MOVING TO SPAIN 2010

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Jan 2009 12:00 AM by rach123 Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

HI i wonder if anyone can help,me and my boyfriend are hoping to come and live in spain for 3 to 6 months next year. I just dont no were to start planning. We are both UK residents, i am a qualified hairdresser and he has a trade. Has anyone got some guidence ect of were to start. We would like to work there too.thanks 

Like 0      
28 Jan 2009 8:55 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Hi and welcome.  You will find lots of good advice on this site.  Have a look at Working in Spain and Moving to Spain for a start.

You first need to pick where you want to live in Spain, near the coast, inland, Spanish area, Brit area or whatever.  You say you are only coming for 3 to 6 months.  I think you would find it very difficult to get a job outside of bar or restaurant work for that amount of time.  There are some English hairdressers serving the Brit expat community but I wouldn't think they would have many vacancies as they are usually one or two person concerns.  You would obviously be looking to rent for that time so you need to check on availability and prices.  The summer months are more expensive than the winter months (obviously) and the closer to the beaches, generally the more expensive accommodation charges.  Look to pay at least €250 a week in the high season (which is now £250 a week).  You mention your boyfriend has a trade but not what type.  There are plenty or odd job men, carpenters, gardeners, painters and decorators all plying their trade near the Brit communities so that would be hard to get into.  If you are outside these communities, a good command of the Spanish language is a must.  To be honest, with the amount of red tape required in Spain to get legal work, sign on the social to pay your insurances etc. then 3 to 6 months is not a viable option.  Bar or restaurant work is mostly casual but the pay is under the minimum UK rate even with the exchange rate at around 4 to 5 euros an hour.  You'd have to work a lot of hours to pay the rent on a holiday home.

Anyway, best of luck with whatever you are doing.  It may be best to visit the area you are thinking of for a week or two holiday first before committing yourself to a longer period.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 8:04 AM by rach123 Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

hi thanks for your reply,he has a trade of an engineer.we were thinking of majorca,we are visiting porta portals this coming june. We are going to try and get rentals numbers for flats ect.I have been to this part of spain 5 times and really like it,i would like to go march april and may next year. I already know a little spanish as i done it in school. Thinking of refreshing up on it though. I would not mind doing bar work,but hopfully we could save up too before we come. I was thinking about doing it last year too as there is nothink here in the UK.look 4ward to your reply

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Drop in Rental Income - How Far??? - 2 posts
Pruna.....Can anyone tell me what it is like ???? - 1 posts
GBP v EURO. - 26 posts
playa flaminca - 0 posts
Planning Permission. Anyone any idea how long it normally takes? 6 months, 6 years!? - 0 posts
All-in-one Printer/copier/fax/scan - 4 posts
Car boot sales on the Costa del Sol - 3 posts
Lemon Tree - 1 posts
BIG truck required to hire for about a week. - 0 posts
advice needed would like to set up a chiken farm - 1 posts
First Assembly of Owners - 0 posts
Buying a Spanish car, is there any charges and who pays for them - 4 posts
Baby clothes, - 6 posts
Going home? Car swop, genuine, not a dealer. spanish car wanted - 4 posts
Furniture for Sale (2 bed penthouse) - 2 posts
Furniture pack for sale (2 bed penthouse) - 0 posts
WANTED ROSETTA STONE (SPAIN) - 4 posts
Same Day Couriers - 6 posts
What was your chosen path/venture to buying a property in spain? - 9 posts
INHERITANCE TAX ON DEATH = NO SPOUSE EXEMPTION, THEY'RE TAXED ON 1/2 - 9 posts
cancer treatment -best hospitals? plus Funerals - 5 posts
opticians etc - 4 posts
costa de la luz aymonte/esuri huelva area villas - 0 posts
OUR PETITIONS - 6 posts
animal shavings for bedding in short supply new echo friendly animal bedding coming soon - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x