Telefonica

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
I see they have an offer on their broadband/landline package at the moment.
A tenner a month for 3 months and then €40 a month for 6mb plus free Spanish calls.
Would you say it was a good deal or are there cheaper suppliers around?

Ta

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 6:29 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
I'd say it's a good deal. 
Yes, there may be cheaper offers, but all providers depend on Telefonica's infrastructure still (except maybe satelite etc) and for my money you're better off with the Devil we all know and love so well! Don't be led by offers of 20+mbps - it's highly unlikely you'll ever get close to that. I have 6mbps with Telefonica, but when I run a speed check I'm rarely getting more than 1mbps in reality (which is generally perfectly adequate anyway)
I pay €38 per month for the ADSL - no free calls included. Remember that you will have line rental as well (or is that included in the €40?). All told, my bill (without making any calls) comes to €67 per month with IVA.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 7:20 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
Hi Roberto.

Yours sounds a lot more expensive!

I think the website is saying that it's €41 including line rental, national calls, 6mb broadband and a free wireless hub.

My Spanish is still only at the "passable" stage.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 7:47 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Can you give  me the link to the page you're looking at? I found this, which is offering the package you described, but for €25,90 for the first 12 months, and then €40,90 per month. But scroll down to the section headed Línea Individual - I pay €18,75, because with that you get the full back up service when things go wrong (and they do!) But you do need a line to start with. They don't make this very clear, admittedly.
Also, don't forget to add on 16% vat (IVA).
It all adds up!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 9:10 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

I used this..

Then clicked on the tengo linea tab. 

The house had a live telephone line but the Spanish builder who reformed the house appears to have chopped it.
Not sure how that leaves us. 

Oh yes... I forgot about the perishing taxes.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 10:15 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
"The house had a live telephone line" - not for free, though?
You will need the line reconnected, and have to pay line rental - but connection is free (alta) with all the packages shown on the website. (except Mini)
There are some providers who in effect buy the lines from Telefonica, and then offer the customer a complete package (i.e. you don't have to pay any Telefonica line rental) with no charge for the line rental. But remember, if Telefonica's lines are down, it makes no difference who your provider is, because they still have the monopoly on the physical infrastructure.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 10:22 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
Nope...   it wasn't free but it went into the hallway for the previous owner. 
I may have to pay for the line to be brought back in, perhaps?

I think we'll probably go for it, as you say, they are all connected through Telefonica anyway. 
Thanks Roberto. 

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 10:24 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
Hi Guys,

Interesting reading!

I took the 6mb Telefonica deal last week (Monday 19th Sept) and it was installed that Thursday!

The Wireless router is a pretty decent bit of kit, it's on the G+ wireless standard, so the range is also pretty good. Will change it in November for my Belkin N1 router (which is in the UK at the mo), much greater range and secuirty, as the built-in firewall on the Belkin is fantastic. I must admit I haven't had a chance to look at my Telefonica router's firewall, but will let you know what I find.

Point to note, I told them that I DIDN'T want their telephone, instead I went to Carefour in Estepona and purchased a phone pack, and thus I am saving the 'Linea' charge of 14€ a month. I know this means I won't get the 'back up' from Telefonica, but then again if I have any probs with my Wireless Router then I can fix it myself. If there is a line fault, then it will be at either the communal or the local exchange,in which case they will have to fix it!

As for speed, very, very impressed. Mind you the overalll speed that will be maintained will be down to the quality of the land-lines in your area, and as we are a new build, the quality is top notch. Again, I will 'interogate' my router later and let you know what I find with regards to the link speed/quality and the firewall.

One last thing, I had a friend with a Telefoncia line ring 1004 and give my details over the phone, so that's why it was done so quick.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 10:51 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Hi Technoape.

Interesting to see someone who has the setup.

We have a Belkin router too, which will be going with us at the end of October.

It's a bit difficult to arrange in advance, as they'll need access and my key holder is now working long hours.

I don't understand how you don't pay line rental. Isn't it like BT where you have to pay for the line anyway?

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 11:33 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
Hi Laury,

The line rental is included in the ADSL/Telephone Line bundle at 40,90€ per month.

The 14€ per month is for the rental of THIER phone, they might call it 'line' rental, but it is in fact for thier phone, just like BT used to do years ago in the UK. This also includes access to a technical help-line, but I don't need that as I can sort it out myself, as by the sounds so can you.

The cost of the phone pack, which is a Binatone Triple Cordless pack, was 49,90€ from Carefour in Estepona, which is less than 3 months line(phone) rental.

With regards to the UK Belkin routers, I don't know if they will work out here, as the UK telephones don't because the pairing (ring and line) is different. Having said that I will try it when we move over on the 30th November, and if it doesn't then I will go to Carefour and buy one from them.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 11:39 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Ah I see.

I remember the days of having to pay rental for the phone. Especially when we got the new super duper trimphone. haha

In that case we do it without the phone rental and buy like you. 

I was a bit thick there because we had already assumed our British phones wouldn't work over there, so why did I think the router would?

I suppose it could be classed as a blonde moment, except i'm not blonde.

How did you make sure you got the right deal then? Do they speak English or is my iffy Spanish going to have to do the deal. 

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 11:50 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
Apparently they DO speak English, however I asked our very good Spanish friend if she would be so kind and ring them for me! 

You could also ask your Lawyer to do it for you, but I assume they would charge you for it!

Again I'm not sure about UK routers working in Spain, I'm assuming they won't but it wouldn't hurt to try.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 1:18 PM by jj1111 Star rating in Casares del Sol. 21 posts Send private message

jj1111´s avatar
I found Telefonica very efficient as they had my router and phone installed within three days of order. The only problem I have with them is the DD comes out of the bank before I get the bill.

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 1:36 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
Another happy customer? Sort of?

DDs come out of our bank account in England without me seeing bills too. I suppose it would just be a fight if they took the wrong amount. 

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 1:48 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

concerning the belkin router for both of you I presume that these are adsl belkin routers in other words they are ones that people use if they have a bt line and not cable.

If so the routers should still work as the socket marked line on the routers is live on all pins it is only the telephone cable from your phone socket that is different

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 2:03 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Oh brilliant news Conrad. Thanks.

It will be packed in the car on the last day then.
It's the wireless hub. 

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 2:24 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

Laury whats the model number and i will check.

when you set it up in spain you will have to change the modulation though to how it is in spain as over here it is GDMT where in spain it might be something else the instructions should come with your broadband line so check with that

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 2:58 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Oh darn. I forgot.

The Belkin packed up and we're now using Netgear.  .. which seems to be  a better hub. 

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 3:38 PM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar
Have a look at Iberbanda http://www.iberbanda.es/ (sadly now owned by Telefónica). 

If you have cover (the web site will tell you) then you can microwave link to the internet and get 300 mins free calls a month for 39€.

We use it and I must say that it works well in spite of being part of Telefónica.

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 4:05 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
I don't really understand, i'm afraid. Does it just cover Quesada on the Costa Blanca? 
That was all that came up when I did a search. It just seemed to offer me a satellite alternative.
My Spanish isn't brilliant yet so I may have completely the wrong end of the stick.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hairpoint, Dutch hairdresser in Guardamar del Segura - 0 posts
Missing Garage Roof - 0 posts
palmera properties/mirador group - 16 posts
Doors/Gates - 1 posts
DIESEL - drop in price - 26 posts
Instant Access Properties Limited - In Administration - 0 posts
I'm totally confused. - 11 posts
When do I have to pay property taxes - 2 posts
Looking for an apartment near Torrevieja - 5 posts
Anyone know about property prices in El Galan, Villamartin? - 6 posts
How do I get on tne Hacienda forum ? - 6 posts
Medical emergency telephone number - 5 posts
TM Update - From the Guardia Website and other webpages... - 2 posts
moving FROM Madrid to East Anglia - 0 posts
equivalent to bupa ? - 2 posts
does anyone know of any papers offered in braille - 1 posts
ferry to spain - only option ? - 14 posts
flying with pets - 9 posts
Deeds of sale signed in the presence of a non Spanish Notary - 0 posts
Anyone know anything about apart-sol estate agent - 0 posts
SUMAS - 15 posts
recomendations of a good estate agent in riviera del sol - 0 posts
Financial crisis in personal terms - 1 posts
BEWARE.......another con.............. - 19 posts
Aifos Torreblanca - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 30

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x