Are There 2 Torreviejas?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Oct 2008 12:00 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

As an avid reader of many forums relating to the area I have chosen to make my home (none as good as this, I hasten to add), I find some surprising posts about a place I have been visiting for the past seven years.  It begs the question, Are there 2 Torreviejas?  The one these people go to and the one I visit?  Am I living in a parallel universe to these people?

Their Torrevieja is dangerous, crime-ridden, muggers on every street corner and they daren’t go to any of the markets because they will have their handbags snatched, wallets nicked, be conned by every trader they have the temerity to speak to and you will be left lying in the gutter bleeding from every bit of your body that can bleed.

My Torrevieja has a thriving street culture, wonderful markets with friendly stall-holders (alright, they’re trying to sell you something but what’s new?).  The lookey-lookey men are a pleasant distraction and a polite no is immediately accepted.  Never had anything nicked, camera bag strap slashed or seen any violence whatsoever.

Their Torrevieja has a home broken into every minute.  One poster says every flat in his complex has been broken into (some several times) and the security guards and police totally ignore it.

My Torrevieja does have crime and I’m not denying it.  However, my flat is only a couple of k away from the every flat broken into and there have been 3 burglaries in my street in the last 7 years.  My new place, north of Torrevieja, is a new build and has had no break-ins at all.  The security guard waves and smiles as he walks past and the police presence, in my new place and in Torrevieja, is very high and reassuring.

Their Torrevieja is, to paraphrase, a toilet and covered in graffiti.

My Torrevieja is a lively town with pleasant walks.  I love the sea front with its vast diversity of reasonably priced restaurants and coffee bars, the walk from the port along the promenade to Playa de los Locos is a genuine treat.  The hustle and bustle of the streets reminds me that I am in a different country and, even after 7 years, I’m still amazed at how different it all is, in a nice and friendly way.  I have seen worse graffiti in many, many other European towns and cities and far, far worse in UK towns.

Their Torrevieja has a corrupt, racist police force who often beat up the British just because they can.

My Torrevieja has a police force that enforces the laws fairly and equally.  I have had two brush ins with the police (1 Policia Local, 1 Guardia Civil) and they have been helpful, efficient and conscientious on both occasions.  The Policia Local chap was very apologetic when he had to give me a parking ticket and the Guardia Civil gave me advice on how to contact the hire car company and helped me fill in the forms after a traffic accident.

Their Torrevieja is full of Spanish who hate the British, who don’t realise that they would still be riding donkeys and living in hovels if it wasn’t for all the money the Brits have brought into the area.

My Torrevieja has a smiling Spanish populace who go out of their way to help you if you have the decency to speak in their language.  They give you advice on where to go, where not to go and where to obtain things if you they can’t help in that department.  They are a hard-working people with a strong, family-orientated tradition.

Their Torrevieja has a Carrefour store where the assistants won’t help you, where you ask for things and are ignored, where the customer service won’t lift a finger.

My Torrevieja has a Carrefour where they explain about the goods, will walk to the aisle with you to show where things are, who deliver larger items the next day at the time they say and at no charge and where they apologise if something is not fit for purpose and change it there and then.

Their Torrevieja is too hot in the Summer and too cold in the Winter.

My Torrevieja also gets hot but I love it.  Isn’t that why most Northern Europeans move there, anyway?  It gets chilly but bearable and I very rarely have to wear a thick jacket except at night.

Their Torrevieja has dirty, sewage infested waters surrounding scrubby beaches filled with North Africans trying to steal all your belongings.

My Torrevieja has lovely, clean Blue Flag beaches lapped by the cooling, clear waters of the Mediterranean.  All of them a joy to visit and anyone stuffing their belongings in their trainers whilst they go half a mile away to have a swim deserves to get their stuff nicked, if only to teach them a lesson.

I apologise for the lengthy post and I could go on about many things.  I am sure I do not walk around with rose-tinted spectacles all the time and feel that I have made absolutely the right choice for my future home.  Fortunately, my wife agrees with me. As another example,  Their Torrevieja urbanisations are full of the neighbours from hell who have uprooted from sink estates in the UK to follow them here and make their life a misery.

My Torrevieja has lovely neighbours of many nationalities who are friendly, helpful and excellent company.

All I can say is, I’m glad I’m moving to My Torrevieja and not Their Torrevieja.

Like 0      
10 Oct 2008 7:33 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

A sad day for your area ,Sorry if igot this news wrong but i have heard on the news that your area has had heavy rains and was there 2 people who died near you with all the rain?irene

This message was last edited by irenemontague on 10/10/2008.

Like 0      
10 Oct 2008 7:42 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Near Valencia, I believe.  Long way from Torrevieja.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7663631.stm

Like 0      
10 Oct 2008 9:40 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
A long way from Torre, but none the less sad for that I am sure all will agree.

Love your opening post Bob. Amusing but strangely accurate.I see however that you are going to be a few miles up the road At Guardamar, a town I enjoy very much.I hope I beat you over there but the way the housing market is in the UK  I am beginning to have my doubts. Still onward and upward, things could pick up tomorrow.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
11 Oct 2008 6:02 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

hi does anyone know this area i am looking at dehesa de campoamor costa blanca i have been looking at a house in this area on the web is it a nice area our overbuilt ?any problems there ?please thank you irene

Like 0      
11 Oct 2008 6:39 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Just below the Orihuela Costa area as Torrevieja ends.  Depends on which side of road.  Not overly, overbuilt but has quite a lot of high-rise flats rented and is very close to the beach.
Look at the information on this site under the Campoamor guide http://www.eyeonspain.com/areaguides/guide-Dehesa-de-Campoamor-13.aspx#map
and this will give you more info.  They are also building on the north side of the N332 at the moment but seems to have petered out on my visit last month.

Like 0      
11 Oct 2008 11:52 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

hi thanks for getting back to me its a 3bed villa and it is by the 5 star hotel but thats all i know so far  is it ok there by the hotel?thanks irene

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 2:14 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Obviously very busy in the Summer with cars parked all the way down to the beach.  Stayed at a hotel in the area (on the other side of the beach) and it was quite quiet and pleasant.  A few shops in the area but can't recall any supermarkets within walking distance although it isn't far to drive up to Playa Flamenca.  The area with the high rise apartments are also on the other side of the beach from where you mention and you're area is all residential with mainly detached or quad house.  Very nice area but really only visit it to go the beach as my Grandkids think it's great.  A couple of bars in the area but seemed very seasonal and not sure if they open during the winter months. 

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 5:56 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

hi thanks for your help will that villa be to the left of the road or the right side near the beach, got the map you told me to look at thanks irene

This message was last edited by irenemontague on 10/12/2008.

Like 0      
12 Oct 2008 7:55 PM by daveym Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Many thanks.  When I read some of the posts I wonder if I have done the right thing buying in Los Altos.  But all it takes is a little break and I know it was a great thing to do.  Cant wait to retire there but in the mean time I will watch Torreviejca and the Costa Blanca go from strength to strength.  its not perfect but its getting there.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Airlines forward buying their fuel - 0 posts
LOOKING FOR FURNITURE - 3 posts
quasada or villamartin - 5 posts
What is happening - 0 posts
Spanish Holiday - 4 posts
Finally all Completed!! The long and winding road! - 3 posts
EasyJet online check in - 9 posts
Damp in property Mar Menor - 1 posts
House & Animal Sit in Lubrin, Almeria - 0 posts
Taxes & charges - 5 posts
HELLO ALL - 4 posts
Parador's Payment Schedule! - 2 posts
Poliza de Afiancamiento - 2 posts
Nicky - 0 posts
jinlun 125 cruiser for sale - 5 posts
Air Conditioning - 9 posts
You know that you are old when.................................................... - 2 posts
Alboran v La Envia - 0 posts
dongles and werbles - 6 posts
Live(ish) flight arrivals/ departures information - 2 posts
PE RATTAN FURNITURE - 2 posts
OUT OF WORK. - 5 posts
Fraudulent 'Owners' - 22 posts
Is this true? - 1 posts
Credit Crunch - 34 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x