car tax

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Jan 2009 12:00 AM by Cormona Star rating. 69 posts Send private message

Cormona´s avatar

Does anyone know how the car tax in Spain works I got a car last July and the gaurage told me that it would run out in Jan 09 as I will not be back down until July can you pay it by visa to the local town hall ???is there any english goverment pages to find info

Like 0      
31 Jan 2009 10:08 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Where I live near Granada the renewal notice is sent out by my local town hall by snail mail to the address on the registration document.

The renewal notice  bears the names of two or three banks that the Town Hall deal with; You take the renewal notice to one of the banks, pay up and retain the stamped renewal notice and receipt from the bank as proof of payment.

Dont know if its possible to do it any other way. I do know that if it isn't paid by the closure date, the notice expires and the owner starts incurring additional costs and a new notice has to be requested from the Town Hall. The amount then required is the original amount plus the incurred additional charges.

The same seems to hold true for any demands from the local Town Hall or from the Diputacion de Granada;  Rates etc., There is a definite expiry date and if you try to use the original notice after its 'closure' date the Bank cannot take payment because the Barcode on the notice is refused by the banks equipment.

This may be just a local thing of course. Where we live our Town Hall is in the next village about 12Kms away!

Dont know what to suggest really; maybe a phone call to the Town Hall to clarify the situation?

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
01 Feb 2009 5:28 AM by Cormona Star rating. 69 posts Send private message

Cormona´s avatar

Thanks for the feed back the problem is I don't live in Spain by the time I pick up my post in July it will be out by 6 months I wonder what cost are involved ? I have sent an E mail to my local town hall but I have had no feed back.

Thanks for the info enjoy the sun.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2009 9:07 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

I bought my car new. The first year´s tax was paid by the garage as a kind gesture.

I visited my bank and made arrangements for future payments to be paid by them on my behalf.

They know the date it is due, so I can virtually forget it but I do check my account to see it has been paid each year.

Maybe this could be of assistance to you?

pilgrim

Like 0      
01 Feb 2009 2:47 PM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar

Providing the car has been properly registered in your name with Trafico, you will receive a SUMA bill from you local SUMA office in the coming weeks, you may even have received a notice from your local SUMA office to inform that you will be responsible for the car tax.

By the way, whoever is the official owner of the car on paper with Trafico on Jan 1st, is liable for  the SUMA for the next year.

Once you have recieved the SUMA bill, it can be paid via the banks stated on the bill or via your Spanish bank on direct debit if they have the facility.

If you are not back until July, and the car is not being used, don't worry too much as you can pay the car SUMA when you arrive and arrange for future payments by DD with your bank, you may however incurr a small fine for late payment which I believe is 5% per month, not a criminal fine, just for late payment.

If your car is being used, best pay the SUMA by the due date.

We live in Alicante province and the last payment date before the fine is incurred is around the first week in May.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2009 5:02 PM by Cormona Star rating. 69 posts Send private message

Cormona´s avatar

Thats for that info that put my mind at piece I will set up a DD from my account in July. This is my first year to own a car in Spain it saved on hiring every time I went down.

Thx again have a nice day Cormona.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 2:54 PM by Acky Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

Cormona, how much did you pay for your insurance in Espana?  I am thinking about buying a car this year - instead of renting.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 3:27 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Acky, you just posted 'Cormona, how much did you pay for your insurance in Espana?  I am thinking about buying a car this year - instead of renting.'

Er, it rather depends on what you're insuring & Cormona has not mentioned what car he's bought.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 6:11 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Wot, More, do you mean to say that car insurance works the same as in the UK? Who'd have thought it?

Acky, please excuse our sarcasm, no offence meant! Why not try getting an online quote from lineadirecta.es for a fictitious make/model to get an idea of cost?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 6:15 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Robert, don't apologise for my post. It makes perfect sense. What does it matter what Cormona paid to insure HIS car, it depends on whether you drive a mini or a jaguar. Come ON !

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 6:25 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Acky, please excuse my sarcasm.

More, please excuse my excuse.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 6:34 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hey Rob

(I hope, anyway).

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 6:45 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Not sure what to do. - 8 posts
COSTA DEL SOL ACTION GROUP - 2 posts
Costa del Sol One bedroom apartment wanted rental period February 21 to March 13, 2009 - 0 posts
ANDULACIAN DREAM HOMES AGENTS IN FUENGIROLA - 1 posts
Anyone in Aguas Nuevas, Torrevieja - 0 posts
Fireplace required in Marbella area.... - 11 posts
L/Term rental required Costa Calida coastal area please - 0 posts
Feliz cumpleaños Maria de Castro - 10 posts
ADVICE / HELP PLEASE: Reclaiming instalment payments & interest - 9 posts
Private Car Hire - 0 posts
JUSTIN : Text size in posts these days, help needed please. - 0 posts
Long term apartment required-Couple no children or pets-non-smokers, teetotal - 14 posts
Ok I'm lost (again)......... - 3 posts
Las Rambles costa blanca - 27 posts
HOW DO YOU GET YOUR MONEY BACK - 1 posts
Hi....new on EOS and need ideas - 14 posts
El Saltador - 0 posts
Clover Estates / Procoal - 0 posts
Clover Estates / Procoal - 0 posts
Phase 2 apartments AGM - 6 posts
Can one negotiate with a developer when buying an over-valued apartment? - 13 posts
la zenia ,playa flamenca,la freda torreveja town - 0 posts
TV reception in my area - 0 posts
Anyone recommend an estate agent in the Axarquia/Rincon de la Victoria area? - 0 posts
MOVING TO SPAIN 2010 - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x