God its cold!!!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Dec 2008 12:00 AM by jbirdy Star rating in Kidderminster/ soon .... 11 posts Send private message

jbirdy´s avatar

Hi Folks, just a quick update as per my last thread (FED UP!!!!) We still have had no viewing on our house here in cold miserable England but have been told by my sources in the know that the market should pick up come February!!   We'll see

Like 0      
09 Dec 2008 3:40 PM by sarah&john Star rating in Estepona, Spain. 50 posts Send private message

Hi,

Our estate agents have said the same thing to us too, so been mad cleaning today to try and get the house into some kind of  decent viewing state just in case. Hard with a 7 and 3 year old though! Yes cold here in Yorkshire too but sunny so that is fab. Lets hope this is the year for us to get to Spain - it had better be!!

Like 0      
09 Dec 2008 4:56 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Local (UK) estate agents are advertising properties which have had 15,19 and even 25% discounted, and the large number of 'For Sale' signs  is worrying.

One local property which was sold, brand new, for £176K three years ago has been for sale for 11 months. The initial sale price was £179K but for the past five months the price has been £149K and now it's £145K plus £1000 cash back on completion!!

Other properties on the same development have never sold and one property, which was initially for sale at £250K, is now up for £205K if completed before Christmas.

The rainbow MUST be around the corner, this has gone on for far too long!

On a brighter note I'm off to Spain on the 19th for a few weeks whilst the corner is turned. Fingers crossed for all those with properties on the market that 2009 will see a sale.

Like 0      
09 Dec 2008 5:52 PM by jbirdy Star rating in Kidderminster/ soon .... 11 posts Send private message

jbirdy´s avatar

I agree that things have got to get better soon and hope we will all be living happily somwhere in spain soon? 

Like 0      
09 Dec 2008 6:31 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

When we moved here 8 years ag, houses on this small cul de sac were snapped up. If a house was on the market longer than a week, it must have been a real dog!! Prices have steadily gone up over the years until this year. The house over the road is a 4 bed detached and was put on the market at the beginning of the year with an asking price of £185,000. There are many sites on the net that will give you the selling price of properties, and this house has recently sold for £118,000!!! That is some discount .

Hopefully the market will be moving in the upwards direction when we finally decide to move. Unfortunately it will probably mean price increases in the Spanish property market too. That said, the UK market is different to the Spanish in as much there is an over supply in Spain, and under supply in the UK.

Touch wood!!

Mark

P.S. Cold here in Leeds too!

Like 0      
09 Dec 2008 7:43 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Right, lets get this into perspective.  The cost of new homes are really what drives the prices up and down.  A builder isn't going to build a house and sell it for less than it cost to build.  The target of 240,000 new houses in UK in the next year has not even reached a third of that (about 70,000) as builders are stopping building.  The ones they are selling now, at a knock down price, are merely being used to pay off loans to the banks which they took out to build these houses in the first place.  Working on a profit margin of about 25%, and the fact that house prices are reported to have fallen 25% in the last year, will mean that builders are now effectively working for nothing.  Now, the demand for new houses will pick up as they aren't being built.  Banks will have to start granting mortgages again (after all, banks are in business to lend money and get more back than they lent out) so the laws of supply and demand are bound to kick in again.  I reckon this should start happening fairly soon, about Spring of 2009 and we will see prices going back up.  Once that happens, people will start buying again as they will realise that houses will not go down any more and will want to buy before they go up too high (human nature, after all).  By Summer of 2009, prices will be around what they were early on this year and builders will start building again to gain that 25% profit.

As for the euro, yes it is at an all time low.  Unless our government does something really stupid (and don't put it past them) like announcing we are joining the euro therefore losing all confidence in the pound, then it will be realised that Europe is in a bad a state as we are and the pound will start rising.  The argument often trotted out for a weak pound is that it is good for exports.  Britain is no longer a super exporting power and our invisible earnings (banking, insurance etc) have been worth more than tangible exports for some time and we have been a gross importer for many years so the low pound simply puts prices up.  Germany, on the other hand, is one of the larges exporting nations in the world so a strong euro is bad for them.  If the pound keeps weakening, the price of our fuel goes up (priced in dollars) so something will have to be done.  I reckon you may see the pound falling even further this year but will rally in the New Year when people realise the parlous state of the big European countries.  I expect the pound to be around the 1.30 mark again by Spring and possible up to as high as 1.50 by Summer.

Now, if all the above comes true, apart from remembering you heard it first here, I'm going to make sure I enter every raffle and lottery that I possibly can.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Buying a LHD in UK or Spain?? - 1 posts
Are they now charging £100 a year for your card.. basically blackmail!!!!.. - 7 posts
SKY digibox going into standby - 4 posts
All done in a day - 2 posts
outdoor pool - 0 posts
Guardamar area - anyone know an aerial rigger? - 2 posts
Oil Filled Heaters - Wanted - 5 posts
MERRY CHRISTMAS.......... - 0 posts
Mar Menor Area - 0 posts
'Cheeky' Spanish tradition brings toilet humour at Christmas - 3 posts
For Sky/ Sky+ owners in Spain - 1 posts
2/3 bedroom apartment required - max 20 mins from Gibraltar - 4 posts
house for swap - 0 posts
OUR PETITION TO DOWNING STREET - 2 posts
WANTED 4 BMW ALLOY WHEELS! - 0 posts
Give Feedback - 7 posts
Poser for all you rental owners - 3 posts
White Goods and Air Con - 14 posts
EOS Christmas fun thread - add 3 words to a Christmas Carol!! - 102 posts
Tips on keeping your house warmer in winter - 0 posts
Unbelievable! - 9 posts
sat installer mar menor area - 4 posts
has anyone used villapac? - 3 posts
Animal Charity in the Costa del Sol - ADANA - 2 posts
Cheap phone calls from Spain - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x