What happens when the developer declares itself as bankrupt?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Oct 2008 12:00 AM by avicola Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

Can anyone tell me what happens in the case of a developer going bankrupt regarding any chance of getting money back, when there is no bank guarantee?

Is there anything one can do in the early stages to improve the chances of getting any form of financial benefit?

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 8:26 PM by Just Dan Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Assuming there are no assets then the same as this country and you get nothing.

This brings another question that someone will be asking

Assuming there was a bank guarantee.
What would happen if someone had one and it was the Bank that went belly up.
Would the Spanish government or the E.U take up the batton

Just Dan

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 9:26 PM by chills Star rating. 89 posts Send private message

Just Dan, I assume you mean baton?

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 9:26 PM by chills Star rating. 89 posts Send private message

Just Dan, I assume you mean baton?

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 9:28 PM by Just Dan Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Hi Chills
Yep I doo

Just Dan

Like 0      
13 Oct 2008 8:56 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
Avicola:

Please find answers/suggestions below in bold green: 

Can anyone tell me what happens in the case of a developer going bankrupt regarding any chance of getting money back, when there is no bank guarantee? It is important to take into account  if you have/ have not started a judicial action for contract cancellation. But in everycase, you need to bring a good legal defense ( for your credit being classified as privileged and special) before the Judicial Administrators and the Judge dealing with the company´s creditors meeting.

Is there anything one can do in the early stages to improve the chances of getting any form of financial benefit? Just to bring good legal defense on the special character of the credit to the communication of credits to the Administrators ( that is actually done in early stages of the creditor´s meeting procedure)

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
26 Oct 2008 5:22 PM by joeblog Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

is the question related to polarisworld?

Like 0      
26 Oct 2008 5:31 PM by avicola Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

No, it is not.

Like 0      
26 Oct 2008 5:40 PM by avicola Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

Many thanks for your reply Marie.  Sorry I have not thanked you earlier. 

Your answers were, as always, extremely helpful. 

(We have started court proceedings incidentally.)

Can anyone tell me how I can get information if a developer has become insolvent?

I told our solicitor that I had heard they had become insolvent (an acquaintance says that her bank manager told her they had gone bust or were about to), and he just said, oh well, all sorts of people say all sorts of things.

Which I agree is true, but I want to be at the front of the queue when it comes to a claim and I can see him missing a creditor's meeting.

Like 0      
27 Oct 2008 7:01 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
Avicola:

Regarding your question:

Can anyone tell me how I can get information if a developer has become insolvent?

You can find information in this website:

https://www.publicidadconcursal.es/concursal/jsp/home.jsp

Best regards,

Maria L. de Castro

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
29 Oct 2008 9:59 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Is it true that according to the Spanish Insolvency Act, a purchaser's credit against the developer, resulting from cancellation of the purchase contract is not classed as a privileged credit, but is classed as ordinary credit? The instance I am referring to here is where a purchaser has won their case against the developer and the contract is thereby cancelled, but the developer goes to appeal, and the purchaser at this point is awaiting an enforcement order  but in the interim the developer declares bankruptcy. If this is the case that the purchaser's credit in this circumstance is only classed as ordinary, it makes a mockery of winning the case in the first place...... as the purchaser is lower down the pecking order re credits after winning their case! I'm confused, so an explanation would be most welcome.

Like 0      
30 Oct 2008 9:57 AM by avicola Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

I too would be extremely interested in any information re ads posting.

When the contractors are clearly in breach of contract - and yet to be classed as ordinary credit, would be a bitter blow indeed.

And the courts hardly  help when the case takes several years to be heard, during which time the developer becomes insolvent.  Who is to blame I wonder - surely not the claimant!

Seems as if you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

Like 0      
30 Oct 2008 10:05 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Welcome to the wonderful world of Spanish Justice!  IE, there is none. .....especially if you are a foreigner!

Ask Maria de Castro. She is very good at answering our questions.

Like 0      
30 Oct 2008 10:07 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Maria we would be most grateful for an answer on this please.

Like 0      
07 Nov 2008 11:55 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Maria we would be most grateful for an answer on this please (see posts below dated 29th October onwards ):

Many thanks.

Like 0      
07 Nov 2008 12:38 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Ads, cut aqnd paste your question and send it to Maria via a pm. Most lawyers finish at lunch time on a Friday I believe!!

Like 0      
07 Nov 2008 2:07 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Thanks Tish .....will do.

Like 0      
11 Nov 2008 10:52 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Just thought that I would provide an update received from Maria on this:

Dear Ads:

Thanks for your message. Please have answers below in bold green ( in your same text):

Dear Maria,

I wonder if you would be so kind as to respond to my query on the EOS website under the thread "What happens when the developer declares himself bankrupt" . The query posted on October 29th was as follows:

Is it true that according to the Spanish Insolvency Act, a purchaser's credit against the developer, resulting from cancellation of the purchase contract is not classed as a privileged credit, but is classed as ordinary credit? Bankruptcy act is very new and admit different interpretations. Some Commercial Law judges deffend the credit is privileged and special and that you have got a  tacit legal mortgage on the property you were buying. That is the line we deffend in our Law Firm.  The instance I am referring to here is where a purchaser has won their case against the developer and the contract is thereby cancelled, but the developer goes to appeal, and the purchaser at this point is awaiting an enforcement order  but in the interim the developer declares bankruptcy. If this is the case that the purchaser's credit in this circumstance is only classed as ordinary, it makes a mockery of winning the case in the first place...... as the purchaser is lower down the pecking order re credits after winning their case! Your credit against the developer has a clear value ( what the Court decission covers)  and, of course, you are in a very favourbale position to deffend that your credit is privileged and special. I'm confused, so an explanation would be most welcome.

Thanks once again to Maria for her advice.

If I understand this correctly then it is up to the defending lawyer to defend the credit as priviledged and special and just hope that  you get a judge that accepts this interpretation....... I wonder if any legal precedent has yet been established in a case such as this?

What concerns me is that this appears as yet another instance of  pure chance, a lottery if you will, depending on which judge hears the case.

This message was last edited by ads on 11/11/2008.

Like 0      
15 Nov 2008 9:59 AM by coleen Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

Many thanks Marie for your very helpful reply, and also to Ads for posting it.

I agree with you Ads, that it does seem a complete lottery.  And it seems the best you can do yourself is to get a good solicitor.  And that is the problem for a lot of us on here I think.

People talk of changing solicitors.  I wish I knew at what point and what the criteria is.  

Our solicitor is slow, slow, but that seems normal.

He does not respond to emails, but that also seems normal. 

But he does always respond to telephone calls, so no complaints there.

But we only ever seem to get  half the story.  He said we had a good case to annul the contract as it is 2 years over the contracted date.  We instigated proceeedings June 08 and only now does he tell us it might take 7 years (we are in the Canaries).

We asked him to contact the developers with a view to discussing a deal, but he still hasn't done that a month later. 

First of all he was waiting for them to recieve the 'demanda'

Then he was waiting for them to have their 20 days to respond

And now he still hasnt done it because he doesnt want us to look 'nervous.'

And yet he has asked me to stop keep ringing up becaue 'he will ring me when he knows anything.'

I would change in an instant, except we have already paid 4,500 euros to him and our money is now very low.

Like 0      
15 Nov 2008 8:28 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Answering to ADS: ( Below in bold green)

Thanks once again to Maria for her advice. You are most welcome.

If I understand this correctly then it is up to the defending lawyer to defend the credit as priviledged and special and just hope that  you get a judge that accepts this interpretation.......  Correct, you present that request to judicial administrators first and if they do not accpet it, you go to the Judge.I wonder if any legal precedent has yet been established in a case such as this? They have been established, by Commercial Court in Cadiz for instance.

What concerns me is that this appears as yet another instance of  pure chance, a lottery if you will, depending on which judge hears the case. 

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

commercial property villamartin or quasada - 0 posts
small commercial unit - 0 posts
Painting Walls and Properties in the Community - 1 posts
Damp problems and answers - 8 posts
Buying a rustic property - 15 posts
Ford fiesta - 0 posts
Maybe Good New's - 2 posts
Work Wanted... Query for Justin. - 7 posts
newbie in need - 2 posts
Are There 2 Torreviejas? - 9 posts
Airlines forward buying their fuel - 0 posts
LOOKING FOR FURNITURE - 3 posts
quasada or villamartin - 5 posts
What is happening - 0 posts
Spanish Holiday - 4 posts
Finally all Completed!! The long and winding road! - 3 posts
EasyJet online check in - 9 posts
Damp in property Mar Menor - 1 posts
House & Animal Sit in Lubrin, Almeria - 0 posts
Taxes & charges - 5 posts
HELLO ALL - 4 posts
Parador's Payment Schedule! - 2 posts
Poliza de Afiancamiento - 2 posts
Nicky - 0 posts
jinlun 125 cruiser for sale - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 24

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x