go grab the mains lead, so will say my night nights now. (Although if there are any riveting posts, I may not be able to help myself!)

May not sleep tonight, wondering what's happenign on EOS                            (yeah right!)

So for now, night night, sleep tight and don't let those bed bugs bite......................................

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
30 Jun 2007 12:18 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

So, no members sleep on EOS eh?

~No posts to this thread for a month!!!

I knew EOS was addictive, but this takes this biscuit!

~Anyway, night from me, seems like there's only 2 of us here anyway, me and new member Morerosada...................so night night, don't let the bed bugs bite..........................I already had 2 nips this week..........and it ain't bed bugs!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
30 Jun 2007 12:53 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar
Night night Fibby, from  hot and sweaty Granada. Just writing another thrilling chapter of our story...might even get round to posting it when Mrs Foxbat is back home with me!

Like 0      
03 Jul 2007 12:30 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
foxbat, looking forward to reading your next chapter, was totally hooked on the first one.

Off to bed now, goodnight all.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
03 Jul 2007 3:08 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Justin,

I have just posted the next chapter... see Fan Belts under 'Drving in Spain'

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

ANY ONE COME ACROSS A BREADMAKER - 7 posts
Lunar Eclipse - 17 posts
Schools in Spain - 7 posts
NEW .... SEARCH FACILITY UP & RUNNING, YIPPEEEEEEEEEEE !!! - 17 posts
Insurers only Insure per Sq Mts not for value of Propety - 6 posts
Nearest A&E unit to Duquesa - 2 posts
WANTED....3 BED APPARTMENT TO RENT.... Calahonda / Elviria area for Christmas - 0 posts
lewis - 0 posts
Water/Electricity Connection Charges - 5 posts
spanish will/inheritance tax - 1 posts
gines serran pagan´s paintings for sale - 9 posts
RIBS please - spare ones! - 27 posts
Cibo - El Presidente - Estepona - 0 posts
Tricky Rickys Guadalmina. CDS - 0 posts
Albertos Cabopino CDS - 9 posts
Palm Beach Los Monteros CDS - 0 posts
BARGAIN 2bed - ONLY 149´000euros - 4 posts
Printer & Scanner 4sale - 2 posts
JeansSis' 1000th post !!! - 19 posts
Princesa Kristina Duquesa - 3 posts
'Spanish Music Good, Bad or Indifferent'. There's more to it than'Viva España' - 15 posts
ADVISE ON PENTHOUSE IN DUQUESA PLEASE - 1 posts
Advice For First Time Buyers Please……… - 3 posts
Anyone for a meet up around Duquesa next week? - 161 posts
E111 Forms - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 103

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x