SUMAS

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar
Hi

Can anyone tell me whether it is correct that these have to be paid in person, or can anyone go to an appropriate bank and pay them? If they are not paid on time, I understand that a surcharge is levied, but again, if anyone can tell me what this surcharge is, I'd appreciate it.

Many thanks in anticipation of a valued answer!!!!

Irene

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 7:58 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Anyone can pay them in cash, they don't care who brings the money in! Usually the bills will state on them which banks you can pay them at. If paying in cash, make sure the receipts are stamped paid.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 8:05 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Morerosado started a thread about an information leaflet produced by her community.

It lists everything that is produced by SUMA and how to pay, where to pay and how to set up direct debits for future payment.  I think the surcharge is 20% if you don't pay it by end of September.

Thread is two down from this one.

What you need is the bill, if you have that then anyone can pay it at the appropriate bank.  The instructions are in this leaflet of how to pay at the acceptable banks.

Incidently I'm having problems with this years payment, I informed my Solicitors last december that I'd changed banks, payment hasn't come out of my bank account so I've phoned, faxed my Solicitors and finally received an answer from them.  Suma has amended the bank details for 2009 but this years payment Suma is trying to get from my previous bank and they have to wait 20 days for the payment to be returned    

Until it's returned then there's nothing that can be done about it or at least that's what I been told today.  Who's at fault I don't know, I just want to pay the bill.  As it normally comes out of my bank account on 3 September it could come back any day.  Just waiting to see if I have to pay a penalty.

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 11:18 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar
Thanks for the info. Ours apparently are due by the end of October I'm told. But we were also told that we had to go and pay them in person.

Never mind, we've booked a long weekend trip to sort it out - any excuse!!!!

Irene

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 10:31 PM by saffronbilli Star rating in Dorset and Villamart.... 63 posts Send private message

One thing we have discovered is that the SUMA is due to be paid by whoever owns the property on the 1st January in any year. As we didnt complete until the 15th January, it is the builders responsibility to pay this years and we will be billed for next year. Our solicitors phoned the SUMA office in Playa Flamenca to check this for us and in fact they are going to set up the direct debit for the future. (At a small cost though, but good to get it sorted correctly!)

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 10:47 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
One thing to bear in mind, though, is that the developer / builder almost certainly won't pay this years contribution. In the future if you want to sell, this outstanding debt will come to light - and unfortunately, by law, the debt goes with the property. 
This seems wrong, and also a bit of a grey area. How can you ensure the bill is paid, when it's not yours to pay?
We also signed in January. The IBI bill for that year was hand delivered, into our mail box, but was addressed, correctly, to the developer. Some of our neighbours, who all received the same, sent the bills back to the developer. They got stuffed back in their boxes a couple of weeks later! For the sake of a couple of hundred euros, in the long run, and for peace of mind that we would not have a problem years down the line with an unpaid debt plus accrued interest / penalties, we paid it ourselves. It simply would not be worth the cost and hassle to pursue the developer through the courts (if they even still exist years on) for such an amount.
Having said that, one of our neighbours claims to have been to the town hall (SUMA, to those in Alicante area) and got some kind of letter from them stating that the debt will not go with the property if it remains unpaid by the developer. I've not seen said document so cannot vouch for it's validity, but it may be worth asking the questions anyway.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 9:37 AM by la-calma Star rating in Wiltshire, Playa Fl.... 13 posts Send private message

The last payment date for Alicante is 3 October.  

Surcharges or fines are 5% if paid before the final demand and 10% after the final demand rising to 20%.  Exact details on the suma website, sorry I can't post a link.   

Like 0      
26 Sep 2008 5:01 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Thanks for that info, very handy to know.  Gives me a couple of extra days to sort it out if necessary, I thought it had to be paid by end of September.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2009 2:50 PM by Laineechad Star rating in Manchester and Las F.... 43 posts Send private message

Laineechad´s avatar

Can anyone offer any help please, we have been told different stories about the Suma, one neighbour is telling us that we dont get a bill as such that we just have to go to the town hall and pay money, another one is telling us that we have to wait for a bill and that because they havent already sent us one that we DONT have to pay any arrears, all we have to pay is just one year, we signed for our apartment in October 2006, we havent had any kind of bill other than water, electricity community charges and wealth tax, can anyone help me on this please

Thanks a lot

Elaine

Like 0      
06 Jan 2009 4:02 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Is it a newly built property? If so, it often takes a couple of years or more for the town hall to get their act together and issue the bills. Then you may get hit with several years bills in one go.

If it was a resale, more than a couple of years old, you should recieve a bill by post. If you have not received it, maybe the town hall (SUMA?) don't have your correct details. You, or your legal rep., should have advised them when you bought the property, of the change of owner.

In either case, for your own peace of mind, go to the town hall / SUMA office, with your escritura (or copia simple) and ask. They will advise you of any outstanding bills.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
06 Jan 2009 4:29 PM by Laineechad Star rating in Manchester and Las F.... 43 posts Send private message

Laineechad´s avatar

Thank you, sorry for sounding a bit of an idiot, but are we already supposed to  have these documents or would the bank or solicitor have them as it is on a mortgage, it is a newbuild by the way

Like 0      
06 Jan 2009 4:51 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

What documents? Do you mean the escritura? That is your deed. You should have received a shortened version of it, which is called a copia simple, when you signed for the property. If you don't have at least that, what do you have to prove that it's your property?

If you really don't have a copia simple, get in touch with your solicitor ASAP and ask them to send you one.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
06 Jan 2009 5:40 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Are your solicitors dealing with your financial affairs, do they prepare your tax form for wealth tax/renta?  If so then they will be contacting the Suma office and when the bills for the years 2007 and 2008 are ready for payment they will contact you to advise you that x amount needs to be placed in your bank account for the payment to be made.

You are not liable for any payment for 2006 as the tax is calculated for whoever owns a property on January 1st each year.

Once payment has been made then the following years can be paid via direct debit from your bank account.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2009 10:43 PM by Laineechad Star rating in Manchester and Las F.... 43 posts Send private message

Laineechad´s avatar

Yeah we do have a copia simple and our solicitor has dealt with our taxes and so on, so I will get in touch with them and mention this to them and then we should get some kind of bill, thank you so much

Like 0      
06 Jan 2009 11:07 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

It can take up to three years before you receive your first Suma (IBI) bills, best advice is to start loading  your account now so that the funds are there waiting for the last two years payments.

You could find that you will receive these demands and then shortly after have to pay the 2009 bill due in August/September this year.

Like 0      
07 Jan 2009 12:18 AM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi Roberto sorry to say but  a new build in fuengirola the council are more up to date and they billed us in 3 months for the first ibi bill bye irene

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

recomendations of a good estate agent in riviera del sol - 0 posts
Financial crisis in personal terms - 1 posts
BEWARE.......another con.............. - 19 posts
Aifos Torreblanca - 0 posts
Success! - 9 posts
Should you complete without a habitation certificate? - 77 posts
Good morning every one! - 9 posts
bank guaruntee - 66 posts
LHD car wanted. RHD to sell. - 0 posts
How Much Tax Do I Pay ?? - 9 posts
Hallo - 1 posts
5% Retention - 2 posts
Pool Table - 5 posts
Aifos Mail on Sunday Article - 10 posts
BUSINESS PARTNER - 0 posts
Newbie from Guardamar - Sky TV - 1 posts
We've moved in .... - 20 posts
Purchase of spanish apartment - 1 posts
Hi everybody - 5 posts
Television Licence - 5 posts
Newe member - 3 posts
EASYJET HAVE CANCELLED A FLIGHT! - 33 posts
wealth and income tax - 127 posts
TDT TV guide - 3 posts
Parcela - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x